• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

amberjack on a 3lb livebait hell of a battle mutton snapper

birds mean fishshark on fly

a few caught on lures flies and livebaits going back some 25 yrs hardest fight from any fish ive had

one of me mate having a wrestle with a lemon shark est 200lb on a 12wt set up , I chummed a few sharks lemons and nurse to the back of the boat then he hooked up , I had a kip for hour and 1/2 and they woke me up when got it side of the boat lol destiny11294.jpg22a2a90c-694b-4792-ab16-f5325eb9f781_zpsdestiny11154.jpgdestiny11116.jpg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 3

Brilliant!!

cheers Nk it can be predator heaven some islands are over fished and cudas are highly prized for food but get away from the crowds and the action can be immense , and if the bones arnt around these blue jacks on an 8wt are great fishing P5170120_zpskkmqgwfn.jpg

I was sold as a very young lad on this type of dream fishing.. unfortunately I've only experienced it in dispatches, I love the idea of being involved in a small community for a few weeks and fishing plus mucking in.. close to heaven in my book... I will do it.

Love these pics mate/.

Many years ago I went to Kenya on a safari holiday, stayed in a hotel right on the beach, and as always took a bit of fishing gear.

I'm not one for sitting on my ass reading a book, so me and my ex headed off along the beach one day, past all the hotels and into the "wild" lol... out of the palm trees a little old man appeared.. "i'll show you things he said"... I was a bit reluctant and just wanted a wander, but in the end he convinced me... he ran out onto the reef and started picking up big crabs and showing us fish etc.. then he shouts something to a bloke sat amongst the palms, and matey comes running down with a spear.. " oh f**k I thought" I'm a good few miles away from the hotel with a few Africans and spear!!

Next thing the little old fella, starts stalking through the shallow water on the reef, then Whack hit the water with the end of the spear, then stabs it in and pulls up a moray eel ( about 5 or 6 lb) he holds it over his head on the spear, massive grin, me and the ex are clapping him his mates laughing and whooping... It was great.

I gave him a little money for our unofficial guided tour, he was so pleased the next morning he was at our hotel with a bag of limes ( his daughter had picked) and some material ( like a table cloth) which his wife had given us. He said it was from Zanzibar and they were famous for this material.. very nice as he had nothing.

So he says to me, would you like to come and fish with me and my cousin," too right" says |I, so we set a date for the next morning to go out on his cousins "boat".

I'm on the beach at 6-30am and watch 2 men paddling a tree along, my mate up the front big smile on his face, it was a carc=ved out canoe.. I put the rod on and jumped on.. he laughed at the rod and handed me a hand line with a bit of coral for a weight and a rusty hook.. I gave them most of my hooks lol...

These boys were dab hands with hand lines and were catching lots of reef fish, I was useless and the took the piss lol..

They took me along the beach a bit and lit a fire amongst the palm trees, made some skewers and hung the fish over them, when they were cooked he cut a lime open and squirted it over and handed it to me.. it maybe a romantic notion but that was the tastiest fish \I've ever had...

We sat and talked, well sign languaged and broken English lol... a great experience,... I gave him maybe £20.00 on teh first day I met him and he gave me a life long memory.. fair exchange I reckon!!

• Like 8

that's a great write up NK I know where your coming from sounds a great moment in lifes journey ,I have had some of my best times whilst visiting some far away places , 1 comes to mind instantly, a deck chair attendant offered to take me out on my first visit to cuba he saw me catching small permit off the beach with a fly rod while I was on a family holiday he spoke no English I spoke no Spanish but we arranged for him to take me out on the ocean the following day for a tenner , I was buzzing at the thought of trolling the yo-zuris for cudas and casting a 10 weight at savalou and macarbi the only words I knew in Spanish = tarpon and bonefish , as I stood on the beach at the meeting point he arrived in fukin pedalo lol his little legs blurred as I sat with me feet up tending the rod facing the other way , after an hour of him sweating buckets I realised the maniac had me over 2miles from shore in a pedalo , we were fishless and he was fkd then he decided to anchor up , off he dives in with 100lb mono in his hands and ties it off on a rock he then gets the hand line out he catches an array of snapper he taught me how to use it tbh it is the most effective way of catching fish ,on the way back he dives at a coral head and comes up with 2 lobster top and bottom of it I never see a cuda a bonefish or a tarpon I give him a few spools of line hooks and sinkers he insists I go to his house which was amazingly run down no windows no paint and a bit of tin sheet of a roof no electric or water makes me feel how lucky we all are, in amongst the kids dog ckickens his mrs knocked up the most tasty snapper stuffed with lobster meal ive had , tops up the tenner I gave him was a months wage for him still couldn't understand what the fuk he was saying tho lol

• Like 4

a

Brilliant!!

cheers Nk it can be predator heaven some islands are over fished and cudas are highly prized for food but get away from the crowds and the action can be immense , and if the bones arnt around these blue jacks on an 8wt are great fishing P5170120_zpskkmqgwfn.jpg

I was sold as a very young lad on this type of dream fishing.. unfortunately I've only experienced it in dispatches, I love the idea of being involved in a small community for a few weeks and fishing plus mucking in.. close to heaven in my book... I will do it.

Love these pics mate/.

Many years ago I went to Kenya on a safari holiday, stayed in a hotel right on the beach, and as always took a bit of fishing gear.

I'm not one for sitting on my ass reading a book, so me and my ex headed off along the beach one day, past all the hotels and into the "wild" lol... out of the palm trees a little old man appeared.. "i'll show you things he said"... I was a bit reluctant and just wanted a wander, but in the end he convinced me... he ran out onto the reef and started picking up big crabs and showing us fish etc.. then he shouts something to a bloke sat amongst the palms, and matey comes running down with a spear.. " oh f**k I thought" I'm a good few miles away from the hotel with a few Africans and spear!!

Next thing the little old fella, starts stalking through the shallow water on the reef, then Whack hit the water with the end of the spear, then stabs it in and pulls up a moray eel ( about 5 or 6 lb) he holds it over his head on the spear, massive grin, me and the ex are clapping him his mates laughing and whooping... It was great.

I gave him a little money for our unofficial guided tour, he was so pleased the next morning he was at our hotel with a bag of limes ( his daughter had picked) and some material ( like a table cloth) which his wife had given us. He said it was from Zanzibar and they were famous for this material.. very nice as he had nothing.

So he says to me, would you like to come and fish with me and my cousin," too right" says |I, so we set a date for the next morning to go out on his cousins "boat".

I'm on the beach at 6-30am and watch 2 men paddling a tree along, my mate up the front big smile on his face, it was a carc=ved out canoe.. I put the rod on and jumped on.. he laughed at the rod and handed me a hand line with a bit of coral for a weight and a rusty hook.. I gave them most of my hooks lol...

These boys were dab hands with hand lines and were catching lots of reef fish, I was useless and the took the piss lol..

They took me along the beach a bit and lit a fire amongst the palm trees, made some skewers and hung the fish over them, when they were cooked he cut a lime open and squirted it over and handed it to me.. it maybe a romantic notion but that was the tastiest fish \I've ever had...

We sat and talked, well sign languaged and broken English lol... a great experience,... I gave him maybe £20.00 on teh first day I met him and he gave me a life long memory.. fair exchange I reckon!!

then theres the storys of the ones that get away ? we all got plenty of them eh mate and there normally the biggest b147c45c-0a32-45e7-b0f6-0436a43611cb_zpsIMG_5811_zps3btuycgs.jpga big ole houndfish on the fly IMG_5915_zps6mew2frv.jpged606bae-90c8-4d1c-ad62-e4bb6ccf8f08_zps
  • Like 3

Great tale mate...

couple of downers from a few years back in the days before waterproof camersa done 2 cameras with a stack of photos of bonefish jacks and snappers when I stumbled when wading the flats and on another trip done another camera with some great shots of sharks and cudas when we rented a boat and attempted to land on a far off off cay and misjudged the landing and rolled the boat in the surf lol shit happens just have to keep on . the joy of stalking a group of big jacks when the reel starts singing and the pain of loosing it IMG_6864_zpsxlbuezgf.jpgIMG_6898_zpsnaabr6pi.jpg Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2

My aunt n uncle lived in the small community of expats at the far end of diani beach mombasa .It was between the hotels and the fishing village .After making friends with local men ali and jumah they would take me and my mate out fishing. They were earning fair money taking people out to the reef low tide ,then picking us up and fishing for the rest of the day.It was a dugout with a sail and outriggers , made by jumahs grandad and held together with rope n prayers . They outfished us most of the time with their handlines .got a pic of huge hound fish that ali caught after wrapping the line round his toe while bailing out . Was hilarious and will never forget him trying to untie it. Even with the language barrier love if fishing united us ,and jumah and my mates love of big women .

• Like 4

airborne cuda putting the chop on a 2lb live bait then shedding the part with the hook in lol 8f162649-e7b2-457d-9afa-1a605a745447_zps974fef53-b570-4acc-a2cf-34180779bd15_zps couple of pics of a top man Alvin a lobster and conch diver who knows ever inch of his local island waters he puts you on fish and gets you a treat at the end of the day DSCF0122_zpsmw96eka5.jpgDSCF0115_zps91rypwvp.jpg

• Like 5