2 Year Bitch And 6 Month Pup

So recently my mate just got the sister (Rala) of his bitch which died last year whilst working (2 years old). He thought he would like to take it out a shine for a couple of hours over the weekend, Just to see how it would respond to the lamp and looking for prey as it hasn’t been worked before due to the previous owner having health problems. I thought I would take my 6 month old pup (Ace) along just to let the pup see what it has in store for the future. Done a golf course where my mate has permission for rabbits as soon as we walked on there was a nice big rabbit sitting in the middle of the fairway, the lamp was on and directed at the rabbit. Rala noticed the rabbit and and started pulling to get it. The bitch was slipped whilst my pup was doing backflips on the lead wanting to go catch this wee furry hairball that was slowly hopping about. Good chase from the bitch with a couple of turns, just about to get the bunnie before the little lucky bugger managed to dive into the cover leaving the bitch frustrated. Once slipped, Rala went flat out towards the rabbit kind of without thinking it may move again, this is maybe the reason it wasn’t caught. If quarry is slowly moving and not running away from you footsteps or scent then when slipped I like to see a dog walk for the few seconds as if they are assessing what might happen before starting to sprint.

So now I knew that ace was interested in watching the lamp and whatever shows itself in the light. I dropped a rabbit for him to chase it last month and he was loving life. Quick enough to catch it but didn’t have any power to kill it so it passed about 15 minutes letting him catch it and then let It go again for him to catch it again.

After the chase that rala had all other rabbits in the surrounding part of the course has made themselves scarce. We walked round the corner to the next hole, at first we couldn’t see anything even though when I have previously played golf here this hole is usually packing with rabbits. As we walked along the fairway we shined the lamp down towards the hole that runs along side the hole we were on. Jackpot, about 10 rabbits just sitting about. Again the lamp was focused on them and my mate let Rala see them. Rala was slipped and I have no idea why but she decided to run by about 7 rabbits and tried to chase the one which was furthest away. Easy win for the rabbit and a few hops to the left and it was in the bushes. Onto the next hole and we see another rabbit down to bottom corner of the hill. Too one side theres a pond and to the other there is cover. Ralas slipped again, third time lucky perhaps? Not this time. This rabbit with a little silky turn back the way rala was heading for the pond and the rabbit was heading for the cover. Ace is chocking for a chance, I think f**k it and I slip my pup, ace makes up some ground on the rabbit and the rabbit doesn’t know what to do. Runs up the line of the cover with ace on its fluffy little tail. The wee b*****d managed to nick into the cover. Unlucky pup you nearly got it.

As we walked back on ourselves along the fairway in which we seen the group of rabbits which rala decided to leave and go for the furthest away ones we cross a wee bridge and off the light from a lodge we see a rabbit bouncing across the green. Lamp on the rabbit and rala acted interested again. Slipped her and for some reason she decides to sprint to her left in the total wrong direction of the rabbit. Rabbit heard the footsteps as it was a calm night and f****d off. 5 minutes later rala comes from the back of us blowing out her arse. Wonder if she had a chase at something else we may not have noticed. Doubt it though cause my mate doesn’t miss a thing on the lamp. Must have been a scent.

This frustrated my mate a little but he didn’t let it get to him. We did however decide if we see a rabbit on the next hole (Last hole before going back t the car) then we were giving Ace a chance. (I know some people might be saying hes too young but whats a random night out on the lamp it aint a weekly thing). Walked down the fairway and couldn’t see anything moving. I was GUTTED. Then as we were about to go the path towards the car my mate gave a quick. Excellent, there was a rabbit sitting in the first hole where we started. I walked towards the rabbit, Ace waiting to be slipped with my mate keeping the light on the rabbit from a far. As we were getting closer to the rabbit I could feel aces determination to show me that I picked the best pup out of that litter. The rabbit then made a dash from the spot it had been sitting at and bang Ace slipped. Chase on… What a chase it was. Unfortunately due to Ace’s age and lack of experience he doesn’t anticipate the turn yet. This added to the excitement. The rabbit had no chance of out pacing my saluki collie grey so each time when my pup was going to take it, it made a quick turn and my pup was in no-mans land. My pup turn and be back on the rabbit again but just the same again as it catches up and is about it to take it the rabbit makes a quick turn. This happened a few times until the rabbit ran through a hedge.

We then headed off to a few fields we know which are good for hares (2 Fields). This was gonna be the last action of the night as we were only out for a couple of hours to let the dogs see the lamp etc.

First field was murder didn’t see anything atoll, Mushy and you could tell there has recently been cows in the field. Second field however was hoaching. As soon as we jumped over the fence Rala was slipped on a hare which managed to get away and as rala was coming back we looked over to the corner and ace clocked a hare and was rearing to go again. Walked a little closer and it started to run. Ace was slipped. Excellent chase again all he seems to care about is catching his game. I felt on this run he was anticipating the turns a little but he was still way off. Ace and Rala got a few more chases that field. Unfortunately none of the dogs got anything but everyone has to start off somewhere. 2 year old bitch that’s never done anything and a 6 month old dog. Only took a few hours but both dogs are looking down the lamp waiting to see something move. Just need to hope they both improve their takes which is something that can only be done if the dog is out enough I guess.

Cheers

Chris

LOL getting as good as facebook on here.

" I dropped a rabbit for him to chase it last month and he was loving life. Quick enough to catch it but didn’t have any power to kill it so it passed about 15 minutes letting him catch it and then let It go again for him to catch it again. " think thats legally called baiting LOL talk about give the anti's ammo I can only guess this was put up by an anti to get a little propaganda for the anti-hunting lobby.

• Like 2

Mate I've had a good few lurchers over a 22 year period and yours and ya mates must be the fastest learners I've heard of looking down the beam in just one session if ya breed from them I'll buy the hole litter pal

is this a wind up . cos thats the way to ruin a a young dog on a golf coarse when rabbits are at there fastest due to the short grass and slipping on alot of rabbits that are going to be bolting every were it will end up yapping through frustration . just my thoughts

is this a wind up . cos thats the way to ruin a a young dog on a golf coarse when rabbits are at there fastest due to the short grass and slipping on alot of rabbits that are going to be bolting every were it will end up yapping through frustration . just my thoughts

Such a bully.

• Like 1