One For The Coursing Men

I lined my bull type lurcher to a coursing dog never seen the site work but heard it does a lot of craft and great temperament , I was looking to put more speed and more wind I to the pups , tbh I no feck all about 3/8 5/8 this and 16 quarters two half crowns and a chinky this and that lol ,but I think lurcher x lurcher was the right choice for me even though I never seen the sire work ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bitch off me pals coursing x saluki bull grey litter

My coursing bred mutt really opened my eyes. So much to offer. I didn't really know what I was buying at the time to be honest. But I can't believe more lads don't use them for all round work. Blister

Or people realising lurcher x lurcher best way to go

Surely you would use a particular stud that would add (or compound) something to your bitches ability? Either to add or subtract height, add stamina, pace, intelligence etc?

I wouldn't want to put a 27" dog over my 23" bitch, no matter how good it was cos it would prob produce taller pups than I would want for the ground that I run (mostly 5 to 10 acre fields)

I believe if you breed a litter it should be first and foremost cos YOU want a pup and not because of the coin you might make by using a "name"

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

You could dodge the whole name scenario by simply using something that's well bred of the sort you like local too you better chance of seeing the dog do a bit or knowing people you know their stuff who seen it and can give honest opinion

Think it can be easier using a named dog with checkable known history one way could be too make ££££'s but another way could also be seen as simply trying best too improve upon what you have but also improving your chances of finding homes for any remaining stock, as not everyone has pals waiting for pups

• Like 1

I lined my bull type lurcher to a coursing dog never seen the site work but heard it does a lot of craft and great temperament , I was looking to put more speed and more wind I to the pups , tbh I no feck all about 3/8 5/8 this and 16 quarters two half crowns and a chinky this and that lol ,but I think lurcher x lurcher was the right choice for me even though I never seen the sire work ?

That's more or less what me pal done he just seen em over couple of seasons and used the dog i told him pay go too dogs sire but for what he wanted out of it he thought dog has shown enough to just use him

In short his bitch was whole package for what work he done but he thought by using saluki lurcher the very least he would get is more stamina n better stronger feet however he also got the mix of the dogs aggression and direct style which has proven effective when mixed with bitches best attributes potent mix they can simply go for longer faster harder injure less just more durable he found some in litter leaned towards coursing line in stamp these ones when used from slips on certain quarry got plenty in tank for good few runs

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 1

i have always put good coursing dogs over lamping dogs,some of my best lamping dogs have been bred this way they seem to improve the catch rate/tally and have a no nonsence attitude at lamping.some of my collie crosses are flashy tricksters at lamping with stalking, pretending they havent seen the rabbit going passed them then turning back to catch them,and how they slow a rabbit down when chasing them to a near walk is amazing,,BUT after a while it becomes irritating,i want to catch a rabbit not wine and dine them first.

• Like 2

i have always put good coursing dogs over lamping dogs,some of my best lamping dogs have been bred this way they seem to improve the catch rate/tally and have a no nonsence attitude at lamping.some of my collie crosses are flashy tricksters at lamping with stalking, pretending they havent seen the rabbit going passed them then turning back to catch them,and how they slow a rabbit down when chasing them to a near walk is amazing,,BUT after a while it becomes irritating,i want to catch a rabbit not wine and dine them first.

:thumbs:

Not wine and dine them,,,lol,,,love that

• Like 1

W Katchum the only problem is that a lot of people are too thick to understand them, people say the saluki is thick but they a lot more intelligent that a greyhound, treat them right and there's no problem!!

Got to agree, ive a pure pup there and she been easiest dog ive had to live with she very very laid back and really obedient for a pure

I used razor over my bull cross bitch.

both had a fair few seasons under their belt.I did'nt see him work but enough have.

I bred for me to keep a pup,i let a.few go to lads who I thought would work them

to a standard for nowt. So wasn't a money thing. In fact was offered a similar bred dog for nothing but declined as I liked the stamp of razor.

The pups so far seem real keen.

D.lloyd who started this thread has one (cesar) saw him do a little the weekend

and he performed like an old pro.

Had stamima to spare and was'nt needing anymore speed ...Proud as punch is an understatement .

imho theres a lot to be gained by using a

decent coursing dog over a lamping bitch (or visa versa)

whether or not a coursing dog is the way to go for lamping or as a general lurcher,i dont kmow as I have never tried ,but then I like a bit of bull in there.....

• Like 1

I used razor over my bull cross bitch.

both had a fair few seasons under their belt.I did'nt see him work but enough have.

I bred for me to keep a pup,i let a.few go to lads who I thought would work them

to a standard for nowt. So wasn't a money thing. In fact was offered a similar bred dog for nothing but declined as I liked the stamp of razor.

The pups so far seem real keen.

D.lloyd who started this thread has one (cesar) saw him do a little the weekend

and he performed like an old pro.

Had stamima to spare and was'nt needing anymore speed ...Proud as punch is an understatement .

imho theres a lot to be gained by using a

decent coursing dog over a lamping bitch (or visa versa)

whether or not a coursing dog is the way to go for lamping or as a general lurcher,i dont kmow as I have never tried ,but then I like a bit of bull in there.....

i can vouch for what roybo as sed i was one of the lads that got one for nout best money i never had to spend lol.

he was all so offerd a free stud from my dog be for going to razor as i was looking to line him to a good bitch like his all i wanted was a pup as iv lost a few dogs over the last few years i all so offerd him cash on top but he was set on yousing razor im glad he did as well.so nout to do with ££££ this litter

so you should mate he did us both proud all them chicking wings payed off lol.it was nice to have a catch up with you and ciryl as all the sines of his brother had a few months back so roll on the season.

mixing the right courser to the right lurcher can work realy good in the little bit i have done with one

Edited by D Lloyd
  • Like 1