Good recipe for starling anyone?

A ffriend of mine is going to shoot starling some time next week. My aunt always used to tell me how good these taste so I figured I will give it a try. Unfortunately my aunt suffers from Alzheimer and cannot tell me the recipy anymore.

Does anyone have experience with eating starling and can you share a good recipe?

thanks in advance.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Taking it that the country where ye friend's going to shoot the Starlings is one in which it's still legal ~ which it's not, in england .....

The traditional way of cooking them is to remove the skin from their breasts and bake them, covered in bacon fat. I believe I recall that pepper is also reccomended.

Can't say as I was ever arsed myself. See them rummaging about in inner city streets and it sort of kills ones appetite for them :sick: But, if someone really must go wiping out a rapidly declining species? Just as well they get some use out of the results.

Actually, I tried House Sparrow once. This was decades back of course, when we still had plenty of those and they were were legal 'quarry' too. Ye know; It was surprisingly strong and gamey! Take about a neighbourhoods worth to make a decent pie, 'mind .....

Spade: Please do look out some of the weirder, old recipes for us. Always interesting to read that stuff :)

Guest bigredbusa

dont know why you would but i found this .:

"Fry some chopped turnips and carrots. Add a little stock and a glass of red wine. Place some starlings or other small birds in the pan. Add a thin purée of boiled potatoes mashed with beaten eggs, dry mustard, and some stock and a little beer. Cover with stock and cook for about 30 minutes, adding some ripe olives near the end."

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ye know, looking back at this, it's maybe caused the penny to drop with me. Think about it this way:

The long ago days when people would eat starlings were just that - long ago. Check out the sort of books from the 1800's and so on which tell how to string long lines of horsehair nooses across cattle pastures and that gives us two things/ 1/ Masses of starlings available. 2/ Worth going to some considerable bother to specifically target and then eat. Yeah?

But today? Despite the illusion we may gain from viewing the late autumnal flocks, they're in free fall and those that we see most are nothing more than gutter vultures. Gobbling down last nights kebab and Big Mac remains.

My whole point is surely so self explanatory that I won't bother to labour the issue. Just think about it for a moment and it's all clear ;)

But, if someone really must go wiping out a rapidly declining species? Just as well they get some use out of the results.

Are they really declining there? Since they were introduced here, they're taking over and can be shot anytime, as many as is possible. Our Div of Wildlife encourages doing away with them all on sight....... :gunsmilie:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

FR; It's weird as f*ck, mate! :icon_eek: I have a very old little book right here on my book shelf, " House Sparrows ". It's more or less a manual for waging war on them and saving the nation! I've had a lot of reguests from your guys on how to wipe those out too, preferably by the hundreds, if not thousands?

But, in uk, both these species are in free fall decline ~ and no bugger knows why!

Tell ye what though; Ye'll have heard of the Miners Canary ....? 'Nuff said, I reckon!

FR; It's weird as f*ck, mate! :icon_eek: I have a very old little book right here on my book shelf, " House Sparrows ". It's more or less a manual for waging war on them and saving the nation! I've had a lot of reguests from your guys on how to wipe those out too, preferably by the hundreds, if not thousands?

But, in uk, both these species are in free fall decline ~ and no bugger knows why!

Tell ye what though; Ye'll have heard of the Miners Canary ....? 'Nuff said, I reckon!

:D I'm doing my small part in the section of the world.... :angel:

Hunting Starling in general is illegal in Holland, but for specific fields where they do a certain amount of damage a "pest control" permit can be obtained. In this specific case, the permit is granted so there will be some starling shooting activity. Usually with this kind of pest control after having shot some, the flocks stay away from that field and feast on neighbouring fields.

So basically out of thousends of birds only 10 or 20 will effectively be shot, barely enough to feed a family but just anough to give it a try.

Starling typcially is an insect eating bird which in my opinion is not a reason to avoid eating it. So if a large enough number will be shot, I will give it a go and post the results here!

Thanks for the suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

When i was a kid we used to go cherry picking in the Summer and camped in the orchards we worked in. We often ate them as they were a pest eating the cherries and easy to shoot plenty. You have to skin them as their skin tastes vile and we used to chuck them in a pan with veggies and stock and cook them slowly as a casserole. Not a lot of meat on them though!