• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gsd all the way for me, this one even bagged a cock pheasant in some brambles last week. Two dogs in one ?

had them in the 80s, they were good in the old days 1930s , when were used as keepers night dogs . but today bull mastiff are unfit,docile and to big to work proper, the old dogs were about -100lb

Honestly I'd be very wary about bringing a 6 month old "guard dog" into you're home unless you know the person who has raised it up to that age well and you yourself are very experienced with guard do

Posted Images

Get a bullmastiff. Supposed to be great guard dogs

had them in the 80s, they were good in the old days 1930s , when were used as keepers night dogs . but today bull mastiff are unfit,docile and to big to work proper, the old dogs were about 80-100lb fit agile dogs, todays pet stuff show stuff go up to 140lb slow+ bad hips ,the only bullmastiff I seen any good today was x to a pit it looked more like the old type bullmastiff of the 1930s. if wanted a good guard/watch dog get a well bred Alsatian from working lines, a 80lb male will stop any man , and be far more alert than any bullmastiff :yes:

• Like 8

had them in the 80s, they were good in the old days 1930s , when were used as keepers night dogs . but today bull mastiff are unfit,docile and to big to work proper, the old dogs were about 80-100lb fit agile dogs, todays pet stuff show stuff go up to 140lb slow+ bad hips ,the only bullmastiff I seen any good today was x to a pit it looked more like the old type bullmastiff of the 1930s. if wanted a good guard/watch dog get a well bred Alsatian from working lines, a 80lb male will stop any man , and be far more alert than any bullmastiff :yes:

you may be right . I was just going on what a i heard david hancock say in a mastiff documentary .

Agree 100% on the Bullmastiffs Ray :thumbs: Wouldn't have an Alsatian though,cant stand em :laugh:

• Like 1

you may be right . I was just going on what a i heard david hancock say in a mastiff documentary .

yeh he would, because he keeps the breed. I ve spoke to him few times ,and he knows him self that the breed of today , not patch on the old type bullmastiff of the 30s. as said I had the breed and came out of the breed because of there health probs and temp, there were sharp temps years ago , today to docile for proper guard work. I knew few people even back in the 80s were thinking of x ridgebacks to bullmastiffs to get better type dog , but that was frowned upon like (bandogs) pitx bullmastiff or pit x Nero's . but you would have got better type healthier guard dog than a pure show bred bullmastiff . :yes:

• Like 1

Agree 100% on the Bullmastiffs Ray :thumbs: Wouldn't have an Alsatian though,cant stand em :laugh:

how about Dutch shepherd or a bel mal , there good dogs , but bit more hyper than Alsatians .

how about Dutch shepherd or a bel mal , there good dogs , but bit more hyper than Alsatians .

I love the colour of Dutch shepherds

I train with lads who have both breeds every weekend and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as a guard dog.Brilliant dogs for security work or protection sport but for just looking after somewhere they will drive themselves and you mad.
  • Like 3

there great dog, they not been ruined / over bred , so very good working dogs , smaller than gsd , but stronger type than most mals. I think there got bit of bull in there make up years back, that gives them the brindle colour and full on temp .

The best guard dog you can get is my ex old woman.

Looks like a boxerdog chewing a wasp.

Got a deadly bite.

Makes a hell of alot of racket.

Don't eat much

Oh and its black. If that helps.

• Like 4

I train with lads who have both breeds every weekend and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as a guard dog.Brilliant dogs for security work or protection sport but for just looking after somewhere they will drive themselves and you mad.

that's true there both very hyper temps, compared to gsds . that's why I like Alsatians there more of a docile temp, Buck my 1x Alsatian x grey is very quite around my place never barks , he only comes to life if he got something to run or kill in the lamp . :D

there great dog, they not been ruined / over bred , so very good working dogs , smaller than gsd , but stronger type than most mals. I think there got bit of bull in there make up years back, that gives them the brindle colour and full on temp .

They still breed bull into them now if they think it will benefit them.My mate has one at the moment which is 1/8 bull and a very good 2 x winner at that.

The best guard dog you can get is my ex old woman.

Looks like a boxerdog chewing a wasp.

Got a deadly bite.

Makes a hell of alot of racket.

Don't eat much

Oh and its black. If that helps.

I think I went out with her litter mate I still have some pics of her around the house keeps rhe kids away from the fire and flies off the butter but turns the milk sour

• Like 2