View From Your Swim

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few types of "swims" where we're fortunate enough to fish..   The Exeter Canal before first light (Tench blowing everywhere on this morning).. The tidal Exe     First light at Hopes

I'm guessing I was about 14 when this was taken.That would make it 43 years ago. Eek ! Its possible I had hooked the bottom rather than a fish:)   This one was taken at the same spot yesterday a

Moved further down south recently the canal is a 5min walk so after years of barrowing around a ton of carp gear around packed lakes started fishing light. Drop shotting for perch and pre baiting like

Posted Images

One of many trips with a big eel the target

667CABE4-8F7D-44C4-82D3-B209F2D5A746_zps

Finally success last night....

BD224A17-6937-4E2B-B3EA-B41ADD5DE18D_zps

From a pond that apparently has hardly any eels! Or carp....

6110C2FD-A7BE-4109-B05C-D5ECA9306F4A_zps

i don't own a pair of scales but both fish of a lifetime from this pond so made it a special night, I'd give the eel a guess 4.5 lbs + on the low side of estimating. The eels on a carp net for scale.

Edit I caught this carp last year too again with no scales.

• Like 6

i don't own a pair of scales but both fish of a lifetime from this pond so made it a special night, I'd give the eel a guess 4.5 lbs + on the low side of estimating. The eels on a carp net for scale.

Tom, did you get the carp from the same pond? I know that pond well having been rooting about on it's banks, or should I say their banks, for the last 30+ years. Did you catch the eel on prawn by any chance?

Those ponds always had a certain magic about them, and when i was a youngster they were the ones who got me into fishing, and, the magical feel about being next to muggy stillwaters on a humid summers night. I have caught many eels from there, to just under 4lb. And, one other thing, apart from one carp I've got photos of them all in that pond. :victory: For many years there were only four carp in the bottom pond, the rest being in the top. Then one year when the oxygen levels dropped a few carp were moved from the top to the bottom. The biggest carp from those ponds is 15lb 6 oz and was very very heavily spawn bound.

• Like 2

Tom, did you get the carp from the same pond? I know that pond well having been rooting about on it's banks, or should I say their banks, for the last 30+ years. Did you catch the eel on prawn by any chance?

Those ponds always had a certain magic about them, and when i was a youngster they were the ones who got me into fishing, and, the magical feel about being next to muggy stillwaters on a humid summers night. I have caught many eels from there, to just under 4lb. And, one other thing, apart from one carp I've got photos of them all in that pond. :victory: For many years there were only four carp in the bottom pond, the rest being in the top. Then one year when the oxygen levels dropped a few carp were moved from the top to the bottom. The biggest carp from those ponds is 15lb 6 oz and was very very heavily spawn bound.

Hi jdarcy yes! I did get them both on prawn! The best bait for them in here, and both from the bottom pond. I adore theese ponds and have fished them for years too. I usually get an eel out but only caught carp 5 times over the years and lost 2 of them at the net. I caught this carp before and I'm 100% sure it's the same fish. The other carp I had out of here afew years ago was a realy dark mirror carp covered in battle scars and about 17 lbs but I not got pictures of that one. The eels if I got my information right from an old gent are now over 50 years old and where braught over from the warfe at tadcaster in the late 1960? Theese ponds do have something about them and I was sat up there last night until it became daylight again with the bat detector.
  • Like 1

Tom, I wonder if this could be the same carp as what I caught in 1995 from that pond? The marking on the tail might correspond. What do you think?

I honestly think it is, when you lift up it's dorsal fin up is there a circle hole that looks like an air gun pellet hole? Iv seen this carp many times over the years watching it from the bank.

• Like 1

Hi jdarcy yes! I did get them both on prawn! The best bait for them in here, and both from the bottom pond. I adore theese ponds and have fished them for years too. I usually get an eel out but only caught carp 5 times over the years and lost 2 of them at the net. I caught this carp before and I'm 100% sure it's the same fish. The other carp I had out of here afew years ago was a realy dark mirror carp covered in battle scars and about 17 lbs but I not got pictures of that one. The eels if I got my information right from an old gent are now over 50 years old and where braught over from the warfe at tadcaster in the late 1960? Theese ponds do have something about them and I was sat up there last night until it became daylight again with the bat detector.

I have stocked eels in there about 25 years ago, BUT there was already a population of eels. There was originally a total of 18 carp in there. Plus a golden orfe and a koi. The koi was never caught. Ever. One thing I do know is that the carp weigh much, much less than what you think in there. Take your scales next time and I would doubt if the carp goes to even 13lb. :victory:

There used to be a good head of chub in there, they all looked 6lb, but when you caught them they weighed just over 3lb! Almost as if they were hollow, and they were very, very hard to catch. I used to target the chub as it was the cleverest fish in there, followed closely by the carp. Both carp and chub were rarely caught on bottom baits, mainly surface baits was what i used and I've had many repeat captures. take some better pics next time to make a catch and I will have a look at my photos i have here.

One thing you must always remember about that place is that it is full to the brim with bullshitters, I mean they love to tell lies, so don't believe anything you hear, only what you see.

There's eels in the top pond, but no one ever fishes for them there, I put those in from Bolton Clough on the wharfe about 1991-92.

Everything was better before the place got full of stunted rudd, nowadays surface fishing is much harder as there's less carp too.

This is a piccy of the biggest authenticated weighed carp in there. It was heavily spawn bound and should have only weighed 9 or 10lb...it went 15lb 6 oz in 1993 I think.

post-16-0-05195100-1435588556.jpg

• Like 3