Jump to content

View From Your Swim


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

yes a pennel rig

just always intrigued me why trebles in a pennel rather than singles, same as you guys dont use bait elastic either

I use bait elastic with softer baits, sardines, herring and when I join two smelt together 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few types of "swims" where we're fortunate enough to fish..   The Exeter Canal before first light (Tench blowing everywhere on this morning).. The tidal Exe     First light at Hopes

I'm guessing I was about 14 when this was taken.That would make it 43 years ago. Eek ! Its possible I had hooked the bottom rather than a fish:)   This one was taken at the same spot yesterday a

Moved further down south recently the canal is a 5min walk so after years of barrowing around a ton of carp gear around packed lakes started fishing light. Drop shotting for perch and pre baiting like

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Haven’t a clue wat fish nimbles are lol is it live bait ? 

No , little soft plastic lures . The ones I used the on Monday were the 1.6 inch  version in swamp chartreuse colour , I’ve got them in 2 & 2.5 inch and in loads of colours aswell . They are pretty much the only lures I’ve used with the bfs gear all year . Only tried spinners because I saw little roach scattering and thought a silver spinner cast near them might work 

FA1E25B2-F510-47FB-AE04-0E9F035ACB16.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
7 minutes ago, neil r said:

No , little soft plastic lures . The ones I used the on Monday were the 1.6 inch  version in swamp chartreuse colour , I’ve got them in 2 & 2.5 inch and in loads of colours aswell . They are pretty much the only lures I’ve used with the bfs gear all year . Only tried spinners because I saw little roach scattering and thought a silver spinner cast near them might work 

FA1E25B2-F510-47FB-AE04-0E9F035ACB16.jpeg

Do they seem to work on waters with crayfish ? 

Link to post
Just now, green lurchers said:

Do they seem to work on waters with crayfish ? 

They’ve worked everywhere I’ve tried them , some with and some without crays . I have had a lot of perch on the Macclesfield canal which has got crayfish with them though . It’s probably because the 2 tails act like small paddle tails and the other legs add a bit more movement that they work on places without crayfish though 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
3 minutes ago, neil r said:

They’ve worked everywhere I’ve tried them , some with and some without crays . I have had a lot of perch on the Macclesfield canal which has got crayfish with them though . It’s probably because the 2 tails act like small paddle tails and the other legs add a bit more movement that they work on places without crayfish though 

Where do yku buy your jig heads an stuff from mate as most packs a soft baits I see ain’t got a jig in it 😳 had a look in a couple little tackle shops but they don’t have much of a selection. And online you can’t tell what’s decent and what’s scrap 😂

Link to post
32 minutes ago, neil r said:

They’ve worked everywhere I’ve tried them , some with and some without crays . I have had a lot of perch on the Macclesfield canal which has got crayfish with them though . It’s probably because the 2 tails act like small paddle tails and the other legs add a bit more movement that they work on places without crayfish though 

Cheers for the info mate biggest perch I caught   On the kennet was a late evening session catching crayfish for the pot  on double red maggot  little farm pond I been fishing now again got no Crayfish I’ve only caught one decent perch on a little swimmer but I’m sure thers bigger in ther it’s crammed with silver fish n gudgeon so I’m open to trying other things other than live swimmers 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
Link to post
30 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Where do yku buy your jig heads an stuff from mate as most packs a soft baits I see ain’t got a jig in it 😳 had a look in a couple little tackle shops but they don’t have much of a selection. And online you can’t tell what’s decent and what’s scrap 😂

Either lure factors or agm products for the small jig heads for bfs . Lure factors do them in 10 packs and the last lot of size 6 3.5gm ones I got were £7.70 for 20 posted . If you want to go with tungsten have a look a nineseven tungsten jig heads .  I don’t bother with jig heads for the big stuff and just rig them either with a weighted screw head for deep water or a straight screw head if I’m rigging shallow

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
25 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Cheers for the info mate biggest perch I caught   On the kennet was a late evening session catching crayfish for the pot  on double red maggot  little farm pond I been fishing now again got no Crayfish I’ve only caught one decent perch on a little swimmer but I’m sure thers bigger in ther it’s crammed with silver fish n gudgeon so I’m open to trying other things other than live swimmers 

To be honest Monday was just one of those days when everything went right , normally we get more wasps than anything and big fish are thin on the ground up here . I’m sure I’ve read in mags like coarse angling today that people like Gary Knowles, phill smith , tony miles have had some big perch out of the kennet 

Edited by neil r
Spelling
  • Like 1
Link to post
23 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Cheers for the info mate biggest perch I caught   On the kennet was a late evening session catching crayfish for the pot  on double red maggot  little farm pond I been fishing now again got no Crayfish I’ve only caught one decent perch on a little swimmer but I’m sure thers bigger in ther it’s crammed with silver fish n gudgeon so I’m open to trying other things other than live swimmers 

Double post 

Edited by neil r
Double post
Link to post
51 minutes ago, neil r said:

To be honest Monday was just one of those days when everything went right , normally we get more wasps than anything and big fish are thin on the ground up here . I’m sure I’ve read in mags like coarse angling today that people like Gary Knowles, phill smith , tony miles have had some big perch out of the kennet 

Not sure bout now but the kennet been good for me few yr back with barbel n further up grayling and a big perch only recently starting to try for them on the little ponds 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...