View From Your Swim

13 hours ago, tandors said:

Trying out my home made stickleback whip lol

20210424_200418.jpg

Now see, that really appeals to me. That is the very essence of what fishing should be...simple and fun. As kids we spent hours on the little stone bridge down the road catching Minnows with nothing more than a jam jar, couple yard of string and half a loaf of bread "borrowed" from the kitchen. Sit on bridge, tie string to neck of jar, put a bit of bread in jar, lower jar into water slowly to fill, gently swing jar in under bridge and lie on stomach, watching, waiting for greedy/curious Minnows to enter jar then yank jar out of water and record your catch by scratching tally on bridge, release catch and repeat. Hungry? well you just ate some of your bait! The good old days when summers were long and hot and we were living feral like kids from Swallows and Amazons or Brendan Chase!

Tandors, can you tell us about the set up?

• Like 7

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few types of "swims" where we're fortunate enough to fish..   The Exeter Canal before first light (Tench blowing everywhere on this morning).. The tidal Exe     First light at Hopes

I'm guessing I was about 14 when this was taken.That would make it 43 years ago. Eek ! Its possible I had hooked the bottom rather than a fish:)   This one was taken at the same spot yesterday a

Moved further down south recently the canal is a 5min walk so after years of barrowing around a ton of carp gear around packed lakes started fishing light. Drop shotting for perch and pre baiting like

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Stockpot said:

Now see, that really appeals to me. That is the very essence of what fishing should be...simple and fun. As kids we spent hours on the little stone bridge down the road catching Minnows with nothing more than a jam jar, couple yard of string and half a loaf of bread "borrowed" from the kitchen. Sit on bridge, tie string to neck of jar, put a bit of bread in jar, lower jar into water slowly to fill, gently swing jar in under bridge and lie on stomach, watching, waiting for greedy/curious Minnows to enter jar then yank jar out of water and record your catch by scratching tally on bridge, release catch and repeat. Hungry? well you just ate some of your bait! The good old days when summers were long and hot and we were living feral like kids from Swallows and Amazons or Brendan Chase!

Tandors, can you tell us about the set up?

It's just a willow whip with a bit of paracord whipped on the end to tie line to, a whipped on string handle, light pole float, size 24 hook and a small piece of worm. A poorly made tanago style rod lol but still a bit of fun.

• Like 1

River Jucar , Spain ..fished it for the first time yesterday , had about fifteen fish , smallest 4lb , largest two ounces under 9lb ..every one fought every inch to the net and some ! ..sat talking to an old boy and I asked him about the 20lb + fish supposedly caught a month or so ago ...yep , that was me he said and promptly showed me the pics ..cracking old boy , a wealth of information on baits and set ups , he even gave me some of his bait ..turns out he’s fished the river every week for the last thirteen years.I was staggered to learn he was almost 87 ( originally from camberwell ) .He didn’t look a day over 70 carried all his own kit , drove forty miles to and from fishing ..

A77A45AD-B8A7-4FBA-8CDE-1D27941C5360.jpeg.e1cf0817b677fc1582d2687b7e1a9aa6.jpeg3037F3C2-EC9D-442F-8AEC-222EBE6A7C25.jpeg.782f4a87baba9afeb3a0aaddd5f42e0f.jpeg

• Like 6