View From Your Swim

35 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I have a feeling that they weren't carp. Every now and then I hook things that are totally unstoppable on normal 10lb line class gear. That reel has a disc drag and I use the other one I have on my catfish rod. Saves burning my thumb 😀

Yeah the old smoking thumb when you hit a Biggin lol

Do you think your getting smashed up by catfish nicepix?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few types of "swims" where we're fortunate enough to fish..   The Exeter Canal before first light (Tench blowing everywhere on this morning).. The tidal Exe     First light at Hopes

I'm guessing I was about 14 when this was taken.That would make it 43 years ago. Eek ! Its possible I had hooked the bottom rather than a fish:)   This one was taken at the same spot yesterday a

Moved further down south recently the canal is a 5min walk so after years of barrowing around a ton of carp gear around packed lakes started fishing light. Drop shotting for perch and pre baiting like

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

1296918577_PonchoBivvy3.jpg.23b7cc0934c92d712719c474d3c65ca3.jpg

Tried for the catfish that I reckon had on last week. This time took the bigger cane rod and baited with a large piece of luncheon meat. Kitty wouldn't play today and neither would the carp. Tried three swims and different baits with no luck. Blustery cold wind gusting up to 60kph made life difficult and that was in the lee of a copse. After a few hours I went to other swims carp hunting with the lighter tackle. Didn't get chance to Christen the 'new' old reel I have adapted specifically for river carp.

1199942887_JBWSilexMajor.jpg.1f898d999f3005e60f375bacf66839ac.jpg

By 5pm I was glad that I'd had enough.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 3
On 26/02/2020 at 18:54, Nicepix said:

1296918577_PonchoBivvy3.jpg.23b7cc0934c92d712719c474d3c65ca3.jpg

Tried for the catfish that I reckon had on last week. This time took the bigger cane rod and baited with a large piece of luncheon meat. Kitty wouldn't play today and neither would the carp. Tried three swims and different baits with no luck. Blustery cold wind gusting up to 60kph made life difficult and that was in the lee of a copse. After a few hours I went to other swims carp hunting with the lighter tackle. Didn't get chance to Christen the 'new' old reel I have adapted specifically for river carp.

1199942887_JBWSilexMajor.jpg.1f898d999f3005e60f375bacf66839ac.jpg

By 5pm I was glad that I'd had enough.

With carp this time of year it really is a question of dropping right on them at the time they can be arsed to feed.....don’t know about France, but most the low pressure systems have been cold as well.

End if this month should see things starting to move again.

• Like 1
On 08/02/2020 at 16:38, Wideboy said:

Nice one, I love the source too, I use a wee pva bag of 4mm source pellets hooked to a citruz pop up, I find this a great combo on still waters. I heard on the grapevine that sticky are discontinuing the krill because there is a ban on krill fishing because man is more greedy than whales. I bought a few bags of shelf life boilies. 

Are you in Ireland mate ? 

34 minutes ago, WILF said:

With carp this time of year it really is a question of dropping right on them at the time they can be arsed to feed.....don’t know about France, but most the low pressure systems have been cold as well.

End if this month should see things starting to move again.

It has been very slow all winter for carp and barbel. But I have lost good fish three or four times in the last few weeks so there are some large fish feeding. I suspect they were catfish, not carp though. The rivers had just got back to something like normal when we had another long spell of heavy rain so we will be a week or so before they settle down again providing we don't get any more rain. Two weeks tomorrow we will be in Spain, following the course of the Ebro from source to sea,  so that might be my best chance of getting some fish on the bank.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, WILF said:

What are you using that type of bait for in ireland mate if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Tench and carp, during the night for tench, although I know a few waters that tench like a daytime pop up👍

7 hours ago, WILF said:

What are you using that type of bait for in ireland mate if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Tench and carp, during the night for tench, although I know a few waters that tench like a daytime pop up👍