The Working Ferrets Future.

Guest vin

It has already been touched upon, everyone thinks "best" of the best is different, its a relative term. For instance, me and my hunting partner have different ferrets for different tricks. Lets say the jills have worked a warren but we still have the feeling theres a bunny down there, we stick in "bear", when he goes down a hole the rabbit either leaves immediately or is killed and dug out within minutes. guaranteed.

So while he may not be a good worker all round, he does have his uses!

Also, photos arent always proof. You could have the best jill around but have crap land meaning only a small bag of 20 odd, and a shit ferret on riddled land and get 50 plus.

You should have regional experts who will go along and judge the ferrets on their abilities first hand.

It is a good idea though and we do need some sort of way to protect true working ferrets!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never subscribed to the notion that 'All ferrets will work, if given the chance'.. .

Most ferrets if worked from a very young age will work to a lesser or greater degree,however i feel if you constantly breed from a bad line of ferrets ,ie slow lazy workers,bad biters,skulkers and fer

Good luck running wfa vin,,,,,lol

I'm f****d if I have to call him president when ever where out ferreting.....I do the ordering around when we're out,,,and you know what these short fellas are like with a bit of power,,,,it will be like going out with Napoleon....lol

• Like 3

Was it the case 30+ years ago that all ferrets did work? I've heard of Abbott brothers and their ferrets and it seemed they were all tame good workers? Was everyone else's like that before people became fixated with colour and size?

• Like 1

i think every one see,s ferrets in diffrent ways,,, when it comes to a trip out.. to me when a ferret bolts half a dozen bunny,s it dont tell me they are working ok they have put bunny,s in the net or HAVE THEY,,,,, they class that has a worker,,i think different to that,,, iff i dig half dozen,, and no dowt they will be nowt left in the sets with ferrets like this,,, and i agree with the above there,s ferrets and there good ferrets,,,, ive all ways said iff iff you can dig and bolt on the day 40 rabbits with one ferret it worth a weight in gold,,,,, i have one here for stud,,lol

i think every one see,s ferrets in diffrent ways,,, when it comes to a trip out.. to me when a ferret bolts half a dozen bunny,s it dont tell me they are working ok they have put bunny,s in the net or HAVE THEY,,,,, they class that has a worker,,i think different to that,,, iff i dig half dozen,, and no dowt they will be nowt left in the sets with ferrets like this,,, and i agree with the above there,s ferrets and there good ferrets,,,, ive all ways said iff iff you can dig and bolt on the day 40 rabbits with one ferret it worth a weight in gold,,,,, i have one here for stud,,lol

There is your first stumbling block, not every ones idea of worker is the same.

Some folks will be happy plodding about on a Sunday morning bolting a few rabbits and think their ferret is the best thing since sliced bread and worthy of breeding from, when in reality it's only a mediocre worker.

Add to that many people will always consider theirs best regardless of what else is out there and available to them.

It's no different from the dogs we use, many many people year in year out breed from less than decent dogs when in many cases there are better dogs out there producing better pups.

Unfortunately most people will not even consider this to be the case under any circumstances and only when people are totally honest with themselves and their dogs/ferrets capabilities will breeding worker to worker, best to the best be a reality.

There's going to crap being bred for a long time to come.

Never heard a truer words,went with a man for one season he said he had the best working ferrets in the country,an old man ferrets never killed or poached a rabbit all season.I knew they were dirt the first day but would not insult him.A lot of land is lamped at night around hear lamped rabbits are hard to ferret,a lot of digging.The lads that say I have a good ferret never kills, to me they are no good.I would expect a couple of kills and digs a day.Ferrets that don t kill will never be in my yard.

Already did my bit gave a hob to Steve Caple , a couple of Jill's to Old blue eyes and Alfie the take by Scottish Working Ferrets in already well in hand LOL

I don't breed any more only if mates want them I've got nice Jill's that I've lost of the at 16 foot and I've still got my old hob that trigger 2 got me years back that works his ass off for me seen him fight rats but as I said mine have only gone to mates I think it's time something is done as rescues get full to the brim this time of year crack on vin

I think you are going to have a job to decide whats working and not. Is it not good enough if Vin says I have a very good hob and I decide my jill is a good worker and if vin is happy i take my jill too him. Worst case scenario I have lied but at least Vins hob has helped steer the litter in the right direction which is better than me using a poor one down the road. Also the more complicated the less chance of it working out even more so if people have to part with money for any reason

In April this year I posted asking if any of the die hard ferreters , the ones who graft their ferrets hard not once a week jobs was breeding this year if I could buy a ferret of them not one answer so I think it's a good idea if you can get this working, by the way I meant a kit not seasoned worker, atb Flacko

• Like 1

Here you go vin the start of your dynasty ... Your hob chuckles that went over one of my Jill's that works day in day out .....

Top hob is chuckles,,, going to improve your stock no end,,, you will be able to do twice as much work now,, in half the time... :tongue2:

Here you go vin the start of your dynasty ... Your hob chuckles that went over one of my Jill's that works day in day out .....

Top hob is chuckles,,, going to improve your stock no end,,, you will be able to do twice as much work now,, in half the time... :tongue2:

Lol I havnt got time to catch anymore rabbits and my Jill will,have improved your stock shreck .......

Them kits look great Ken..I'm looking forward to my new little fella joining the team.

They could/should be the start of a line that should be monitored for next couple of seasons to see how they develop. . .And if you keep track of all the kits and check on their progress.. We could actually have genuine Worker to Worker bred stock.