Prices Of German Short Haired Pointers

Any dog can become a good dog Christ I've seen border collies on a shoot day with a guns guest picking up everyone keeps bleating on about hip and eye scores and how more money is better do you even realise why these tests are done bet not take your pedigree dogs and forget them my springer lab cross and pointer labs would run rings round them dogs made for the job by people who do the job not the ones looking for money and a great name from doing a trial and before you start flinging mud at me I used to pick up the birds these special trial people's dogs couldn't find on an estate in Scotland and believe you me I wouldn't have one for love nor money if they where so good why was I there with my cross breed dogs lol

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

must be fully trained and not just a pup. Surely you could buy a pup for way less after all training your own pup is most of the fun.

£700 to £8oo is the normal price for most of the HPR breeds

look them up you'll see what they cost. All well bred gundog be it cockers, labs ,hpr's are all £700 + a pup. You can buy any bred for less but do your homework buy from tested parents. Yes you'll pay

Anyway back to the matter the normal person will pay silly money for a gsp in Britain as the gene pool is very small in all German pointer breeds if your thinking about getting one go for the gwp stronger dog with a better prey drive and fearless when the going gets tuff don't get me wrong the gsp a good dog but in my opinion needs more commands in the field where a decent gwp just gets on and gets the job done the gwp is a bit more head strong mind you so can be a problem to some owners but again my opinion I keep only gwp and gwp lab cross now as I find they are very versatile in everything I do from picking up stalking to working fox especially the pointer labs for foxes as they seem to get a bad steak in them in that cross not that a gwp is a push over lol wired haired lions comes to mind if. I had to compare them with something else in the animal kingdom lol

• Like 1

I'm not throwing mud at you . But your saying any dog can make the best picking up working dog aslong as you put the time into this . Imo this isn't true the thing with your crosses your opening the gene pool so you don't need to worry about gene line bred problems . But I bet your gwp x lab was out of a tested ( in field ) lab and the same with the gwp I bet they wasn't off joe blogs down the street . I also like the gwp I've just imported a drahthaar from Germany so I agree with you on that one .

I never said the best but they can do it as for the drahthaar your one of the lucky ones a lot of people will thinks it's a gwp but little is known about this breed in the UK especially that the gwp is partly from that a long way down the line I hunted wild bore a few years back in Germany and these dogs where used I asked the question of why not gwps and told these are a far more stronger dog with a more robust frame they even had Kevlar vests on which is a good credit to the owners as it gives him and the party piece of mind that the dog is more protected in the hunt wish you all the luck with this breed and will make a cracking addition to any kennel just remember the VDD is real as you know people ain't as genuine in this world as others but presuming it's coming from a rep kennel it's all good good luck and keep me posted

She's come from a good kennel I'm hoping to import another in the near future . I'm over the moon with her. I'm hoping to take her back to Germany and do some of there test with her .

That's a crazy price for a gsp or any hpr breed that is a greedy person in my eyes I've had HPR breeds for a while now vislas gwp English pointers and have never paid over 350 for one even got a English for nowt get yourself around shooting men particularly the ones who count grouse or hill keepers they will nearly always want to do a deal with yourself I.e a pup back in years to come or a few studs from a dog this 700 mark is utter madness gone are the days when I was young pups went for nowt or a few pints through friends in my opinion though forget a gsp and get a pointer lab pick them up for buttons and twice the dog of any hpr breed I find

Barry I tend to agree with your opinion regarding the older generation and their dogs.

Unfortunately times have moved on and for a lot of people, they see breeding dogs as a way of making money.

Some breeders, though not all have the interest of their breed at heart and ensure they breed the best dog they possibly can, eg some breeders will travel into Europe to get a particular stud dug for their bitch. It may or may not be anything special, but I can understand why they charge £600 or £700.

At the end of the day, the price is determined by what people will pay.

PS I do NOT breed dogs.

Anyway back to the matter the normal person will pay silly money for a gsp in Britain as the gene pool is very small in all German pointer breeds if your thinking about getting one go for the gwp stronger dog with a better prey drive and fearless when the going gets tuff don't get me wrong the gsp a good dog but in my opinion needs more commands in the field where a decent gwp just gets on and gets the job done the gwp is a bit more head strong mind you so can be a problem to some owners but again my opinion I keep only gwp and gwp lab cross now as I find they are very versatile in everything I do from picking up stalking to working fox especially the pointer labs for foxes as they seem to get a bad steak in them in that cross not that a gwp is a push over lol wired haired lions comes to mind if. I had to compare them with something else in the animal kingdom lol

keep the same myself a lab x gwp and a gwp both dogs, but i found the wire is the hardest dog , as you say they just do whats required for the situation thaya re in ,mine are mainly stalking then fox then wildfowling and a bit of rough shooting in that order,spot on with the head strong bit though ! the cross was way easier to train,hairy crocodile seems to suit mine lol

I fully agree with what your saying especially in German pointers as they have a small gene pool in the UK but for me I wouldn't pay that price for a dog Ireland seems to be the place for dogs at the minute know a fair few people who are getting dogs for the old way and prices it used to be and that's how I still work to this day my father always told me if I breed a dog keep a pup and give the rest to people who are willing to work or give them good life's that way when you need some new blood in your kennel it's there for you I've got a litter of patterdales at the minute and see these dogs go for daft money but I'm not doing that they go to working homes where in a few years if needed I get a pup back not a pound goes in my pocket seems a weird thing nowadays but just the way I've been brought up I don't do it for money and if people look hard enough and do the same we would all be happier and not so distant from one another I find these terrier shows a bit of a weird one when I was young nearly everyone had a bit of banter and a crack now there's different groups who won't talk feels like I'm just going to a field to stand with mute strangers lol

• Like 1

I've got a 3/4 gwp lab in the kennels and Christ it's head strong big strong bitch but soft as shit compared to the first cross she's a wrecking machine on foxes but yet very soft mouth when picking up goes into the grain sheds and brings me baby mice back and I mean baby mice not rats before you say lol the full gwp bitch is a good dog mind you she hunts like no tomorrow but has brains knows where the sharp end is compared to the crosses they just rip in and think about it afterwards haha

She's come from a good kennel I'm hoping to import another in the near future . I'm over the moon with her. I'm hoping to take her back to Germany and do some of there test with her .

What was the rough cost of importation? Maybe pm if you don't want to say on net...

What does there test consist of is it the same a the jaghd terrier field test seen a bit of that on YouTube and its mad when they put little furries in cages and hoist it up a tree and if the dog goes out the circle its out the trial

I paid 500 for a gsp bitch 4 months old around a year ago she had working parents and is now turned out to be a decent dog herself best thing is get to know reputable breeders who breed working stock better chance for you to end up with a decent pup.

Voon all in £1.310

Barry not 100% sure because there quite a bit to them I know they do a 20 hour and 40 hour track . They have to swim after a wounded duck for 20 odd mins with out turning back or looking at giving up . It's different to here they don't like the whistle much etc they like you to be connected to the dog and the dog to do the work . I've got to go over there with the trainers and there going to show me the ropes .

My bitch is only 6 months now so got a bit of time yet . But by the sounds of it I like to work my dogs like yours I want them to do the work while I carry on doing what I'm doing don't mind giving the odd hand signal guiding them a bit if it's a long one . But I like to see the dog using what it was born with and born to do . That's why I'm going to try the German trials as from what I've seen that's what they. Do

• Like 1

That's what I do with mine when I cast a dog out 9 times out of ten I let the dog work and never handle it on the whistle when I'm picking up once the whistle goes there free as long as they bring birds back I don't interfere with them I get some funny looks in shoot days when 10 get let lose at once but the nature of the game to pick as many as fast as possible not arsing around with one dog and four to heel as happens a lot round my way I even become a bit mean with others and run my dogs the whole picking up line lol love a bit of boiling blood to make them wake up and give me some competition makes the day a lot faster lol very intrested to hear about these trials in the future keep me posted

Voon all in £1.310

Barry not 100% sure because there quite a bit to them I know they do a 20 hour and 40 hour track . They have to swim after a wounded duck for 20 odd mins with out turning back or looking at giving up . It's different to here they don't like the whistle much etc they like you to be connected to the dog and the dog to do the work . I've got to go over there with the trainers and there going to show me the ropes .

My bitch is only 6 months now so got a bit of time yet . But by the sounds of it I like to work my dogs like yours I want them to do the work while I carry on doing what I'm doing don't mind giving the odd hand signal guiding them a bit if it's a long one . But I like to see the dog using what it was born with and born to do . That's why I'm going to try the German trials as from what I've seen that's what they. Do

Thanks for that, best of luck with the dogs and the trials. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the training of your bitch.