Price Of Pups Getting Daft.

Don't usually vent on forums but I want to know if others feel the same. It seems to me that prices of gundog pups has been rising over the years but recently, to me anyway it's gone mental.. £700 for lab pups 'get to f#k mate' springers for £500+?!

Maybe I'm biest, I enjoy a cross and not fussed about papers or red writing on them. Now don't call me tight, I can make my money dissappear far easier than I'd like to it just seems folk are asking stupid money for let's be frank it's nothing rare or really special anymore to have parents out of ftch's or ftaw's. Dose anyone still favour 'daves' good dog over 'andys' lovely bitch anymore?

Rant over... Apologies, be good to hear your oppinions.

Just paid £600.00 for a well bred lab pup from extensively health tested parents'

I hope to be still shooting over her ten years from now.

How can you say that's expensive?.

A night in the pub can be a hundred quid.

• Like 3

Don't usually vent on forums but I want to know if others feel the same. It seems to me that prices of gundog pups has been rising over the years but recently, to me anyway it's gone mental.. £700 for lab pups 'get to f#k mate' springers for £500+?!

Maybe I'm biest, I enjoy a cross and not fussed about papers or red writing on them. Now don't call me tight, I can make my money dissappear far easier than I'd like to it just seems folk are asking stupid money for let's be frank it's nothing rare or really special anymore to have parents out of ftch's or ftaw's. Dose anyone still favour 'daves' good dog over 'andys' lovely bitch anymore?

Rant over... Apologies, be good to hear your oppinions.

The solution to your problem is really simple. Don't buy one.

When I was 18 a pint was 60p, I paid £4.80 the other day. The pint hasn't got any bigger or particularly better. Rising costs of vets, food etc and in some cases a certain amount of greed have pushed up prices.

Sometimes a high price will stop someone who isn't sure they really want a dog.

• Like 1

Also you need to consider that a responsible breeder will have the dog and bitch Hip Displasia tested that cost about £200 for each parent.

Plus if there any genetic conditions the breed may be prone to, the breeder may have this tested for also, which in turn costs more money.

All this adds to the cost of the pup.

No matter how much you pay for a gundog its only as good as it owner I've got a lab spaniel cross in my kennels and it's the hardest working dog I've ever had I pick up on various shoots and it will do the work of 2 dogs in a day so keep all your silly priced labs and spaniels lol like I said it's only as good as its owner regardless of price

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I've not been logged on here for ages, but I agree with the OP: prices are getting silly.

For a breed to be healthy and fit for purpose, it needs a wide genepool and it needs to be bred primarily by people who use the dog regularly for the task it was bred for (not for a competition based on the original task) I'm by no means anti-health testing, but I'd rather buy a pup locally where I can see as many relatives as possible at work in the field, or at least hear of them from people I trust, who have seen them working regularly - than buy a pup from a complete stranger with all the necessary health checks in place.

I've not been in gundogs very long, but there seems to be a shift away from the grass-roots owner and worker, to the trialling kennels dominating people's breeding programmes and more people buying pedigree gundogs for the purpose of entering tests and scurries, rather than because they are keen working dog people or shooters. I suspect it's these buyers who are pushing the price up, because they are prepared to pay those kinds of figures (and another few hundred on group lessons and subscriptions to clubs)

If a dog and it's siblings, parents and grandparents are worked regularly by shooting folk, word will get around about any dogs going blind / lame / dying early pretty quickly and if I wanted a pup, I'd make the effort to see as many relatives as I could working and ask lots of questions about the longevity of line, especially in terms of working life.

When I bred my first litter, they all went locally, by word of mouth, to people who had seen my bitch perform week in-week out. More importantly, they all went at 'mates rates' to genuine working dog people and I'm pleased to say, 2 went to young lads because we should be investing in the future of our sport.

A very experienced breeder of show terriers once said to me that she would never charge over £300 for a pup (and she thought that was having a laugh!) because it was her choice to breed dogs; she was breeding to her ideal picture of a terrier and she counted herself grateful that people were willing to take the pups she didn't select herself for the show ring and give them good homes. She didn't see why these good people should subsidise her hobby. (No, I never managed to persuade her to switch to gundogs :) )

Edited by Mossdog

I sympathise, David. It's a vicious circle to break out of, because rising pup prices mean rising stud fees and I've been told by vets that while some of the health checks are expensive, others are not, but the certificate pads that the vets have to use to record the results are just ridiculously priced, so they have to pass that on to the owners.

Viszlas seem to have exploded in popularity as pets too, recently. I wonder if this has pushed the price up, because there is a demand from people prepared to pay that sort of money? It's counter-productive in the long term (to me, anyway) because a high cost doesn't necessarily attract the right sort of owner. It's all well and good saying that per working year of the dog's life, it's not too bad but...

If you're going to be working your dog regularly, you've also got the other associated expenses, like decent weatherproof clothing, transport, cartridges, kennel etc.

If you could pay for the dog in installments for every year of the dog's life (which is never going to happen) then that argument would make sense - but £1,000 is more than 1 months' wages to many people and all in 1 lump sum, it is a heck of a lot, whichever way you slice it!

I'd also be very wary of paying anything like that for a breed (not getting at Viszlak here, coz I know there are some good working dogs in the UK) that hasn't got a really strong working base in the UK, because I'd want a gundog, not a pet that can dabble in gundog work and may or may not cut it in the field. If I wanted to import and establish an overseas breed (or revive a traditional native one that has become more of a show / pet) then I'd be offering experienced, working homes a hell of a good deal and asking for some honest feedback.

However, I am an old fashioned Luddite and an old lady :D All I can say is take a trip to Ireland and look on Donedeal and take your chances!!!

• Like 2

I sympathise, David. It's a vicious circle to break out of, because rising pup prices mean rising stud fees and I've been told by vets that while some of the health checks are expensive, others are not, but the certificate pads that the vets have to use to record the results are just ridiculously priced, so they have to pass that on to the owners.

Viszlas seem to have exploded in popularity as pets too, recently. I wonder if this has pushed the price up, because there is a demand from people prepared to pay that sort of money? It's counter-productive in the long term (to me, anyway) because a high cost doesn't necessarily attract the right sort of owner. It's all well and good saying that per working year of the dog's life, it's not too bad but...

If you're going to be working your dog regularly, you've also got the other associated expenses, like decent weatherproof clothing, transport, cartridges, kennel etc.

If you could pay for the dog in installments for every year of the dog's life (which is never going to happen) then that argument would make sense - but £1,000 is more than 1 months' wages to many people and all in 1 lump sum, it is a heck of a lot, whichever way you slice it!

I'd also be very wary of paying anything like that for a breed (not getting at Viszlak here, coz I know there are some good working dogs in the UK) that hasn't got a really strong working base in the UK, because I'd want a gundog, not a pet that can dabble in gundog work and may or may not cut it in the field. If I wanted to import and establish an overseas breed (or revive a traditional native one that has become more of a show / pet) then I'd be offering experienced, working homes a hell of a good deal and asking for some honest feedback.

However, I am an old fashioned Luddite and an old lady :D All I can say is take a trip to Ireland and look on Donedeal and take your chances!!!

Next time I'm looking at purchasing a pup I'll ask the breeder for a discount as I need a new shooting jacket and wellingtons.

I totally agree Mossdog.

Vizslas have a bit of a dubious reputation.Some good, some not so good.

At £1000 its too much of a gamble for me, though I'll keep looking.....Perhaps I will look at Ireland.

Next time I'm looking at purchasing a pup I'll ask the breeder for a discount as I need a new shooting jacket and wellingtons.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I thought all Scotsmen would do that anyway!.......Or you could be lucky and find a breeder who charges a sensible price for proven working stock, then you won't have to ask.