.22-250 For Deer North Of The Border

Hi all just wandering your opinions on using a .22-250 fir deer in Scotland. Is it an acceptable, humane calibre and what ranges, ammo would you suggest. I am looking at getting a bigger rifle if I enjoy stalking but want to use what I got for now. Thanks In advance

Regards

Dan

Thanks chaps. What ammo would you recommend as I currently use Hornady vmax ballistic tip but I can get the federal vital shok 60g soft point.

use the sako 55 grain game head. unless your rifle is a 1 in 12 twist. i dont think your find very good groups with the 60 grain ammo. as most 22/250 rifles are a 1 in 14 twist and not ideal.

No Deker haven't shot any deer yet. Can't wait to give it a go though. Want to get out on cwd and muntjac 1st, and just found out their is muntjac 10 miles from me where my mate has permission to shoot. He's going to ask land owner about the deer and then have it put on my ticket.

Its our English Roe mate they are a different sub species 3 times bigger and stronger :lol: more BDS bullsh*te I am afraid.

I have no doubt the BDS played its part as usual but .......

Roe was included for .22 as the Deer Act Amendment headed towards its final reading, the bill was presented to the RSPCA at that stage, who concluded (despite Scottish evidence) they could not be sure .22 was humane for Roe, they never actually said it was not suitable, so, in a last minute PC change Roe was removed from the bill.

Edit

Unfortunately I was a victim of this, having been watching the progress of the Deer Act Amendment and having long considered the .240 (.243) more than required for Roe, Muntjac, CWD I jumped the gun (did you see what I did there) and ordered my .223 just before the Final reading, to be well ****** off when I saw the last minute change.

Lesson learnt.

Edited by Deker

Its our English Roe mate they are a different sub species 3 times bigger and stronger :lol: more BDS bullsh*te I am afraid.

I have no doubt the BDS played its part as usual but .......

Roe was included for .22 as the Deer Act Amendment headed towards its final reading, the bill was presented to the RSPCA at that stage, who concluded (despite Scottish evidence) they could not be sure .22 was humane for Roe, they never actually said it was not suitable, so, in a last minute PC change Roe was removed from the bill.

The RSPCA being a well known authority on deer management and firearms... :laugh:

Interesting info Deker. :thumbs:

• Like 3