Full Body Vs Split Workout.

I'm a relative novice when it comes to working out, I've boxed and kept fit over the years but new to weightlifting. I've had the odd week or two over the years but nothing consistent.

For a beginner its recommended you start doing a full body routine, I've tried this but after a workout I feel like I haven't really trained hard or anything. I've also tried the split for example on a Monday chest and triceps, after using that method I feel like I've really exhausted my muscles and can feel the soreness the day after, gets me thinking are full body routines the way to go?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with Sandymere......do you want to have muscles that ache or muscles that grow ?......You could get your wife to jump on your back go and stand on the stairs and do 100 calf raises,tomorrow yo

I dont really have an opinion either way lads it is what it is some people go mad for it some people dont.......at the end of the day no food is bad for you its the amount of it you have thats bad for

Not sure about this myself but something to consider.   What is the protein content of say 10 eggs, how convenient are they to cook, carry and eat?   How much powder do you have to mix up to get

For my tuppence worth if you’re just starting go for big moves/compound exercises to build the power first and get the body adapted to the new moves. Once you have the major muscles improving the little stuff like triceps etc will come easier, Use free weight for deadlifts, squats, bench press etc and you can add on some more focused stuff at the end if you want. Worst fault i saw in the gym was young lads spending all their time on biceps etc when they had weak backs, legs etc…waste of time. You work the little muscle when you work the big groups.

Lastly if you put the effort in you will feel like you have worked hard lol.

• Like 3

I'd walk before you run. Once you have the basic strengh from doing compound stuff you can start to do splits as a way to reduce over training. Lot depends how often you intend to go to the gym, if just 2 or 3 times a week then full body untill you stop making decent gains. If going more often you will need to start breaking it down sooner to alow recovery time to the different muscle groups.

http://www.theptdc.com/2014/11/the-benefits-of-full-body-workouts-vs-split-workouts/

• Like 2

Full! For a beginner, Squats, Bench Press, Dead Lift, Press Behind Neck. In that order, 4 sets of each @ 12 reps, Mon, Wed, Fri. Heavy as possible!!! As soon as you can complete 4 sets at 12 reps, increase the weight and repeat!

• Like 2

Look even folk on here can't even agree what's best. All I'm saying is that I feel like I've done a better workout when I've done a week of splits than when I've done a full body routine. Another thing that's putting me off doing a full body routine is doing my back in with the deadlifting, think I need some time out from that exercise.

Look even folk on here can't even agree what's best. All I'm saying is that I feel like I've done a better workout when I've done a week of splits than when I've done a full body routine. Another thing that's putting me off doing a full body routine is doing my back in with the deadlifting, think I need some time out from that exercise.

I agree with Sandymere......do you want to have muscles that ache or muscles that grow ?......You could get your wife to jump on your back go and stand on the stairs and do 100 calf raises,tomorrow your calves will ache like f**k............but that dont mean they will grow !

Far too many people split their routine too early,if you are a beginner then lift like a beginner dont do an intermediates split......like you i boxed for years and years and lifted weights as part of training....but when i went fully into bodybuilding i became a beginner again.....when you do the heavy compounds as a beginner its not to build big muscles but to build the strength to build big muscles.....weak tendons cant build strong muscle and your not going to build tendon strength with isolations......Doing compounds as a beginner isnt like a seasoned lifter doing a bulk.......I did probably 10/12 months doing compounds only as a beginner,ate everything that wasnt nailed down and got good rest.......it gave me a good solid base and core strength to then build a body on.

As a quick example......your basic chest exercise is bench press yet most of the work is being done by your triceps......so ok next day you train triceps seperately............ in effect the small group of muscles at the back of your arms is being worked far harder than the big showy muscles of the chest !

Only my opinion of course :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 5

So to you guys this is the way to go....

Workout A

Squats

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

2 minutes rest between sets.

Bench Press

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Rows

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Triceps Press Downs

1 set of 10-12 reps.

Calf Raises

1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.

1 minute rest between sets.

Workout B

Deadlifts

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Pull-Ups (or Lat Pull-Downs)

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Overhead Shoulder Press

3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Biceps Curls

1 set of 10-12 reps.

Abs

1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.

1 minute rest between sets.

Full! For a beginner, Squats, Bench Press, Dead Lift, Press Behind Neck. In that order, 4 sets of each @ 12 reps, Mon, Wed, Fri. Heavy as possible!!! As soon as you can complete 4 sets at 12 reps, increase the weight and repeat!

This is my routine. 1 hour (after warm-ups) 3 times a week. I've used it for years and it has worked for me, not really changed much (except for Olympic chains on all the exercises, one week on one week off) 49 years of age 5` 7" Chest 48" Bicep 17" Thigh 24" Waste 32" Bench 235lbs Squat 335lbs Dead Lift 340lbs Press Behind Neck 140lbs :-)

I agree with Sandymere......do you want to have muscles that ache or muscles that grow ?......You could get your wife to jump on your back go and stand on the stairs and do 100 calf raises,tomorrow your calves will ache like f**k............but that dont mean they will grow !

Far too many people split their routine too early,if you are a beginner then lift like a beginner dont do an intermediates split......like you i boxed for years and years and lifted weights as part of training....but when i went fully into bodybuilding i became a beginner again.....when you do the heavy compounds as a beginner its not to build big muscles but to build the strength to build big muscles.....weak tendons cant build strong muscle and your not going to build tendon strength with isolations......Doing compounds as a beginner isnt like a seasoned lifter doing a bulk.......I did probably 10/12 months doing compounds only as a beginner,ate everything that wasnt nailed down and got good rest.......it gave me a good solid base and core strength to then build a body on.

As a quick example......your basic chest exercise is bench press yet most of the work is being done by your triceps......so ok next day you train triceps seperately............ in effect the small group of muscles at the back of your arms is being worked far harder than the big showy muscles of the chest !

Only my opinion of course :thumbs:

The only trouble with a full body routine is involves lots of deadlifting, I daren't do that exercise with any serious weight in case it puts my back out again. Surely there's no point in doing a full body routine if I'm missing out one of the most important exercises?

The only trouble with a full body routine is involves lots of deadlifting, I daren't do that exercise with any serious weight in case it puts my back out again. Surely there's no point in doing a full body routine if I'm missing out one of the most important exercises?

Replace deadlifts with squats then.......its just a case of simple mechanics.....you are a beginner....with training/diet/rest being good you are going to see massive growth in size and strength over the coming months,moreso than at any other time thats just how it works for beginners your body isnt used to the stress........this is a stage where less is more you dont want to waste the big gains you make on small muscle groups like triceps and biceps you want to build a base that you can then build a body on.

Unless of course you just want some flashy little t shirt muscles for the summer in which case yes just pre exhaust your arms and chest every other day and you,ll be walking around semi pumped all the time :D

• Like 1