Do Dogs Remember Bad Experiences?

Lost the dog yesterday whilst walking in the woods. Found him an hour and a half later hanging by his back leg from a fence covered in blood but still alive.

Looks like he had tried to jump over the fence (which he has never done before) but failed and got his leg twisted in the 2 strands of barbed wire that run across the top of the fence.

Do dogs remember bad experiences like this resulting in then never attempting to do it again?

Back in the late 80s I had a apbt when it was a pup of a few weeks it got attacked by a brooding swan.as a adult it was fearless of anything except swans.if we came across a swan she would refuse to pass it..so yes they definitely remember bad experiences.

Edited by kanny
  • Like 1

Lost the dog yesterday whilst walking in the woods. Found him an hour and a half later hanging by his back leg from a fence covered in blood but still alive.

Looks like he had tried to jump over the fence (which he has never done before) but failed and got his leg twisted in the 2 strands of barbed wire that run across the top of the fence.

Do dogs remember bad experiences like this resulting in then never attempting to do it again?

Dogs have a physical memory, in that I mean when they are in a physical place where an emotional incident happened could be it chased a rabbit , fox , had a incident going through a gate ,

Whatever it was , the dog has taken an environment snap shot of everything in that location, smells , weather , every goddam thing

A bit like where you were and what you were doing when you heard about , 9/11 or some huge news to you , you know who was there what was happening , even the smell for some is in their memory bank, big emotion shock leaves big physical snap shot

The dog then reverts back to the mindset it was in that place the first time ,

The pup and the swan is a good example of the dog as an adult reverting back to a puppy mindset at the sight of what caused the issue in the first place,

I wouldntt worry about the wire thing , if the dog is a worker he'll just learn to jump higher

Edited by Casso

Dogs always remember their way to the pub. Mine were swine's for dragging me in against my will...

Yokel

:laugh: true , yeh dogs don't forget they remember where they caught a rabbit etc. and if you told them off etc. they don't forget, well mine don't bloody big wimps lol.

Yep ,,,,this youngster of mine,,,doesn't like walking up the field at the side of my house at night,,,,in the daytime not a bother ,,but at night I have to get her on the lead,,or she runs back home,,,,

All this because she got zapped by the elecy fence about a month ago at night.....

Jesus that must of been a horrible scene to come across, I fecking hate double strands of wire at the top of fences, causes so much damage to deer and dogs :no:

They remember the bad a lot better than they remember the good, just like us ;) you'll need to build his confidence up with plenty of easy practice jumps over the summer but there's no reason why this would stop him ever jumping again, should just make him more careful in future!

It might be a traumatic event that it takes months of effort to overcome.

or the dog might have already forgotten and be unphased when you train him to jump,no need to worry either way,just deal with it if it comes up.

Yeah they do, the old bitch (rip) in my avatar got zapped by an electric fence once and every time we went to that place again she didn't want to go over the stile into that field.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

I don't reckon they have mine got zapped going up a hill ferreting by a electric fence then got zapped coming back down it by the same fence either that or she's thick as feck

• Like 2

Yep ,,,,this youngster of mine,,,doesn't like walking up the field at the side of my house at night,,,,in the daytime not a bother ,,but at night I have to get her on the lead,,or she runs back home,,,,

All this because she got zapped by the elecy fence about a month ago at night.....

That stupid fukcing pup of mine has been zapped about half a dozen times now and still hasn't learned lol ........

I had a collie x that got tangled in an electric sheep fence, she was about 3 years old at the time. I got her out of the fence with a few belts myself for my trouble. She refused to run another rabbit in that field. Walked to the next field and it was as if nothing had happened she just carried on working. She would never run a rabbit in that field again, even three years later.

TC