Help Choosing A 223

T3 hunter or lite. 40g hornady vmax, sako 50g gamehead, 55g federal v shok all good on Fox and about £19 a box or ppu £10 a box if group ok

I would imagine the op has a rifle by now, this thread was last year.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With £1k you could buy a nice new Tikka T3 or a secondhand, great condition Sako. That's where my money would be spent!

I have a Tikka Lite in .223. Superbly accurate and light enough so that there is no problem carrying it around for hours.   I load from 40gr to 55gr, depending what I'm after.   What more do you n

Tikka t3 lite

Posted Images

Hi Marctitty.

Some factors to consider with a ,223".

1.) Might want to make sure that the rifle you purchased is stamped for .223/5,56. This broadens useful ammo for the rifle.

2.) Check out that the rifle twist is what you want for the bullet weights you will be using.

3.) Convertibility to the .300 AAC Blackout chambering. The 300BLK is the .308 twin to the .223/5.56. You could get a bolt action Ruger Ranch rifle in 300 Blackout. The 220grain loading, suppressed, is low noise level. The Ruger would make a good "truck gun".

Regards,

RiverRomper

Be careful what ammo you use in the .223. The .223 is loaded to a lower pressure and velocities compared to 5.56mm. Due to its lower pressure, you can safely fire .223 Rem. ammunition in a 5.56mm chambered gun; however, the same cannot be said in reverse. The 5.56x45mm ammo creates a higher pressure

Edited by Graham M
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Marctitty.

Some factors to consider with a ,223".

1.) Might want to make sure that the rifle you purchased is stamped for .223/5,56. Are there any? maybe 5.56/.223? This broadens useful ammo for the rifle.

2.) Check out that the rifle twist is what you want for the bullet weights you will be using.

3.) Convertibility to the .300 AAC Blackout chambering. The 300BLK is the .308 twin to the .223/5.56. You could get a bolt action Ruger Ranch rifle in 300 Blackout. The 220grain loading, suppressed, is low noise level. The Ruger would make a good "truck gun".

Regards,

RiverRomper

Be careful what ammo you use in the .223. The .223 is loaded to a lower pressure and velocities compared to 5.56mm. Due to its lower pressure, you can safely fire .223 Rem. ammunition in a 5.56mm chambered gun; however, the same cannot be said in reverse. The 5.56x45mm ammo creates a higher pressure

As Graham, but not many are marked .223/5.56.

I doubt any TRUE .223 will be stamped 5.56 as well, only the other way round, hence more a military/target based rifle generally!

No Idea what's happened to the OP here or what he got!