Help Choosing A 223

I would look for a secondhand Tikka T3 lite or failing that a cz 527 with set trigger. You would probably have trouble with the horrible hogue stock on a howa and by the time you have bought something to replace it with and a box mag conversion, which won't work properly anyway, you could have bought something decent from the outset. As for the Browning A bolt unless you have a penchant for triggers like rusty bog door latches forget it. The triggers in these are made from die cast metal and very little can be done to improve them, neither are aftermarket triggers available for them, which is why i got rid and bought another T3.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With £1k you could buy a nice new Tikka T3 or a secondhand, great condition Sako. That's where my money would be spent!

I have a Tikka Lite in .223. Superbly accurate and light enough so that there is no problem carrying it around for hours.   I load from 40gr to 55gr, depending what I'm after.   What more do you n

Tikka t3 lite

Posted Images

You would probably have trouble with the horrible hogue stock on a howa and by the time you have bought something to replace it with and a box mag conversion, which won't work properly anyway, you could have bought something decent from the outset.

Hogue stocks are no trouble, they're just not particularly aesthetic. It depends what you want from your rifle. I got a Howa with a Hogue in 223, and its great for lamping, as the rifle stock picks up dinks and scratches in the back of the pickup which you wouldn't want on your polished walnut stock. I reload for mine and two days ago I put three shots through the same hole .Accurate as you like and I get a 1" group with factory Win Varm X. I got no problem with my mag conversion either. Works perfectly. Tikkas are brilliant. I've got one in 243 with a GRS stock on which I use for 'posh ' stalking. I wouldn't lamp with it though in case it got damaged.

Hi Marctitty.

Some factors to consider with a ,223".

1.) Might want to make sure that the rifle you purchased is stamped for .223/5,56. This broadens useful ammo for the rifle.

2.) Check out that the rifle twist is what you want for the bullet weights you will be using.

3.) Convertibility to the .300 AAC Blackout chambering. The 300BLK is the .308 twin to the .223/5.56. You could get a bolt action Ruger Ranch rifle in 300 Blackout. The 220grain loading, suppressed, is low noise level. The Ruger would make a good "truck gun".

Regards,

RiverRomper

Personal choice mate. I can tell you this though ......... if you are going to carry it for hours then the Varmint can become quite heavy after you've dropped on a moddy and scope. I have a Lite and a Varmint. I tend to use the Varmint in sitautions where I can lay down and snipe at distance. My Lite get the most use in all honesty because the majority of my shooting has me strolling around smaller fields. Its so much easier to carry.

If you fancy something different (like I did), A Ruger No1 varmint barrel single shot is a way to look at, .223's are a bit hard to come by, but I have seen them

around, (mine's a 22.250).

The trigger is a bit 'tractorial' compared to a bolt gun, and fitting a bipod is out, as the barrel is screwed to the forend, but mine is deadly with

55gr Sierra hollowpoint homeloads over 'some' R15.

I have a left handed RifleCraft stockpack fitted for spare ammo, and a Hardy Gen2 moderator, the Foxes around here run in fear of the above!!

AndyF

Like it's been said, I loved the Remington 700, but all the ones I saw would have been far too long and awquard with the mod. I prefer the look of a rifle without the mod, but I imagine they're designed for America, where mods aren't popular. I eventually went with a Mannlicher Pro Hunter, but that's just me. Feels nice, looks nice, easy to use and is relatively short with the mod.

• 9 months later...