Help Choosing A 223

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With £1k you could buy a nice new Tikka T3 or a secondhand, great condition Sako. That's where my money would be spent!

I have a Tikka Lite in .223. Superbly accurate and light enough so that there is no problem carrying it around for hours.   I load from 40gr to 55gr, depending what I'm after.   What more do you n

Tikka t3 lite

Posted Images

Any of the above, they really is loads of them about,if its pure foxing buy something you can carry and handle, I bought the remi 700, and found it great for shooting from the vehicle,or sat ambushing, but a real burden to carry around the fields, till I had the barrel shortened, you don't need any special twist rates,a normal 1:12 will do all you want, but as for rifle there's no end to choose from, buy something modern easy to handle and remember, buying the gun is one thing you will have scope, moderator, mounts, and sling,to buy so the grand will soon go down,one thing Charlie caller mentioned, the CZ this is a good gun and not to be sniffed at,I still have my 223 but I bought a CZ American, for when I am on foot in 22 hornet, and love the gun, I made the mistake of selling the CZ American I had in 222, to get my 223, A mistake I wont make again,the 223 is a great round and kills at all the ranges you will ever need, but like Charlie caller I have a soft spot for 222, not that there's much difference in them,probably best to look for a good second hand gun, already scoped and set up,your money might go further, if you look at Remington make sure its been inspected for the trigger recall,

I have a Tikka Lite in .223. Superbly accurate and light enough so that there is no problem carrying it around for hours.

I load from 40gr to 55gr, depending what I'm after.

What more do you need? :thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2

For some reason a lot of dedicated fox rifles seem to be on the heavy side - mine included. In hindsight I think it's far more practical to have a light weight rifle with a modest weighted moderator than to have a bull barrelled lump. I've got a remi 700 vssf, the barrel has been cut from 25" to 18 and it still weighs a ton! Whilst it's very accurate I wouldn't say this is down to the weight. Go to a few shops with plenty on the shelves, handle a few and make your decision from there. One thing I would recommend for a foxing rifle is a detachable box mag as opposed to a floor plate.

• Like 1