Matting?

Hi

I have bred my ferrets every year and have been told that if they are not bred they die by a few people. I was wondering if this is true because I was considering to give breeding a Mia this year. I know about having them spade or getting a Jill jag and having a neutered hob on them takes them out of season but was just curious too see if this is true.

Letting your female go into heat is dangerous for her. Unlike humans and many other animals who produce eggs according to a biological clock, ferrets are "induced ovulators": When a female ferret goes into heat, her body is waiting to be bred by a male before it will produce eggs to be fertilized. When she is "bred" (either by a real whole male, by a vasectomized male, or artificially with injections of hormones), her body will produce eggs and she will either get pregnant or have a false pregnancy—all the symptoms but no kits.

Ferrets do not come out of heat on their own; they stay in heat until they are spayed, are bred, or die. Staying in heat for longer than a month causes severe health problems, including aplastic anemia and estrogen toxicity.

found this on google hope it helps

LurcherLad dont believe everything you read on google :laugh:

As said keep them clean and they should be fine but if its a long summer untill the dark nights return they will look a bit rough

A snipped hobs the way to go but i lost mine both to testicular cancer first at 9 years old and the second at 6 years i will probably get another hob snipped but talking to guys on here that seems to kill a few sipped hobs ?

Right thanks guys sounds like I just need to keep them clean. Anybody breed working polecat ferrets around the Peebles area? Forgot to do this earlier but here is some info on me. I first started of with an albino Jill called snowy I then found an albino hob on the moors which somebody had obviously lost and I took him in and he was a lovely animal. He was related to all my ferrets after a couple of years except the original "snowy" so is gave him to somebody who wanted to start breeding ferrets along with a trained Jill to give them a head start on ferreting. 8 years on I still have my original ferret and a daughter of hers. Snowy is the best ferret I think I will ever have, she a marvellous hunter and has a brilliant temperament. I am looking for another Jill as I feel like she has worked all her life and that she can now slowly be used less and less to take the load of her. If you would like to know anything else just ask.