Holding Still On The Shot

Ditto to "The One" but only a few months ago down the ranges a Scottish lad -Jock, ex Falklands war sniper tightened my groups very quickly.(HW 100 KT .177)

With Scottish accent in your mind please - You see those cross hairs jump ? Relax man. See those cross hairs Flip now ? Relax, relaxxx,___ Slow the breath down, now the flip is only just, , - expel breath gently ,- aim well, squeeze off between the flip(heart beat),- bullseye !

Works for me until a mini skirt is around :laugh: with a "woman" in it Rez ! :nono::tongue2:

Edited by mark williams
  • Like 1

I got shown how to shoot properly by an old boy, he was my rabbiting partner for many years, dead now, (woden take him) he was a sniper in the 50s with a Lee Endfield, .303 he made me exhale, and shoot between the heart beats, the old lad once did a 12 inch group at a 800yards with a bog standard .303 with rust in the barrel, that he had a special dispensation to have, as he was such a good shot with it, he ended his career training SAS snipers, they dont come much better than that :yes:

• Like 1

I got shown how to shoot properly by an old boy, he was my rabbiting partner for many years, dead now, (woden take him) he was a sniper in the 50s with a Lee Endfield, .303 he made me exhale, and shoot between the heart beats, the old lad once did a 12 inch group at a 800yards with a bog standard .303 with rust in the barrel, that he had a special dispensation to have, as he was such a good shot with it, he ended his career training SAS snipers, they dont come much better than that :yes:

That's ok , but I have been told " I have no heart " by many :hmm::laugh::thumbs:

• Like 3

HOLD AND BREATHING.

Never hold your breath. This causes your breathing system to think you are being starved of air and oxygenated blood and increases your heart and pulse rates to increase the flow of blood around your body thus, increasing your shake and wobble. The magnification setting on your scope will exaggerate the movements.

The secret is to inhale, come on to aim with the rifle nice and relaxed at your shoulder and in your hands. Nothing tight, grippy or the least uncomfortable or you will begin to strain and topple your control of the rifle in your hold. Then from a reasonably lungful of air (Not a great deep lungfull) slowly exhale down to the pause, or at the point where you would have to force the last dregs of air from your lungs. Your wobbles and shakes will calm down as you calm your heart rate down with practicing a slow, gentle inhale/exhale rhythm that calms your heartbeat and pulse rates.

As a former military sniper and Tactical weapons instructor and examiner, this is the technique we trained snipers with. It has the added benefit that it stops you from coughing and giving your position away.

Useful for hunting a wary rabbit with its ears trained for the slightest sounds of an enemy predator....You!

• Like 4

If using a shooting stick or bipod, some like to use their non-trigger hand as a support by placing it on the other shoulder to support the outside / butt of the gun (thumb in the armpit, hand rotated against the stock - though I've mainly seen FAC bullet rifle shooters do this.

Reading this info about shooting between heart beats has got me thinking, I guess if your fit you have an advantage, that being a lower resting heart rate, if your resting heart rate is 50 beats a minute compared to someone who had a resting heart rate of 90 beats a minute. Your going to have a slightly longer break period between beats to pull that trigger. So lay off the fags before you go shooting lol ?

• Like 1

Thanks to all who replied, I've taken it onboard. Been practicing and getting pretty much spot on every time now.

Just needed to relax, calm down and breath calmly pausing at the end of the natural breath. Always been a shotgun shooter and needed to get my rifle confidence back.

Thanks again all.