Deer Dogs

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs. Getting them the quarry regular is th

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take

There's nothing hard about catching roe if the dogs fast fit and willing to take them it's usually game over for the deer.

Posted Images

Just something fast, tough and smart, whats in it is less important.

But I think the ground we run would break a lot of peoples (and dogs) hearts.

Big difference in catching stuff in a field or running into the open, and something you almost never see, that runs through the real thick forest. . . . . .

Big difference in catching stuff in a field or running into the open, and something you almost never see, that runs through the real thick forest. . . . . .

A good deer dog should do both and be doing it regular. If it cant catch in forest then to me it would be worthless.

Do you track them often with the teckle??

A good deer dog should do both and be doing it regular. If it cant catch in forest then to me it would be worthless.

Do you track them often with the teckle??

I agree. But I think a lot of people who have dogs that did them regular in the open, or on the lamp. . . . . . may of had a surprise when hunting them in the deep woods.

The little hound is obsessed with them. She will find them, both to flush to the gun, and also to follow up on a shot one. She will happily go miles on them (think so far the furthest ive had her travel as the crow flies, was about 4 and a bit mile). . .

• Like 1

Supose its what floats your boat some guys wont run at all in forest.

Thats what your after do you find her bay on scent change when on them. My beagle x sounds like he being strangled. Real odd as he dont do it on any other quarry scent. Just normal chirpy bark on everything else.

Mine have been brought up running through them it's how you bring them up !!

That's hard to say as u don't know if the dog is holding back unless it's catching regular in thick forestry ...

There's not many forestry block in our part that holds them

And I know of the one Welsh thug is on about as his location gives it away ..

And I know a few boys who have lost dogs to death in that part and these where dogs doing it regular in same place ..

It's just a it off luck until the dog comes unstuck

• Like 2