Deer Dogs

A good 1/2 Bull 1/2 Grey 1st cross IMO. Might not be the fastest but is a pure powerhouse and could, pre ban of course, take down most species of Bambi

Ive got a shed full of very good 1/2 bullgrey mate,but when the ban is lifted I wont be hoping for a lot of Roe. You have to be realistic..

Fair enough I will bow out of this one :)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The litter I bred, bull/grey x coursing dog Might have been decent if this ban wasn't in place. But I wouldn't have said you NEED bull to make decent deer dogs. Getting them the quarry regular is th

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take

There's nothing hard about catching roe if the dogs fast fit and willing to take them it's usually game over for the deer.

Posted Images

No need to complicate things.

There is no holy grail of deer catching crosses. A decent quick ,lurcher will catch them if bred off decent parents.

A good dog for deer is the one that does it,get a size and stamp thats up to it off parents that 'used to do it' it can have collie ,bull ,saluki, deerhound etc etc etc.....get out there and educate the dog thats the biggy,adding a bit of this or that will fine tune what you have but start with parents doing.what you want

• Like 5

I wouldn't go for anything that didn't have deerhound in it. I have what we in Oz call a staghound or roo dog, which is deerhound x gh in varying mixes with some other bits and pieces down the line and I know of numerous dogs from the same line that have taken fallow regularly (albeit they were owned by irresponsible people, It's illegal here too). A good, honest deerhound of the old style is sound, fast, agile for it's size, enduring and have a temperament that can't be beaten IMO

How would we go to getting one of them tried n tested stag hound types sent over then ?

It would cost a fortune. A member on here has one, mostly deerhound with a touch of english bull. It's been trained and used for pig only. Get it over a fast type fen coursing bitch and you might be onto something. I can't remember his name but I think he posted in one of the more recent deerhound threads.

4k is hardly worth it when you have so many good dogs in the UK already. Surely though a dog that was bred for hundreds of years to consistently take deer would be the best dog to take deer you would think. I will grant most deerhounds nowadays are oversized and weak thanks to show breeding

• Like 1

It's funny as fook on here I wonder how many divs are trying to get rid of there dogs now because it hasn't been mentioned in the "best deer dog" thread lol

Get yourself out and find out what can do what like normal people do, the internet isn't the holy grail of hunting.

• Like 7

Round my way there was a lad who ran a bull cross that did them for fun nighttime in the end he only ran the dog on deer during the day there wasn't many deer that escaped if the dog was on there case.if I remember right the dog was a racy type about 25tts 75lb and really loved Bambi's.I wouldn't consider any other dog than bull cross for the land round me if deer were legal again.

How can you it be racy if its 25tt 75lb?
racy for the type it was and it probably wasn't quite that heavy.think the fact that its owner got out there and put the game in front of the dog ATV every oppurtunitybhelped Edited by matt32

There are deer dog`s & there are dog`s that take deer, the difference is in the mental attitude of the dog to get the job over quickly whether that be in the open or woodland. Most dog`s will take to the job/indeed many develop a real taste for it & i think this is the predator/prey instinct of an animal in distress that encourage`s buck fever as i call it,. However taking deer become`s a ragged affair for many dog`s especially when 2 or more dog`s are involved be that by accident or design & no sensible hunter should enjoy suffering & the very vocal affair which tends to occur in such circumstance`s. Deer long since have lost the commercial value that was once enjoyed by many hunters but to me a proper deer dog should have a mindset that ensure`s more edible meat at the end of the day rather than being fit only for ferret food & a throat hold is probably the best way to take deer i have found(in pre ban days) Deer are more widespread now than ever & at present doe`s have fawn`s & they find the seclusion of the cover & tree`s around motorways etc to be ideal especially when the lack of natural backdrop take`s shooting as a means of control out of the equation. Nowaday`s more dogmen will come into contact with deer purely by accident & this is a damn nuisance at the best of time`s where a simple walk with your dog or dog`s can become an incident that involves crossing a road. 20yrs ago i found that up here in Scotland at our show`s under 24inch was regarded as a rabbiting dog & the over`s as hare or deer dog`s with deerhound blood prevalent in such classes . However i have seen many crosses since then that done the job pre ban & probably the best i saw was my mates saluki X greyhound from Tor of Dartmoor. Indeed at the time he was able to sell the roe to a gamedealer but after 1 night where 6 roe were taken & i had the job of carrying them back to the car in the dark & then gutting them im pretty sure i never wanted to see another 1 in my life. Halcyon pre ban day`s :thumbs:

Edited by optimus
  • Like 10

:thumbs:DSC03264_zps6166026f.jpg

The brother to yours Optimus here is deer mad! Carnt go for a good walk without him knocking one over he's had me in trouble on a couple of occasions already! He seen 2 crossing the road one day in back of the car he nearly but the windscreen through trying to get out!

6D22C77F-A807-48FD-A188-5F898EE792C3_zps

• Like 3