Springer Scopes.

Hello guys

I need your help again.et

I now have another springer, the first one I fitted a Hawke HD3-9x40 mill dot ret.

I thought I would ask the question this time to help make a more informed choice.

Information to help choice is :-

New HW95

Use in low light, Small hunting,target practice to help with hunting.

May be in wet weather.

use with small lamp fixed on.

want it to last a long time.

use close distance in barn and out in the fields up to the point I can shoot (newish but hope to get better)

I like the idea of the mil dot in my other scope.

not sure about IR or AO.

I now you must have been asked this question many times so sorry in advance but you have got me this far and I don't regret the items I have bought so far thanks to your help.

Cheers Mike.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My two pence is the heavier the better, but some have mint set ups with light weight 3-7x32's etc. Especially on a 99 for example. Your 95 is much between the 99 and the 80/98, so its a choice that di

I'm really impressed with the mtc genesis UL. For me, it's features are everything I need and no more. Think I'm going to put up a bit of a review on it.

Hello Pianoman I noticed you have a Nikon Field master, what is it like. I think of Nikon camera lenses which are great ?

My two pence is the heavier the better, but some have mint set ups with light weight 3-7x32's etc. Especially on a 99 for example. Your 95 is much between the 99 and the 80/98, so its a choice that dictated by your style and how the set up performs.

However, 98/80s will work with such lightweight scopes.

For you Id look at the Varmint from Hawke. I had one months ago on my 100, different i know but the tube is nice and long for your lamps and they have good glass and half mil dot ret, they dont have AO but do have side focus which I found spot on for range finding. It would also look the bomb on a 95.

• Like 2

Low light shooting you need glass quality, no amount of bells & whistles will improve this. I would look at the 'Vortex' or 'Nikon' range of scopes for not a lot more money than a 'Hawke'. You will need an adjustable parallax of some sort to cover all your scenario's. Ideally you need to give us an idea of budget, but personally I would go for quality second hand, rather than poor new.

John.

• Like 1

I have a Hawke sport HD 3-9-50 on my 95 ,its not likely you will be shooting long ranges with a springer , may be 40 -45 yards max .

Rez is right with the scope he said , in fact it might get one for mine :thumbs:

Low light shooting you need glass quality, no amount of bells & whistles will improve this. I would look at the 'Vortex' or 'Nikon' range of scopes for not a lot more money than a 'Hawke'. You will need an adjustable parallax of some sort to cover all your scenario's. Ideally you need to give us an idea of budget, but personally I would go for quality second hand, rather than poor new.

John.

Thanks for the reply

When you say how much do you want to spend it's more a question of how much will I have to spend to get the job done ?

How much should will I need to pay.

I have a Hawke sport HD 3-9-50 on my 95 ,its not likely you will be shooting long ranges with a springer , may be 40 -45 yards max .

Rez is right with the scope he said , in fact it might get one for mine :thumbs:

Hello villaman

I have a sport HD IR 3-9x40 IR with mill dot ret so was wanting to move more to the middle ground for a change. I am not sure what the middle ground is. I don't have an open price to spend but if I find one that will fit the bill I could save a bit longer and get it.

My two pence is the heavier the better, but some have mint set ups with light weight 3-7x32's etc. Especially on a 99 for example. Your 95 is much between the 99 and the 80/98, so its a choice that dictated by your style and how the set up performs.

However, 98/80s will work with such lightweight scopes.

For you Id look at the Varmint from Hawke. I had one months ago on my 100, different i know but the tube is nice and long for your lamps and they have good glass and half mil dot ret, they dont have AO but do have side focus which I found spot on for range finding. It would also look the bomb on a 95.

Hello Rez

I have googled this one and it looks interesting, I will put that one on my list and try it out.

cheers.

• Like 1

I had a quick look in the gun shop on Saturday but they were set up with Hawke sport hd's and I have one on the other rifle so wanted a change. There was a few others but soon found myself out of my depth so backed off to ask you collective advice.

I have not put a price on the job yet.

had a quick look on google and there was talk of mid priced scopes ? what is the cost of a mid priced scope ?

I would have put mid priced scopes from 100 to 200, but I guess it's a bit misleading. Maybe mid-range would be a better term. Take the Hawke sport hd range for example. The range has the same glass, rets and tubes, but you go for low mag and less features you can spend £30. Big mags, Illuminated reticles and big adjustable objectives you can pay over £100, but I'd still class it as a budget scope (no disrespect I actually think they are very good for the money)

Mid range for me would be mtc, top end Hawke stuff low end Bushnell/nikon. Horses for courses though!

John.

+1 on the Nikon, superb quality that cant be beaten for the money, and Rez, you can get them with an ordinary Nikon plex reticule, although I love the bdc although I do have it on a .243 with aim points out to 784 yards lol, but it would work well on an air rifle, and as for MTC scopes, I think they are overpriced shi*e.

• Like 1

John.

Thanks for the reply

When you say how much do you want to spend it's more a question of how much will I have to spend to get the job done ?

How much should will I need to pay.

Vortex & Nikon have much better glass than Hawke in my opinion, I would think £150-£200 will get you a 'Diamondback' or 'Prostaff' new. Riflecraft stock the Vortex scopes, Optics warehouse sometimes have good deals on the Nikon range along with Uttings. Hawke are ok for the money, but in my experience, they lack the light gathering abilities of the others at dawn & dusk. I can let you know from experience (33 years) that buy once, cry once is the better option. The amount of money I've wasted over the years on mediocre scopes is :cray:

John.