Lurcher X Spaniel

I had accidental mating year before last of saluki dog x spaniel bitch was going too cull them but a mate suggested keeping them so we did couple went to friends two have made very handy lurchers one is quickly becoming exceptional both day and night she hunted over moorland fields and woods both free hunting daytime n point n slip on lamp the dog pup I kept back had exceptional drive mopped up rabbit and Ray my pal loaned him too lamp but he took too tracking large species in day time which ain't food three days so he ended up with a gamekeeper who eased with him says he very handy animal

Not bad for couple too make handy tools out a litter they certainly summat different sort of dog that make its own entertainment very busy high drive but biddable

Good luck I think you will enjoy this type of lurcher where you go walking

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone else working this cross? I'm ratching about with a young bitch a friend of mine owns,keen as mustard,great hunter a little over enthusiastic for the first part of her hunting education on each

Few more pics. She's just had her first season .        

That one up north young lad using him got lamping n mooching the keepers dog a shade lighter on build than that one but same color

The one that's turned out best so far had been me pals bitch she just seems too click to everything first time

The spaniel whippets i have seen are racy and if i did not know the lad that bred them would not have been convinced they were out of a springer bitch this cross imho has a lot to offer though my preference would be to keep them small to be easier to enter cover.

I was the same trigger I wasn't sure what the bitch would look like lol,I certainly never expected it to look like that anyways..she works with that "hyper" style the Springer's do,I'd prefer to see her steady up a little and be more thorough and she may do that as she matures and develops her hunting skills? Two Crows do you think a Cocker would be advantageous over a Springer when it comes to breeding a lurcher? Nice gesture of you is that buddy

I've worked cockers and springers... If I was using a spaniel to breed a lurcher I would use a modern 'trialling' style springer. These dogs are athletic, fast and quite often not as heavily built as many shooting type springers.

Aye and they burn out after an hour.

You're right, many do. However, I have seen some that go and go. A good friend of mine has a field trial winning dog that he also uses for beating and picking up three days a week. Athletic and quick with plenty of stamina.

I had one years ago,,,accidental mating,,out of this black and white lurcher bitch,,who was a bitsa,,,collie saluki ect

pics124004.jpg

This is the bitch,,you can see the spaniel ears

pics8003.jpg

pics8002.jpg

pics8001.jpg

• Like 5

I freely admit I know next to nothing about lurchers.

But I do think a gundog has a lot to offer a lurcher. Natural retrieving, nose, stamina, but probably sacrifice speed?

A pointer/lab/spaniel etc.

Dam....working gamekeepers working springer......sire.... Lurcher.....

She's not keen on loud bangs.....( think was down to a bad experience with fireworks when she was a pup)

Doesn't work cover like a bushing dog.

Doesn't look much like a lurcher.

Bit heavy.

Doesn't turn as sharp as my other little whippet like lurcher.

Doesn't particularly go out of her way to swim.

Most intelligent switched on dog I've ever worked.

Lovely temperament

I wanted a lurcher with spaniel in because I need a dog that goes out of its way to find game otherwise around me your not going to find much. This is what she does best.

Her passion is squirrels.......I've had one too many brought back to me alive. She now catches and flings them around until there dead.

If you like mooching around in the daytime admiring a dog that loves to work then yes I would definitely recommend one. If your wanting a quick catch dog/ slip dog then no....but I am talking about the half cross.

Her work rate more than makes up for any shortfalls.....a cracking companion.

She's about 21 inch....

Old photo....

IMG_9771.jpg

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 9

Looking like a Keeper there Tomo haha,nice looking mutt though,looked quite racy? Arcticgun thats a nice stamp of pooch,would do me would that,Good honest report Wuyang ?,I'm gonna see what I can do with this little bitch of my friends,like I say she will never be on par with my big dog on a course and at pulling big critters but hopefully with her natural ability to hunt she will catch her quota of gear? I will be back out with her these next few days just for a wander,not out hunting but just out on the fells making sure she's 100% with the fell sheep (is with lowland sheep) but those up on the hills are a different kettle of fish to many dogs so will put my mind at ease with that first and foremost then see how she goes in and amongst deep peat hags,swamps and lochans etc,we may or may not get a wee hunt if we are fortunate..I quite like her and personally I think she will be handy on the fells? Thanks folks for all the replies,I've enjoyed reading them all..and don't they all look similar on here haha

PSX_20150528_180204_zpsiypiviph.jpg

• Like 8

Iv'e got a spaniel x whippet, more or less, the sire had 1/4 beddy. She's a bushing/hunting dog, i wouldn't call her a lurcher, only 16" tts, but she does catch fairly regular round cover. Bred on purpose and carefully, using well tested stock. She's turned out exactly how i expected, and a very handy dog, drive and stamina to burn, good nose, real brains, obedient. The only real fault i can pick is her being a bit nervous round other dogs, she wasn't as a pup, and i think she'd soon come round if i worked her with other dogs a bit more. All in all i can't speak highly enough of her, for what i do. Spaniels got a lot to offer as an ingredient for lurcher breeding imo, another dose of runner over my bitch and they should be good little rabbit/ferreting lurchers.

• Like 3

Looking like a Keeper there Tomo haha,nice looking mutt though,looked quite racy? Arcticgun thats a nice stamp of pooch,would do me would that,Good honest report Wuyang ,I'm gonna see what I can do with this little bitch of my friends,like I say she will never be on par with my big dog on a course and at pulling big critters but hopefully with her natural ability to hunt she will catch her quota of gear? I will be back out with her these next few days just for a wander,not out hunting but just out on the fells making sure she's 100% with the fell sheep (is with lowland sheep) but those up on the hills are a different kettle of fish to many dogs so will put my mind at ease with that first and foremost then see how she goes in and amongst deep peat hags,swamps and lochans etc,we may or may not get a wee hunt if we are fortunate..I quite like her and personally I think she will be handy on the fells? Thanks folks for all the replies,I've enjoyed reading them all..and don't they all look similar on here haha

PSX_20150528_180204_zpsiypiviph.jpg

looks a intelligent animal in that pic fuji. i should imagine she would be a pleasure to work with and train.

• Like 1