Old Lines...?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

picture of one of my sons with a couple of dogs i owned 25 years ago, i bought the half cross black one off hancock her father was rufus, the white one was a pup out of her, good dogs, good pot fille

got my bitches breeding here bosun be a good 40 years on there   even more when i add this bit on   Breeding History BALLYREGAN BOB May 1993 brindled dog Ballyheigue Mo

It is extremely difficult to maintain a definite line of lurchers...   I've set about the task several times,.but have always taken an abrupt detour... Facts are, the hunting scene has been in a c

Posted Images

I've a couple of dogs here which I can trace back on the oneside for 40 odd year,and I actually got the grandsire to both my current dogs 29 year ago this upcoming July..nothing special just grafters who keep me entertained.

• Like 4

I think if Hancock had the forsight, he would of kept a line off his original dogs. If he could trace a line back to old Merle he would be quids in!

No different than what David James was doing but with better publicity!

Farmed off potential studs for graft and kept a few bitches back. In todays market they would outsell his F1's etc but then i suppose the've done ok out of em anyway!

I think you are dead right but when you are in it for financial gain the F1 hybrid is much easier to produce consistantly..None of the inevitable failures you would have when you breed for work only and have to keep dogs on to test.

• Like 1

hancock he's been on the go since 1980 since i know of myself, probably longer, 35 years or more ???

They only used to cross using the same sires and dams until worn out. The sires stayed same for years.Only the greyhound bitches may have changed. Thats farming I think,not to be confused with breeding a line.

i was just replying to someone who was asking how long hancock has been on the go,

Neither a line nor direct type, there are two areas of this city that can trace dogs back through several generations. One pocket are the dogs that are round All Terrain's neck of the woods, i'd bet they could be traced back 30 years but AT could tell you more.

The other are at the north end of the city and go back at least the same time, though i'd probably say longer.

These are the local dogs, dogs we knew and ran as kids.

No direct planning in em, just bred performanced based only.

Didn't know much about what was in em either, as Penny said, they were just Lurchers. And they are still there.

How about your neck of the woods, has there been a similar thing going on, can you trace local dogs back that far, have a think, i bet you can..??

some more old pics of a line we started 33 years ago my pal still has stuff off these today with the addition of collie greyhound in it now

me with my old pure[ arkinglass deerhound post-5042-0-04991900-1432931715_thumb.jpg

half xpost-5042-0-99231300-1432931733.jpg

his grandson 3/4post-5042-0-65449200-1432931753.jpg

• Like 8

some more old pics of a line we started 33 years ago my pal still has stuff off these today with the addition of collie greyhound in it now

me with my old pure[ arkinglass deerhound attachicon.gifdeerhound.jpg

half xattachicon.gifhalfx.jpg

his grandson 3/4attachicon.gif3:4.jpg

Think I know who you are talking about there mate, he has the sire to my my current younger bitch that is out of my old collie type bitch from David James bred stuff.

So as you can imagine can trace both of the young bitches sides for many many years going back to the 70's atleast

• Like 1

Good stuff Cocker, thats the thing, i'd bet that plenty of people know of gear that go and can be traced back 30+ years but it all gets lost on here in a cloud of named breeds.

Just take time to think of whats around them and why it's been around so long..!

Good stuff Cocker, thats the thing, i'd bet that plenty of people know of gear that go and can be traced back 30+ years but it all gets lost on here in a cloud of named breeds.

Just take time to think of whats around them and why it's been around so long..!

next time i go and see my old mate who i started out with ill get some pics of the dogs he has today descendants of those in the pics, theres no big names or fancy breeding just good worker to good worker, owned by lad who keeps his self to his self

• Like 4

There was a good line going locally near glasgow . We called it the crowe stuff . Well after a lot of average dogs being bred , its safe to say the man who basically started this line , has a very good animal on his hands . Sal x lurcher types

• Like 2

Does anybody remember a dog called tige owened by keith morris from the killamarsh area first cross greyhound saluki this dog was a legend in the late 60s early 70s i still have a bitch from that line