Old Lines...?

Are you talking proper line breeding or just dogs we can trace the breeding of?

Don't really matter Sirius, i did put line in the post but it's more about old stuff and going back...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

picture of one of my sons with a couple of dogs i owned 25 years ago, i bought the half cross black one off hancock her father was rufus, the white one was a pup out of her, good dogs, good pot fille

got my bitches breeding here bosun be a good 40 years on there   even more when i add this bit on   Breeding History BALLYREGAN BOB May 1993 brindled dog Ballyheigue Mo

It is extremely difficult to maintain a definite line of lurchers...   I've set about the task several times,.but have always taken an abrupt detour... Facts are, the hunting scene has been in a c

Posted Images

theres a old boy down here that still has a off spring going back to hes first bitch he had over 50 years ago hes lines off dogs have turnt up in most of the best match dogs in this country :thumbs:

• Like 3

Thank's for that Penny, just the sort of stuff i was after.

Same with the coursing dogs. I love looking at the lines written down and you can see where it was first forged.

I have put this question up every couple of years or so. I just go fishing to see if anyone knows of anything tucked away quiet like.

I've never seen Hancock as a line keeper, just a commercial lurcher breeder, no matter how long he's been at it. Though some people may have kept lines from his earlier dogs?

Same with David Jones, does anyone know if that line (and it was a line) of collie bloods are still about?

For all i hear of Mr Burrell, no matter what his claimes and whatever he's added, he still keeps a line.

Anyone out there still keep an breed Norfolk lurchers, them beauties that sadly lost so much ground when the dogs from the East came.

30 years ago Norfolks, like their desert cousins were put like to like and bred true.

The old lines of Gypsy dogs, mentioned in books, have they gone to the wall?

Only in the past few years i have heard from a few lads of a rough type thats been hanging round the Welsh/Shropshire border for as long as folk can remember but who has em?

Anyways, it's just a bit of sommat to keep me interested through summer, so who knows what..??

;)

good write up bosun :thumbs:

• Like 1

There is still a bit of David James stuff knocking about. But getting less each year and the last litter I came across was out crossed.

Look at the pedigrees of James dogs, and look at plummets stuff, and look at hancocks 30 odd years ago and there are lots of dogs which appear on all them three families.

The only dog I ever saw that was a proper olde thyme lurcher was a boder beardie x grey bred by Hancock. This dog was literally let out of the cottage of an evening and would come back two minutes or two hours later, and most times would bring something with it, rabbit hare pheasant duck etc. I would have given my eye teeth to own that dog, she could do other stuff too and was the best all round dog I have ever seen

• Like 4

It's a shame most people don't breed with work in mind these days.

When I started with lurchers there was a far better selection of quality dogs than there is today infact I dare bet 90% of the dogs bred today haven't been tested properly.

Years ago I was killing large amounts of foxes with collie or Bedlington crosses and bull crosses were rare but the ones that were about could dispatch foxes effortlessly.

Them days are gone now because people have bred for all the wrong reasons.

• Like 10

It's a shame most people don't breed with work in mind these days.

When I started with lurchers there was a far better selection of quality dogs than there is today infact I dare bet 90% of the dogs bred today haven't been tested properly.

Years ago I was killing large amounts of foxes with collie or Bedlington crosses and bull crosses were rare but the ones that were about could dispatch foxes effortlessly.

Them days are gone now because people have bred for all the wrong reasons.

them days are gone doers to doers dogs can be rubbish but they still bred

• Like 1

I had a dog back in the late 80's that was line bred stuff. Mainly deerhound based lurcher to lurcher. They were good dogs but I was young and didn't do my pup any justice really compared to what they were capable of. I seen a picture on here a few months back and the dogs were the spit of mine. Anyway I messaged the guy 'CWN HELA' and it turns out they are the same line his uncles kept and now his cousin is carrying them on. Good to see!!

• Like 3

There's meant to be old pot filling lines out there isn't there that are meant to be natural retrievers etc the type you can let out and they'll bring something home. I can't see anyone keeping to a similar line nowadays though when people either want show dogs or record bag catchers.

I reckon Anne Powers' line were like that. I bought into her line many years ago, they all retrieve naturally, really need no training at all. Good ferreting, lamping. mouching, opportunistic and easy to live with: just lurcher to lurcher for I don't know how many years as they were lurchers through and through when she got her first one. Nowadays its all this cross and that cross: what happened to lurchers? The ones where you can't say what's in them but they just get out there and do the job low key. Not as high maintenance as some, and certainly more canny, but they all want wonder dog these days from big names or fashionable breeds.

Good old fashioned Lurcher, A mixing pot of breeds but have the desired effect ?

Well if anyone has a decent Lurcher for my HAWK he's from this line, they are welcome to use him. best dog I have owned, natural retriever and allround hunter. Works off slip lamping, marks, catches and will kill stuff that needs killing.

But he's almost last of line! Last of the Mohicans

• Like 5

:hmm: It is extremely difficult to maintain a definite line of lurchers...

I've set about the task several times,.but have always taken an abrupt detour... :laugh:

Facts are, the hunting scene has been in a constant state of change,...and for various reasons, the goal posts get moved on a regular basis. Unless one is living in some remote area,.doing the same thing,..with the same type of dogs,..year in, year out,...it is difficult to stick with the same style of dog...

Sadly, it is not difficult to become kennel blind and to put it mildly,..to keep on flogging a dead horse...

The thing that separates the modern lurcherman from his forbears, is the luxury of being able to improve his stock,..and more importantly, to keep on trying to produce something better than last time....I am all for nostalgia and prone to be forever looking back, .. often thinking of my early days and theoretically, better times,.but realistically,..knowing that if I had a mind to, I could now create far more effective rabbit hunting dogs, than I had 50 years ago...

For me,.the original line came to an abrupt stop,..but the train still rolls on... :thumbs:

DSC_2609.jpg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 14

There's meant to be old pot filling lines out there isn't there that are meant to be natural retrievers etc the type you can let out and they'll bring something home. I can't see anyone keeping to a similar line nowadays though when people either want show dogs or record bag catchers.

I reckon Anne Powers' line were like that. I bought into her line many years ago, they all retrieve naturally, really need no training at all. Good ferreting, lamping. mouching, opportunistic and easy to live with: just lurcher to lurcher for I don't know how many years as they were lurchers through and through when she got her first one. Nowadays its all this cross and that cross: what happened to lurchers? The ones where you can't say what's in them but they just get out there and do the job low key. Not as high maintenance as some, and certainly more canny, but they all want wonder dog these days from big names or fashionable breeds.
Good old fashioned Lurcher, A mixing pot of breeds but have the desired effect ?

Well if anyone has a decent Lurcher for my HAWK he's from this line, they are welcome to use him. best dog I have owned, natural retriever and allround hunter. Works off slip lamping, marks, catches and will kill stuff that needs killing.

Brilliant offer for someone with a handy mooching bitch.
  • Like 1

Good old fashioned Lurcher, A mixing pot of breeds but have the desired effect

any pics :thumbs:

• Like 1

Some good dogs up here years ago, but not many LINES that were kept going..seen some great 7th generation stuff that filled freezers..

There are folk that have produced some decent dogs, but it takes someone special to maintain a good line..not many about these days Im affraid

hancock he's been on the go since 1980 since i know of myself, probably longer, 35 years or more ???

They only used to cross using the same sires and dams until worn out. The sires stayed same for years.Only the greyhound bitches may have changed. Thats farming I think,not to be confused with breeding a line.

• Like 7

I think if Hancock had the forsight, he would of kept a line off his original dogs. If he could trace a line back to old Merle he would be quids in!

No different than what David James was doing but with better publicity!

Farmed off potential studs for graft and kept a few bitches back. In todays market they would outsell his F1's etc but then i suppose the've done ok out of em anyway!

Good old fashioned Lurcher, A mixing pot of breeds but have the desired effect

any pics :thumbs:
Yes, plenty have a look through my old posts he's a merle!