Old Lines...?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

picture of one of my sons with a couple of dogs i owned 25 years ago, i bought the half cross black one off hancock her father was rufus, the white one was a pup out of her, good dogs, good pot fille

got my bitches breeding here bosun be a good 40 years on there   even more when i add this bit on   Breeding History BALLYREGAN BOB May 1993 brindled dog Ballyheigue Mo

It is extremely difficult to maintain a definite line of lurchers...   I've set about the task several times,.but have always taken an abrupt detour... Facts are, the hunting scene has been in a c

Posted Images

Yeh he sure can talk,,,,I remember him banging on about the shoulder structure of a particular dog,,,,he had this photo of a 15 century tapastry,,,he pointed to a dog on this tapestry and said look at the shoulder on that dog,,,,it's the same as this one here.....

• Like 2

Yeh he sure can talk,,,,I remember him banging on about the shoulder structure of a particular dog,,,,he had this photo of a 15 century tapastry,,,he pointed to a dog on this tapestry and said look at the shoulder on that dog,,,,it's the same as this one here.....

He's just another Plummer but cant write a book..!

On 25/05/2015 at 22:52, Bosun11 said:

Just for the hell of it really.

The line i've kept must be near 30 years old now. Them bull bloods are well documented, true or not!

Same with them coursing dogs, we can take it right back, Laddie, Swoop, Hoover and well before.

So, other lines, Lurcher/Lurcher, Beddy, Collie, Deerhoundy and uncle Tom Cobbly an all.... Anyone out there keeping the same OLD stuff going?

What's still out there, 30-40 years plus down the line. Is there some family of dogs that live on, dispite all trends and are valued in a small area, or by a small group of people who really apreciate em (and for fecks sake, don't say Minshaw!).

;)

This is what i run,if something not correct let me know.Not named the lucas pup as yet,Mask and Razzle line where it stands today obviously ongoing.

Edited by runem
private
  • Like 3

There's meant to be old pot filling lines out there isn't there that are meant to be natural retrievers etc the type you can let out and they'll bring something home. I can't see anyone keeping to a similar line nowadays though when people either want show dogs or record bag catchers.

• Like 5

as somebody mentioned earlier handcock..how longs he on the go,

Are the lines consistent,or is it any old grey and collie cur drafted in to produce pups?

dont know thats why i was asking,when i was talking to him he recons he has bred some of them collies a brave while,

as somebody mentioned earlier handcock..how longs he on the go,

Are the lines consistent,or is it any old grey and collie cur drafted in to produce pups?

when i spoke to him he said "some of his border/beardies are related going back some years...the greyhounds are from anywhere"

whilst the greyounds still have the hunt chase,kill instinct in them even if off a track,the collie hybrids have not worked for years surley they cant have the drive herding instinct and general working farm bred collie.

i had a 3/4 greyhound collie from him 17 years ago it was a good dog,it got old and i purchased another to replace it,...When i went to collect it it was skin and bones and had very very bad diarrhea, i should never have bought it and left it where it was.It was clever but had no working/hunting

instinct,it actually never chased anything not a single thing,.Strange i was talking to a good friend about it the other day,we think it could possibly have had been really ill before i got it and it had never really recovered(parvo mentioned)

I am not calling hancock but i will never ever have another dog from him/his daughter.

• Like 2

There's meant to be old pot filling lines out there isn't there that are meant to be natural retrievers etc the type you can let out and they'll bring something home. I can't see anyone keeping to a similar line nowadays though when people either want show dogs or record bag catchers.

I reckon Anne Powers' line were like that. I bought into her line many years ago, they all retrieve naturally, really need no training at all. Good ferreting, lamping. mouching, opportunistic and easy to live with: just lurcher to lurcher for I don't know how many years as they were lurchers through and through when she got her first one. Nowadays its all this cross and that cross: what happened to lurchers? The ones where you can't say what's in them but they just get out there and do the job low key. Not as high maintenance as some, and certainly more canny, but they all want wonder dog these days from big names or fashionable breeds.

• Like 12

Thank's for that Penny, just the sort of stuff i was after.

Same with the coursing dogs. I love looking at the lines written down and you can see where it was first forged.

I have put this question up every couple of years or so. I just go fishing to see if anyone knows of anything tucked away quiet like.

I've never seen Hancock as a line keeper, just a commercial lurcher breeder, no matter how long he's been at it. Though some people may have kept lines from his earlier dogs?

Same with David Jones, does anyone know if that line (and it was a line) of collie bloods are still about?

For all i hear of Mr Burrell, no matter what his claimes and whatever he's added, he still keeps a line.

Anyone out there still keep an breed Norfolk lurchers, them beauties that sadly lost so much ground when the dogs from the East came.

30 years ago Norfolks, like their desert cousins were put like to like and bred true.

The old lines of Gypsy dogs, mentioned in books, have they gone to the wall?

Only in the past few years i have heard from a few lads of a rough type thats been hanging round the Welsh/Shropshire border for as long as folk can remember but who has em?

Anyways, it's just a bit of sommat to keep me interested through summer, so who knows what..??

;)