Old Lines...?

I have a David James dog still with me. Both parents were DJ lines - sire was from Scotland, which also appeared in the mother's line. The mother was mine and came direct from DJ's daughter. I can trace the lineage all the way back to DJ's first dog. While I never worked him in the field, his couple of experiences showed that he was out thinking more experienced dogs....he decided not to mark the netted holes but marked the rabbits escape route instead. His more usual activity was flyball and he got to Crufts....his team reached the semi-finals. I know you'll all have a low opinion of flyball but he was timed over 51 feet as the fastest there was which is quite an achievement for a dog weighing 28kgs....a lot of weight to get moving over such a short distance. His speed was due to his determination as he doesn't have a greyhound shape (55% Geyhound:45% Collie).

• Like 6

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

picture of one of my sons with a couple of dogs i owned 25 years ago, i bought the half cross black one off hancock her father was rufus, the white one was a pup out of her, good dogs, good pot fille

got my bitches breeding here bosun be a good 40 years on there   even more when i add this bit on   Breeding History BALLYREGAN BOB May 1993 brindled dog Ballyheigue Mo

It is extremely difficult to maintain a definite line of lurchers...   I've set about the task several times,.but have always taken an abrupt detour... Facts are, the hunting scene has been in a c

Posted Images

I think I've said before, we stand on the shoulders of centuries of breeding, i wonder how modern lurchers stand against the dogs of the past when greyhound were still closer to their coursing roots.

He, who outbounded time and space,

The fleetest of the greyhound race,

Lies here! At length subdued by death,

His speed now stopped, and out of breath.

Ah! gallant Snowball! what remains

Up Fordan's banks, o'er Flixton's plains,

Of all thy strength — thy sinewy force,

Which rather flew than ran the course?

Ah! what remains? save that thy breed

May to their father's fame succeed;

And when the prize appears in view,

May prove that they are Snowballs too.

Anon

i think major topham put that on snowballs grave. he won every course he ever ran in,and all my dogs trace back to him. honest :thumbs:

He was a tidy dog,my mate had a pup out of him to a saluki x white gsd bitch,Alsation colour but feathered like saluki and it could run,my mate then put a merlin/eve bred dog over her and the pups were flyers too,I know the were sold on and the gsd was kept quiet, lol,and changed for bull,the sire was called scout,pups put back too sal/greys and no one's any wiser,seen one or two on here few years back,these peds that are banded about only as truthfull as the man writing it.small world.atb dc

Edited by Daniel cain
  • Like 3

including this dog a legend that was injected into coursing dogs around 1985

post-5042-0-83042500-1451856076_thumb.jpg

post-5042-0-75409200-1451856160.jpg

Ballyregan Bob is a famous racing greyhound from the 1980s. Along with Mick the Miller and Scurlogue Champ he is arguably one of the greatest three hounds that ever raced in Britain.[1]

Ballyregan Bob was a brindle dog and was whelped in May 1983. Trained by George Curtis he would become world famous for breaking the world record for consecutive race wins.

In 1985 Ballyregan Bob won three major events, the Olympic at home track Brighton, the Test at Walthamstow and the Essex Vase at Romford. Whilst winning these events he remained unbeaten and was on his way to setting the world record. He also qualified for the final of the classic race the St Leger at Wembley but was a non runner in the final.

Wins and track records continued to come his way in 1986 until on 9 December he lined up for the Racing Post Challenge at Brighton and duly broke the world record held by American greyhound Joe Dump by winning his 32nd consecutive race.

Ballyregan Bob has the unique distinction of being the only dog ever nominated as Guest of Honour at the commissioning of Royal Navy warship HMS Pursuer - an accolade awarded because of the depiction of a greyhound in the ship's badge.

After his death of old age in 1994, the greyhound was exhibited in the Natural History Museum in Tring along with Mick the Miller.

• Like 2

Does anybody remember a dog called tige owened by keith morris from the killamarsh area first cross greyhound saluki this dog was a legend in the late 60s early 70s i still have a bitch from that line

Keith still lives in village,i bought a pup off keith in 1990 out off a dog called sam who's sire was Tige the pup turned out a good single handed bitch.

Right sounds stupid but the only experience I have of line breeding is my grandad breeding springer's he wanted to keep his line going so went back to an uncle of his bitch and when he out crossed he went to cousins if that how u put it NOW I no feck all about breeding anything but if you keep the same genie pool going for say 20/30 years how often would u out cross to stop to much inbreeding and how would u go about getting back to your original line after an out cross or am I getting this completely wrong.

Does anybody remember a dog called tige owened by keith morris from the killamarsh area first cross greyhound saluki this dog was a legend in the late 60s early 70s i still have a bitch from that line

Keith still lives in village,i bought a pup off keith in 1990 out off a dog called sam who's sire was Tige the pup turned out a good single handed bitch.
Was sam a black dog

Was sam a black dog

yes pal he mated a greyhound bitch which my bitch was out of.