Thought ?

I'm reading Lyn Harber's book "Hunters of the Welsh Hills" at the moment.

In the chapter on John Pugh, Llanwrthwl Farmers, JP says "Although more expensive, I found feeding dry food superior to feeding flesh because hounds fed on flesh could not hold a cold line as well as hounds fed on dry food."

Have any of you ever heard of this opinion before ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive never heard so much shit in all my life

This might sound a bit fanciful, but as someone who suffers from chronic sinus problems, I've learned that a low grade intolerance to certain cereals (gluten) can cause sinus, and hence nasal congesti

Wise words ....its similar to what I say now a days when asked regarding what the scent will be like today ...my answer nowadays is I will tell you when I see the hounds on a line ...scent is not jus

Interesting point of view alright.. I'd also be interested to know if there was many packs who could actually challenge his point of view from expierience? Instead of jumping up with thats aload of shit straight away lol. Hard to beat an opinion from a man and pack, who apparently, are bang at they're business. It's a move i'd of never contemplated, money aside, hounds need condition. And theres no better than flesh.

On another note. Lyn's books are top drawer. Really really enjoy them and it's nice to have a bit of reading from the hound world. From the two Try Backs to Hunters of the Welsh hills. Was chuffed to bits to have a flyer through the post the other week for another new release. Hopefully it's as good.

• Like 2

My case being how can what the hound is fed on can inprove the hounds nose or its want to hold a cold line I would think a hound fed on flesh come 3 o clock in the day would have more desire to hold a cold line if it ever did come down to food before the breeding of the hound and I was quick with my opinion earlier cause ive read the book and felt the same way then

• Like 1

Iv worked with hounds that could hold their own with any in the British Isles and they were fed flesh...iv seen lots of packs across the country fed dry meal and they didn't hunt any better.... I could ask someone who has switch and I'm sure he would say he didn't see a difference, sure he would of said if he noticed.

Many singal handed huntsmen notice a difference in how life flows along once they stop the flesh round, prob with overall improvements in kennel life because skinning and picking up everyday non stop isnt easy singal handed.

• Like 1

Interesting point of view alright.. I'd also be interested to know if there was many packs who could actually challenge his point of view from expierience?.

Well when i read it first my opinion wasn't far away from yours to be honest lads. But the question above still stands. Theres so many variables when it comes to Hounds, Hunting and Scent that it'd take alot of judgement. Like i say.. When it's a man with a wealth of expierience, and more so his hounds doing the talking, sometimes it's best to take another mouthful and ponder an opinion. Were as if it was from a man that hadn't a ounce about hounds, more ferrets. I'd merely grin and smile. A bit like Socks.

• Like 1

Iv worked with hounds that could hold their own with any in the British Isles and they were fed flesh...iv seen lots of packs across the country fed dry meal and they didn't hunt any better.... I could ask someone who has switch and I'm sure he would say he didn't see a difference, sure he would of said if he noticed.

Many singal handed huntsmen notice a difference in how life flows along once they stop the flesh round, prob with overall improvements in kennel life because skinning and picking up everyday non stop isnt easy singal handed.

hounds that run hard in the hunting field if fed bag food will become verry light by christmas just hunting one day a week although 3 and once they light you will never get weight back on quick with bag food there be more chance with flesh

• Like 1

Lads for those who recon that certain elements of the diet doesn't effect scenting ability might be surprised, did ye never hear about cheese and a dogs nose????

Now dry or flesh i cant compare, ive worked hounds on both, but some food do have a bearing on scenting ability im led to believe!

I would never ever call another mans opinion on hunting rubbish (as long as he's a proper hunting man) and a good huntsman will watch 14 couple better than most dog owners could watch 1.

So I'll take this huntsman's statement serious. But I'd love to know why he said it.

• Like 1

I've just had a thought.

Feeding any dog a dry dogfood dry, ie. not soaked, dehydrates a dog.

If it doesn't then why do they drink so much afterwards ?

So, if scent needs moisture to carry it and a hound is dried out maybe it picks up scent better ?????