Garden Maintence Work?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a gardener. I target high end gardens and work throughout the year. This site has lots of info http://landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topics Don't sell yourself too cheap its easy to be busy whe

Shepp take the plunge i was the same as you bud, every morning waking up thinking there's got to be more to life than this shite. It takes balls but my god im alot happier for it. Like the lads say

your bread & butter is in grass cutting alone I have 100 gardens to do on a fortnightly basis small[stampsized] gardens £5 [you will be surprised how much these bring in] £10 for back n front -get

Well what can I say, I really appreciate all your brilliant advice and kind wishes, much more than I was expecting.

Great bunch of down to earth people on here.

It's really given me the push to go forward with this, I will write down all your advice and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

Well what can I say, I really appreciate all your brilliant advice and kind wishes, much more than I was expecting.

Great bunch of down to earth people on here.

It's really given me the push to go forward with this, I will write down all your advice and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

good luck. :thumbs: at least yer trying.

One word of advice;"waste".

You'll get lots of folk who will pay you to cut their lawns and, especially, hedges even though they are quite capable of doing it themselves. What they can't do is face endless trips to the tip with car-boots full of hedge clippings and bin bags full of mowings.

Find out if your local tip takes commercial waste-they'll soon twig if you turn up day after day and try to pass yourself off as a domestic client.

Some areas have composting and shredding facilities and charge by the cubic metre for organic waste.

Otherwise you may find yourself doing a deal with a landowner.

Good luck if you do go for it

• Like 2

One word of advice;"waste".

You'll get lots of folk who will pay you to cut their lawns and, especially, hedges even though they are quite capable of doing it themselves. What they can't do is face endless trips to the tip with car-boots full of hedge clippings and bin bags full of mowings.

Find out if your local tip takes commercial waste-they'll soon twig if you turn up day after day and try to pass yourself off as a domestic client.

Some areas have composting and shredding facilities and charge by the cubic metre for organic waste.

Otherwise you may find yourself doing a deal with a landowner.

Good luck if you do go for it

if you can find a farmer that will chuck it on his middin great if not chuck your local council worker a tenner and put it on there compost pile they always have one

Edited by blackmaggie

I pay have a couple of lads do a day a week here through the summer. once a month through the winter. They charge £10/hour each. The best advise I can give is be honest. Dont bullshit excuses. Get a reliable and tidy vehicle.Pick ups look good, but are thirsty and easy for stuff to nicked from. transit sized van, so even if its p#ssing down you have somewhere dry to change/sit.

when starting dont be frightened of the dirty jobs. Most people can and will mow their own lawns. Its the weeding and other crappy bits they hate

true that, I do my own lawns +hedges no prob, but the feckin weeding does my back+knees in , so it a lot of work I think like this you may have do as well I would drop few quid me self for 4 -6 hours to somebody for crap jobs like them , as most will just want lawns edges to do 1st .

And if you're weeding, make sure to have a walk round the garden first with the home owner: a lot of people nowadays are growing what to some may appear to be weeds: wildlife-friendly native flowering plants etc. Wouldn't do to rip out or spray some mini wild flower meadow :tongue2:

• Like 1

Good luck mate , it seems as every body and there dog is at it here . Every day theres unlettered vans tralling the streets and you get a knock at the door , Want your grass cut ?, garden weeded ?. rones cleared ?. trees trimed when i asked how they would trim my trees they said take a third off with a chain saw i said feck off there apple trees :icon_eek: . Your going to have to look into risk assesment insurance etc and unless your gooing to do hard landscape your looking too make enough to tide you over the winter till the grass starts growing again and as said getting rid of the waste it £500 for a council pass for a pick up to go to the tip here and dump all the cuttings in the recyling container

if you have an income it would be better to wait till early next season. fail to plan and you plan to fail :thumbs: do your homework get advice . get some quotes from local firms. sort out storage for machinery and tools. source waste disposal options. and good luck :thumbs: a crewcab pickup is the ideal transport. if you have a place to put your tools.

Bloke I worked for a few years back, originally started of cutting grass. I worked for him as a chippy as he got involved in fancy garden buildings, was with him a fortnight and somehow he wangled a stand at Chelsea flower show, my background was exhibition stands, so I knocked up a stand & he got a gold trade prize.

He had a gang of landscapers and tbh was in prime location. He's now got a big garden centre and is now more or less printing money.

All came from cutting grass though ;)

Get your self a hap sack sprayer , by 20 litters of Gallup and go round the doors spraying weeds for a start

You ever done this, I used to work as a landscaper, family member has a large Company and does very well but he isn't doing small time gardens does big contracts. I used to do a lot of small gardens but always same customers never found door to door selling any good as they always say know, it might of been because I was only 17 at the time and appeared to young