Sign in to follow this  
walshie

Wooden House Sign

Nice job, Mr Gain, bet that took more than an hour to do. :thumbs: Iroko looks nice and lasts well but horrible dust when you work with it!

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 2

Nice job, Mr Gain, bet that took more than an hour to do. :thumbs: Iroko looks nice and lasts well but horrible dust when you work with it!

Thanks GG, yep took ages to carve. Was only a stopgap marker while the headstone was being altered, my brother now has the cross.

Seemed to be a fair bit of silica in this batch, sparks were flying as I used the tablesaw and bandsaw... more than usual. I find the dust of most hardwoods pretty aggressive even wearing a mask. Also made a memorial bench out of it, and a 6 seater patio table and chairs, looks nice when it's oiled up.

• Like 1

"I find the dust of most hardwoods pretty aggressive even wearing a mask"

That's why i like oak, dust doesn't bother me (i know it does some folks) and i love the smell of it when working it.

Got a second coat of yacht varnish on at dinner time, fingers crossed it will be dry for the post in the morning.

DSCN7074_zpscptepah5.jpg

• Like 7

Well GG, you've got to be happy with that :thumbs:

I've used a lot of American White Oak in the past and love working with it. I saved all the AWO chippings from my planer thicknesser and use it to hot smoke sausages, chicken and pork with in my converted filing cabinet, adds a beautiful flavour and rich golden colour. Waste not want not.

• Like 3

Well GG, you've got to be happy with that :thumbs:

I've used a lot of American White Oak in the past and love working with it. I saved all the AWO chippings from my planer thicknesser and use it to hot smoke sausages, chicken and pork with in my converted filing cabinet, adds a beautiful flavour and rich golden colour. Waste not want not.

Aye, turned out ok for a quick rout up in between other jobs.

Likewise save the oak chippings & give them to a neighbor who smokes mackerel with them, mouth is watering at the thought, can't get a better smoked flavor!

Edited by GruffaloGriff

"I find the dust of most hardwoods pretty aggressive even wearing a mask"

That's why i like oak, dust doesn't bother me (i know it does some folks) and i love the smell of it when working it.

Got a second coat of yacht varnish on at dinner time, fingers crossed it will be dry for the post in the morning.

DSCN7074_zpscptepah5.jpg

Lucky for you he did not revert the houses name back to what it was originally.

TC

• Like 1

For sale: 1 broken number plate with house name on, complete with hanging strimmer wire. £50 o.n.o

For sale: 1 broken number plate with house name on, complete with hanging strimmer wire. £50 o.n.o

Wrong section!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If you get 50 for it i want a cut ;)

I could rout something in timber free hand depending on how big & much you want to spend? Any design in mind?

Stone or steel possible too but a bit heavy to post.

Only about car number plate size in wood. House name is only 4 letters. :thumbs:

If I get to choose the four letters I'll pay for it....😂

• Like 4

This is cleary a modern copy. An authentic farmhouse sign would be hanging on baler twine !

• Like 1

Posted this morning Royal Mail standard parcels so should be with you by the weekend walshie.

Bugger. I thought you were delivering it yourself and hanging it. :laugh:

Thanks Griff.

Ah that's fantastic :) I wish my place had a name other than the funny farm which everyone seems to call it! :laugh:

Love that - great job :thumbs:

• Like 1