Does anyone on here make stuff like that? I'm after either a rough shape or rectangular name sign for the house. Engraved or burnt, that sort of thing.

Think it might look classier than the broken number plate hanging on strimmer wire. :laugh:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"I find the dust of most hardwoods pretty aggressive even wearing a mask"   That's why i like oak, dust doesn't bother me (i know it does some folks) and i love the smell of it when working it.  

Yep, got to agree there, very tricky indeed. Did an interim grave marker a couple of years back. Had a couple of practises with the router, but didn't have the confidence to use the router on the actu

Free hand with a router , anyone tried it ...its almost impossible , the machine has a mind of its own ffs ...

Posted Images

I'm sure one of the talented lads on here can step up for you.

A smart glass engraving. Mounted over a piece of welsh slate with shiny stainless steel fixings??

I could rout something in timber free hand depending on how big & much you want to spend? Any design in mind?

Stone or steel possible too but a bit heavy to post.

Only about car number plate size in wood. House name is only 4 letters. :thumbs:

Sussex requested a preview so here it is at the start, nothing fancy, just free-hand but functional, will get one of the finished sign tomorrow. Just waiting for the wash coat of varnish too dry, don't know why but the first coat always takes ages on oak. Still a bit tacky this-morning but hopefully be dry enough and i can get a second coat on when home for lunch and in the post Wednesday, if not will be posted Thursday.

DSCN7037_zpstmb3jq8a.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 2

Yep, got to agree there, very tricky indeed. Did an interim grave marker a couple of years back. Had a couple of practises with the router, but didn't have the confidence to use the router on the actual piece, so used hand carving chisels on the iroko, flooding the lettering with black enamel paint.

post-84277-0-93502100-1432635005.jpg

• Like 6