Clumsy Dog Or Unlucky!

Well the last time I posted was when my 18 month old lurcher hit a tree at full speed, smashing her teeth out and recieving an almost fatal stab wound to the chest where a branch narrowly missed the vitals!

After a massive vets bill and a long, long recovery she would not do a thing even jumping at her own shadow. I posted on here for some advice and to see what others had done in similar situations and recieved some really helpful advice (unusual for THL I know.lol) which eventually led me to decide to retire the girl as she just would not chase and was very nervous.

Anyway, after a year plus of coming running with me, general walks with my patt and springer and left to her own devices I suddenly started to see a bit of willing and a glimmer of hope so decided to capitalise on it and re-started at the beginning. She was showing signs of improvement all around but by no standards quality not that it bothers me as I am happy to just see a dog used for their intended purpose as they cant all be top notch! Still, I was pleased for her as she was definately gaining confidence and a happier dog.

Soooo! Last week I went away for a couple of days and left the dogs with friends and family, the lurcher went to my sister. Two days in and I get an early morning call from my sister explaining that while she was walking her on local park and woodland with her lap dog, mine headed into the woods then started screaming, my brother-in-law ran in to find her frozen with one leg off the ground and a massive wound almost from ear to ear like she had her throat cut in a slaughter house! He rushed her to the nearest vet who performed emergency surgery and managed to stitch he up...just, apparently! Again, she had missed the vitals by pure luck and knicked her top muscle hence the floppy leg!

Needless to say I came home early to sort out a massive vets bill which me and my sibling went 50/50. She will make a full physical recovery but is a doubt at any of the shows! lol. Seriously though, the girl will stay with me regardless but I need to decide whether it is time to reign her in before her 3rd birthday as she has also picked up numerous less serious injuries. I seriously doubt if she will make a mental recovery this time as she has gone a little back inside herself again. Dogs eh! I know its par for the course but its really tough to see a working dog literally destroying herself piece by piece. Not sure what happens next? Although I think a more sedate life is probably in order.

Thanks for reading the essay! lol. Any helpful and genuine thoughts or suggestions greatfully recieved.

Thanks Guys

Pat

Edited by redpat1

Cheers Katchum, I know that all to well! The dog stands me in a few K now. lol. I dont even care about the money, though I didnt say that when I saw the bill. lol. I am more interested in whether to keep her away from the working scene or if she is willing to let her carry on until she bankrupts me! lol. She is a great companion with a lovely temprement so there is no question of her being rehomed. I just wanted to hear some thoughts from others not emotionally involved in the decision as it is always difficult to make decisions based on the heart.

Cheers

Pat

Get insurance mate. Best thing I ever done lol

Honestly mate, money is secondry when it comes to the welfare of my dogs. I am really am more concerned in what lies ahead for her.

However, I looked at insurance when she was a pup but it was astronomical and I think that all the money I would have spent on insurance still would have been more than her treatment, plus I have the other two dogs who have been injury free thus far (I have put the mockers on it now).

I just want whats best for the dog, money isnt an issue so to speak. Thanks for your input though.

Pat

After Trevor and having to pay out thousands to no avail for him, this tit injuring himself almost feckin weekly (no I don't walk him in dangerous places... he's just too fast and too fuuckin stupid :laugh: ) and reading this........

I have decided to get him insured :laugh::thumbs:

Cheers Albert. yeah you are right, I would be surprised if the girl makes it to a natural end! lol.

Mushroom, you obviously feel my pain and the wallet grabbing vets bills too! She is a quick dog and by the sound of it a bit f$%*&ing stupid to boot. I cant even blame her eyesight as she can spot a cat at 1/2 a mile. Still, in for a penny....as the saying goes!

Pat

I admire your love and dedication to such a lost cause working wise mate . If I'm honest I couldn't or wouldn't have kept the dog . The dog sounds a liability to itself and probably be best kept in a inviroment were it can hurt itself , somewhere like a padded cell or a room made of marshmallow lol only joking . Good luck with whatever you choose! Clumsy or unlucky ? Definitely clumsy because it would've been unlucky if it had me as an owner and not you lol .

Edited by marshman
  • Like 1

Cheers Marshman, you know me personally so you know I have a soft centre, probably to soft for working dogs but I expect you already knew that. You also know that your advice is worth double anyone elses to me so I think its time for her to be a little lapdog! lol Hope you are well mate!

All the best

Pat

• Like 1

~Tunnel vision, lack of self preservation and spatial awareness and high prey drive. Not a good combination. Definitely not desirable in a working dog, and I've buried a few like that at a young age.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, just back from the vets where she had the rain removed and an examination, they are very happy with her progress and expect her to make a full physical recovery. They pretty much echoed your comments Skycat as the vet herself has 5 lurchers who apparently rip themselves open on a regular basis. I exclaimed that she didnt have to pay the extortionate fees to put them back on the road everytime though which drew a bit of a frosty response. lol. Still, she seems to know her stuff and she bloody should for the amount I have paid out.

Just greatful to have her on the mend when all said an done.

oh, forgot to say that the vet thinks she still has a limp (not that I can see) and wants to scan her next week if it doesnt improve! Wondering how much more he is going to try and take me for!

Pat

• Like 1

Never tell the vet you are insured ;)

Edited to add I have a great vet here. In months of visits check ups etc I only ever paid for meds, procedures and that's it only ever paid for one consultation and that was fuuck all ;)

Edited by mushroom

Try to get 2nd opinion on that limp..a bone man or track vet? Your bitch has had a few bad ens in a short space of time. .she must be clumsy and unlucky with it ..hope she comes good for you atb sesku

Edited by s.e.s.k.u

Ufortunately it wasnt my regular vet as like I sais I was away for a few days and my sister took her to the nearest vet to where she lives. My own vet would have been cheaper and a bit more forthcoming with me as they are ok with working dogs.

Sesku, I am sure she has moved a little different since the last injury but it hasnt slowed her down now she has/had her confidence back! There has been no issues and definately no discomfort judging by the small places she crams herself into! I am fairly sure that this vet wants a new Range Rover.

Pat

Good show mate.some Boys want these do or die dogs as been argued on here many times.I believe a well bred dog will run clever it may miss the odd bit but you can't catch much with a dog that's got a broken leg due to bouncing of a hedge or fence at full pelt.hope your dog make a good recovery