I Do Love A Merle

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just beautiful .......     Those eyes ......  

Pup I bred

I didn't know you knew Anthony Worral Thompson?

Posted Images

:victory:Nice to see all the various colour combos...

I've always had a real interest in such things,....the pelt colouration of these dogs is so unique and individual....they might look similar, but are never the same....

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

That is an unusuall one Phil ,,,

Yeah,..the Merle factor can produce some extremely unusual coat patterns,...got nothing to do with working ability, obviously,..but for my sins, I like the results and as stated, I find them interesting..

Possibly seeing the coloured Gypsy Cobs and Vanners, back in my youth got my eye in.. :yes:

Was at my local horse fair yesterday,..met a few old pals,..had one or two beers,..we talked the talk, and run so many good hares, big Stags and fast rabbits,.that I doubt there are any poor feckers left alive in Southern England.. :laugh:

Not many outstanding grais on offer though,...vonga a bit thin on the ground perhaps ?

Anyway,..Merles,..yes I like em, same as my few good hunting friends, unique and genuine :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7

That is an unusuall one Phil ,,,

Yeah,..the Merle factor can produce some extremely unusual coat patterns,...got nothing to do with working ability, obviously,..but for my sins, I like the results and as stated, I find them interesting..

Possibly seeing the coloured Gypsy Cobs and Vanners, back in my youth got my eye in.. :yes:

Was at my local horse fair yesterday,..met a few old pals,..had one or two beers,..we talked the talk, and run so many good hares, big Stags and fast rabbits,.that I doubt there are any poor feckers left alive in Southern England.. :laugh:

Not many outstanding grais on offer though,...vonga a bit thin on the ground perhaps ?

Anyway,..Merles,..yes I like em, same as my few good hunting friends, unique and genuine :thumbs:

DSC_4301.jpg

969805_593991427291664_854636066_n.jpg

ar Wickham horse fair, I was there yesterday with cousins as they live not fair away

Best of luck with your pup Ken, out of curiousity why haven,t you ever bred from your first cross collie greyhound Teegan, she is a fine example of her cross and i believe a very good worker, why buy pups in when you can breed your own, Torchies excellent dog Dan, would be a good dog to put over her, he too is a excellent worker and has all the right attributes a collie greyhound should have, which is good feet, good coat, plenty of bone, a good broad head, and plenty of brains, and stamina, and just enough speed, and a fantastic temperament to go with it, that would be my choice, all this nonense about speed is rubbish, a good ferreting/ lamping dog needs all the attributes i,ve just mentioned, has long has they have enough speed to a catch a rabbit thats good enough for me, alot of collie greyhounds that are being bred nowadays are no more than collie marked greyhounds, that have snipey heads , bad feet, no bone, and thin coats. regards collie john.

• Like 2

Best of luck with your pup Ken, out of curiousity why haven,t you ever bred from your first cross collie greyhound Teegan, she is a fine example of her cross and i believe a very good worker, why buy pups in when you can breed your own, Torchies excellent dog Dan, would be a good dog to put over her, he too is a excellent worker and has all the right attributes a collie greyhound should have, which is good feet, good coat, plenty of bone, a good broad head, and plenty of brains, and stamina, and just enough speed, and a fantastic temperament to go with it, that would be my choice, all this nonense about speed is rubbish, a good ferreting/ lamping dog needs all the attributes i,ve just mentioned, has long has they have enough speed to a catch a rabbit thats good enough for me, alot of collie greyhounds that are being bred nowadays are no more than collie marked greyhounds, that have snipey heads , bad feet, no bone, and thin coats. regards collie john.

I'm sure he tried

Hi Colliejohn,..I have always been a champion of the cur dog,.long before the concept became popular,...however,..this thread is about the Merle colouring, so often seen in some of the herding based composites... :yes:

But..whilst I could never speak for another man,...(and with all due respect to yourself,..a fellow collie lurcher devotee),...I must say (in my opinion)... the bitch you have mentioned in your post,..(if mated), would be far better served, put to a different stud than the one you have suggested..I have been privileged to have spent a fair bit of time with her,..and I know her strengths and obviously, her weaknesses...and the last thing she requires, is an infusion of more Collie blood ,..she is plenty sagacious,...... trust me.. :thumbs:

Indeed,.all this collie /collie /collie, business, needs to be given some real serious thought and its success (or failure),..is frequently dependant upon one's actual geographical location....and is obviously effected by a man's particular style of rabbiting....

Just my take on it...

All the best, Phil.. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7

:hmm:Colliejohn,..I have always been a champion of the cur dog,.long before the concept became popular,...however,..this thread is about the Merle colouring, so often seen in some of the herding based composites... :yes:

But..whilst I could never speak for another man,...(and with all due respect to yourself,..a fellow collie lurcher devotee),...I must say (in my opinion)... the bitch you have mentioned in your post,..(if mated), would be far better served, put to a different stud than the one you have suggested..I have been privileged to have spent a fair bit of time with her,..and I know her strengths and obviously, her weaknesses...and the last thing she requires, is an infusion of more Collie blood ,..she is plenty sagacious,...... trust me.. :thumbs:

Indeed,.all this collie /collie /collie, business, needs to be given some real serious thought and its success (or failure),..is frequently dependant upon one's actual geographical location....and is obviously effected by a man's particular style of rabbiting....

Just my take on it...

All the best, Phil.. :thumbs:

Dusty%20Salisbury%20Feb%202012%20007.jpg

I like the look of this 1 but it's only the merles that I have ever like in most of the colliexs.but it's only down to the colour as I've seen a lot of them come off game which was a easy kill maybe they think they couldn't catch it or what I don't know.but I would have a merle (not pure)x beddie or deerhound blood in the make up as I'm not a bullx or Salukix man even though I've judged a few nice ones.

Collie John the bitch has only ever come into season properly twice in her life ... I did breed her to a very well bred saluki grey and even though she took she absorbed the pups so getting a pup out of Tegan is a no go ... As phil said the bitch has plenty of collie in her and I don't think putting in any more collie would have been a good thing hence going down the saluki grey road ... By the way the merle pup isn't mine ......

The saluki grey dog .......

image.jpg1_26.jpg

image.jpg2_11.jpg

• Like 2