Ferreting Dogs... Whats The Best Type / Cross ? Size ?

Guest vin

Its a bitch mate, only about 18 months in the bottom pic, bit more meat on her now. 100% focused when working, full of stamina, really smart/quick learner.......her only real fault is being a bit nervous working round other dogs (except my lurcher) but i hunt alone most of the time. All things considered im very happy with how she turned out. The spaniel dam was bred by an old mate of yours, top stuff :thumbs:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whippet x spaniel     Bushes, marks, catches, obedient, hard to pick fault really  

vin this bitch ticked every box for me saluki greyhound whippet collie the bitch     i am going to add a collie x to this bitch just for more brians      

thats just what I did 22/23" intense little beggar

Posted Images

Its a bitch mate, only about 18 months in the bottom pic, bit more meat on her now. 100% focused when working, full of stamina, really smart/quick learner.......her only real fault is being a bit nervous working round other dogs (except my lurcher) but i hunt alone most of the time. All things considered im very happy with how she turned out. The spaniel dam was bred by an old mate of yours, top stuff :thumbs:

he had some real good spaniels we have had some laughs hope hes well its a lovely bitch :thumbs:

Whippet x spaniel

100_1058.jpg

Bushes, marks, catches, obedient, hard to pick fault really :thumbs:

mollypics004.jpg

Been considering this as a lowland ferreting choice my self next time round ,

She would be a useful dog on high ground i reckon mate, but lacking enough speed if you wanted her to catch bolter's regularly, thinking about putting a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy over her when i want a pup, should be handy little dogs ;)

• Like 1

She would be a useful dog on high ground i reckon mate, but lacking enough speed if you wanted her to catch bolter's regularly, thinking about putting a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy over her when i want a pup, should be handy little dogs ;)

Madgwick has a truly superb dog of that breeding... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 4

I'm running a half bred collie greyhound at the moment she is in her 2nd season, so far so good I've no complaints so far she does everything I've asked. She is about 23inch, in the future I'm planning of putting a strong whippet over her just to put an extra gear into the off spring 547C23F2-FEB9-48B5-8AAA-3C09EF41EDE9_zps cheers Neil b

If you value the benefits that the collie brings to the mix, I'd be tempted to go for a 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie than a full whippet. I've seen enough handy 1/2 crosses "ruined" in the need for speed.

• Like 2

Whippet x spaniel

100_1058.jpg

Bushes, marks, catches, obedient, hard to pick fault really :thumbs:

mollypics004.jpg

Been considering this as a lowland ferreting choice my self next time round ,

Madgwick has a truly superb dog of that breeding... :yes:

Kent%20Trip%20Feb%202012%20247.jpg

Very nice type Phil, and very similar to the sire, who was also 1/4 beddy, owned by a mate, well proven dog, i can go back 30+ years on both sides of the breeding, no mistakes here mate ;) designer mongrel, well thought out to suit me. I could put a whippet over her as an easy option, but i want some bone, and maybe coat, not that she lacks coat, but to a whippet the pups might? Iv'e lined a dog up, litter brother to a bitch my boy owns, couldn't ask any more of the bitch, so the type of genes i want :thumbs:

013-1.jpg

The bitch.

Bit of a drive to use the dog, but i'd be confident in the pups.

• Like 5

I'm running a half bred collie greyhound at the moment she is in her 2nd season, so far so good I've no complaints so far she does everything I've asked. She is about 23inch, in the future I'm planning of putting a strong whippet over her just to put an extra gear into the off spring 547C23F2-FEB9-48B5-8AAA-3C09EF41EDE9_zps cheers Neil b

If you value the benefits that the collie brings to the mix, I'd be tempted to go for a 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie than a full whippet. I've seen enough handy 1/2 crosses "ruined" in the need for speed.
. It's something to consider, finding a good working 1/4 collie 3/4whippet may prove a little difficult, but like I said its only a distant thought with her being only a young dog,I'm in no rush.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Deer grey x deer grey whippet, great ferreting dog only 11 month old marks holds in the nets catches bolters 23tts couldn't ask for any more from a ferreting dog. It's not just the breed it's the size and how you bring it on that makes a good ferreting dog.

post-99422-0-08980800-1432985558_thumb.jpg

post-99422-0-88144500-1432985601_thumb.jpg

• Like 3