Gwp

That is my GWP (Rab ) just turned 1 year old ....Its the first time I have owned and trained this type of hound and has been very frustrating at times but what I have learned is to let them be pups with just basic training and not to over complicate things to early ....but now he has matured he is a joy to train and is just soaking up all the training I am doing with him and has become a real joy to own .

He is a stunning looking animal with some bone on him and looks great watching him hunt and quater in cover ....

Anyone else got any experiance with this breed that have any tips or advice.

post-88284-0-68070200-1431415725_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

The only advice I would give, is work with the dogs natural instincts, do not try and make it into something it is not. They are like a sponge and can be good at any number of disciplines, from ferreting though to blood tracking, although I have heard that with some it can be difficult to get them to ground scent as their natural instinct is to air scent.

Stunning dog.

TC

That is my GWP (Rab ) just turned 1 year old ....Its the first time I have owned and trained this type of hound and has been very frustrating at times but what I have learned is to let them be pups with just basic training and not to over complicate things to early ....but now he has matured he is a joy to train and is just soaking up all the training I am doing with him and has become a real joy to own .

He is a stunning looking animal with some bone on him and looks great watching him hunt and quater in cover ....

Anyone else got any experiance with this breed that have any tips or advice.

023.JPG

I think that's the best advice to any trainer whatever the breed..."let a pup be a pup". Over complicate things and you can only bring in faults.

What's his mouth like.....hard or soft?

• Like 6

I have two gwp s and find there ground scenting is top notch and to track a wounded running bird mine is second to none !! There very clued in and will hunt according to ground there faced with on open ground they really open up and in thick cover they come down the gears and give it a good going over , I use mine for pheasant woodcock and duck and having worked spaniels for years before going to the gwp I think the woolys are here to stay !!!!

• Like 5

I have heard that with some it can be difficult to get them to ground scent as their natural instinct is to air scent.

Everything else you said was spot on. This is the first time I have heard of either GWPs or DDs being difficult to get to ground scent. Perhaps you inverted the terms??

I have had DDs for a dozen years. Hunted and trained with many DDs and a few GWPs (among many other breeds) here in the USA. All that I have seen have had no problem with air or ground scent. If anything they prefer tracking over air scenting. Do the GWPs in the UK have a lot of Pointer in them? The AKC GSPs, and no few GWPs, in the States do. That might explain a preference to air scenting or a lack of ground tracking.

My DDs have pointed single pheas beyond 120yds, also tracked and retrieved pheas four days after the shot. Don't consider them to have a problem with either!

• Like 2

ive got one and also a lab x gwp, one thing for sure they dont train like labs lol ! i think your spot on let them be a pup first ,i tried early training and some days he was brilliant and the next day like nothing had happened before ! he is about 15 months now and there is a HUGE difference in his ability to learn ,i think the main thing i found is THEY have to want to learn ,there is no way they will do anything they dont want to do no matter how much encouragement you give ,there prey drive is incredible and they dont give up ,its a whole new experience training both of US but their loyalty and drive are something else ,no way now would i go back to a lab or spaniel but they are certainly not for anyone inexperienced or in a rush to train a dog ,you have to progress at there speed

tiercel your about spot on i recon !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have heard that with some it can be difficult to get them to ground scent as their natural instinct is to air scent.

Everything else you said was spot on. This is the first time I have heard of either GWPs or DDs being difficult to get to ground scent. Perhaps you inverted the terms??

I have had DDs for a dozen years. Hunted and trained with many DDs and a few GWPs (among many other breeds) here in the USA. All that I have seen have had no problem with air or ground scent. If anything they prefer tracking over air scenting. Do the GWPs in the UK have a lot of Pointer in them? The AKC GSPs, and no few GWPs, in the States do. That might explain a preference to air scenting or a lack of ground tracking.

My DDs have pointed single pheas beyond 120yds, also tracked and retrieved pheas four days after the shot. Don't consider them to have a problem with either!

DUX, we seem to suffer from the same affliction.

Hello, my name is Dux, and I am addicted to Drahthaars. Please DON'T help me get cured!!! :-D

Hello, my name is Dux, and I am addicted to Drahthaars. Please DON'T help me get cured!!! :-D

I've been skipping the meetings too.

• 4 months later...