Do Your Bushers Go To Ground?

neems

if you say so mate, they will both bush hard all day. they will both work rats. the both of them are good ferreting dogs. they mark. not saying theyd refuse to go to ground. theyve never been tried. wouldnt want them going to ground as thats not the kind of work i do with them. you have no idea of how they work and have never seen them work so dont see how you can say theyre 3rd just because they dont drop to ground. i dont have the need for a terrier that drop to ground every five minutes as that would be a pain in the arse for me. so they were never introduced. i wanted them to push qurry out of cover for the lurcher and thats what they do.

My terriers push out of cover,with the big b*****d lurchers in attendance,when the lurchers are in attendance when the quarry as run to ground i expect the terriers to do their job of work,if it could not fulfill that part of its work id cull it,or the lurcher that could not graft with the terrier.You will never need to try a terrier at earthwork,it should come natural,again if it does not its a fecking cull,if they do whats wanted on your endeavours,fair play,id not feed one of them.

what ever mate, your on a different planet. its quite simple, i dont want my terriers to go to ground. if you dont like it then fine, but that doesnt make my dogs 3rd rate. just do different types of work. enough said.

• Like 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think morton is right to a degree a good working terrier should basically take on any thing. This fella was a tremendous worker and superb ferreting dog which was his original purpose but he would

Who are you to call another man dogs anything Morton? Again, the lack of "likes" on your comments shows not everyone agrees with your sentiments. If the dogs are doing what the owners require how d

My terrier doesn't go to ground, he may be too big or he might fit in some its not what I have him for, but no way is he 3rd rate, he has enough leg to work all day.

if you say so mate, they will both bush hard all day. they will both work rats. the both of them are good ferreting dogs. they mark. not saying theyd refuse to go to ground. theyve never been tried. wouldnt want them going to ground as thats not the kind of work i do with them. you have no idea of how they work and have never seen them work so dont see how you can say theyre 3rd just because they dont drop to ground. i dont have the need for a terrier that drop to ground every five minutes as that would be a pain in the arse for me. so they were never introduced. i wanted them to push qurry out of cover for the lurcher and thats what they do.

My terriers push out of cover,with the big b*****d lurchers in attendance,when the lurchers are in attendance when the quarry as run to ground i expect the terriers to do their job of work,if it could not fulfill that part of its work id cull it,or the lurcher that could not graft with the terrier.You will never need to try a terrier at earthwork,it should come natural,again if it does not its a fecking cull,if they do whats wanted on your endeavours,fair play,id not feed one of them.

what ever mate, your on a different planet. its quite simple, i dont want my terriers to go to ground. if you dont like it then fine, but that doesnt make my dogs 3rd rate. just do different types of work. enough said.

Fair play mucker,they are 3rd rate though,im a realist and not a romantic,even though i own Bedlingtons,happy hunting.

Yes mate mine drop in, most of the smaller beagles ive kept will push up as far as they can aswell, i always run a collored up terrier with the rest, i do have to be selective where i let the terriers draw with the rest but 90% of the time if charlie is pushed hard enough inside and doesn't want to leave or coursed outside and missed its a case of get the shovels cause the terrier will be on below.

• Like 2

so Morton,if you had a terrier that was BETTER at bushing than your other dogs but didn't go to ground that wouldn't have a place at yours?

I'd be the opposite,if i had one that was going to ground i'd re-home it with someone who could make use of that trait,for me it would just wreck the day and probably land me in trouble.

• Like 5

Who are you to call another man dogs anything Morton? Again, the lack of "likes" on your comments shows not everyone agrees with your sentiments. :hmm:

If the dogs are doing what the owners require how does that make them 3rd rate? After all we cant all own all round worldbeaters.

A saying pops up on here all the time... "Your dogs only as good as the game its shown" Now if the owner isnt interested in that type off work, it makes sense not to show it that type of day out. For people with no permission and no legal method of dispatch, a dog that drops in could be a right pain in the arse, and if it happens in the wrong place it can also see you on the wrong side of the bars, also not everyones cup of tea.

Ive two "bushing" terriers here. 5yr Russell and a 6yr patt. Neither went to ground, not that I wanted them to. So I got the pat spayed at 3 years old as knowing what little I did, I didnt want to be accused of watering down the gene pool, Breeding shite if you like. I could have sold XX pat pups to pet homes to friends and relatives(I wish I had now, my Ma would have pat`s instead of yorkies :laugh: ) I had people offering deposits, But I didnt breed, so dont tar everyone in the game with the same brush.

Fast forward to the start of this year, I was trapping a few urban foxes and the terriers had a sniff of them bagged up for disposal... Now the pair of them drop in anything they can. Im not saying they stay but some times they stay longer than I`d like. Which for me could end in tears.

Keep what suits you.

• Like 8

"The majority of Bedlingtons ive worked have been far from mute,noisy feckers,above and below,plus ive rarely owned one with a jacket worth mentioning,something Bedlingtons are renowned for.I owned a dog a couple of years ago that would not rein in,hit a scent and tally-ho,then many hours to locate the ignorant twat,he,s now a pet,the vast majority of the ones ive bred and grafted are perfectly biddable and rarely get lost on their bushing forays"

I take it you couldn't find your gun that time then Morton :laugh: Useless f****r might find its way into the bloodlines now? You're all over the place geezer, no clue :blink:

Why?, i expect my terriers to be vocal above and below,the more vocal they are the better they get the job done,id not breed from a terrier without those attributes.Explain?.

I'm not talking about them being vocal, i mean your double standards, telling a fella who's perfectly happy with his terriers to shoot them, and you re home your own failures, maybe with a view to breeding form it at some point?

Here's another one of your gems

"Ill guarantee that input of yours as "NO FOUNDATION" borne from experience.Ive owned countless bushers over the years and i cannot think of any terrier entered right that would not make an excellent bushing companion.Yet the terrier that stands out for me is the Beddy and its hybrids,it as a certain edge that no other type offers,i base that on experience with bushers over 30 years and not crass naivety.Any dog bred to bush,Spaniels,Beagles and terriers will do the job with distinction,there is no "BEST" to be had,thats a fallacy better fitting the nuggets about,they all do a job of honest graft,its then down to the owners hunting lifestyle and what fits his or her purpose.Bedlingtons are as good as most and better than others,if bred and entered right"

"Any dog bred to bush,Spaniels,Beagles and terriers will do the job with distinction,there is no "BEST" to be had,thats a fallacy better fitting the nuggets about,they all do a job of honest graft,its then down to the owners hunting lifestyle and what fits his or her purpose"

Its that bit in particular, saying the exact opposite of what you're now saying on this thread, "its then down to the owners hunting lifestyle and what fits his or her lifestyle" Well Gaj seems very happy with his dogs to me, like i said your'e all over the place.

When i was a kid and didn't know any better i had a very well bred digging dog that i let run free and bush, i lost him more times than i can remember, sometimes in really bad places, eventually it was his undoing, but well after i realised he should be kept on a lead at all times, except when i chose the earths for him, unlucky accident. If you've been getting away with your dogs off the lead all these years i doubt they're the real deal? And that's not to mention the problem of multiple dogs entering the same earth when they're running free, do your's know when its their turn?

• Like 4

"The majority of Bedlingtons ive worked have been far from mute,noisy feckers,above and below,plus ive rarely owned one with a jacket worth mentioning,something Bedlingtons are renowned for.I owned a dog a couple of years ago that would not rein in,hit a scent and tally-ho,then many hours to locate the ignorant twat,he,s now a pet,the vast majority of the ones ive bred and grafted are perfectly biddable and rarely get lost on their bushing forays"

I take it you couldn't find your gun that time then Morton :laugh: Useless f****r might find its way into the bloodlines now? You're all over the place geezer, no clue :blink:

Why?, i expect my terriers to be vocal above and below,the more vocal they are the better they get the job done,id not breed from a terrier without those attributes.Explain?.

I'm not talking about them being vocal, i mean your double standards, telling a fella who's perfectly happy with his terriers to shoot them, and you re home your own failures, maybe with a view to breeding form it at some point?

Here's another one of your gems

"Ill guarantee that input of yours as "NO FOUNDATION" borne from experience.Ive owned countless bushers over the years and i cannot think of any terrier entered right that would not make an excellent bushing companion.Yet the terrier that stands out for me is the Beddy and its hybrids,it as a certain edge that no other type offers,i base that on experience with bushers over 30 years and not crass naivety.Any dog bred to bush,Spaniels,Beagles and terriers will do the job with distinction,there is no "BEST" to be had,thats a fallacy better fitting the nuggets about,they all do a job of honest graft,its then down to the owners hunting lifestyle and what fits his or her purpose.Bedlingtons are as good as most and better than others,if bred and entered right"

"Any dog bred to bush,Spaniels,Beagles and terriers will do the job with distinction,there is no "BEST" to be had,thats a fallacy better fitting the nuggets about,they all do a job of honest graft,its then down to the owners hunting lifestyle and what fits his or her purpose"

Its that bit in particular, saying the exact opposite of what you're now saying on this thread, "its then down to the owners hunting lifestyle and what fits his or her lifestyle" Well Gaj seems very happy with his dogs to me, like i said your'e all over the place.

When i was a kid and didn't know any better i had a very well bred digging dog that i let run free and bush, i lost him more times than i can remember, sometimes in really bad places, eventually it was his undoing, but well after i realised he should be kept on a lead at all times, except when i chose the earths for him, unlucky accident. If you've been getting away with your dogs off the lead all these years i doubt they're the real deal? And that's not to mention the problem of multiple dogs entering the same earth when they're running free, do your's know when its their turn?

I am indeed very happy with my dogs

Spent a lot of time and effort with them. And they do the job I ask of them and more. They both work together with the lurcher outside waiting (unless he has a go on his own which is always amusing).

Honestly don't understand why I should shoot my dogs for not doing something I don't want them to do haha. Crazy world.

My bitch started as a digging dog ..so does go to ground but i can call her out..my terrier is very well trained on recall. Thank god.lol.she no's I don't like it and for most the time she leaves holes alone. She's getting on now but at one point I think al coller her up and give her a dig..I think she would of made someone a handy little baying bitch

obviously within the limits of the law.

if so is that not just a massive pain in the arse,limiting where you can go in most places?

if not (especially the terrier blooded dogs) do you actively discourage it?

I own bushing terriers,Bedlington based,if they did not go to ground id shoot them,if you want a busher that will not enter,then source a non entering type of busher,not rocket science is it?.

Instead of al this culling, could you not pass them onto someone who wanted a bushing dog that did not go to ground?Just a thought :blink:

Id say Morton spends more time shooting his dogs than hunting with them

if you had an unlimited amount of land that didn't hold the wrong sort of quarry then i could see his point,i,e not wanting a terrier that can't do it all.

still be a pain in the arse though,no quick walk before work etc

• Like 1