When Replacing Canary Eggs With Dummys

My canary has now built a nest and I have bought some dummy eggs to replace any she lays , how's best to store her eggs and do you have to turn them like chicken eggs also how many do you let yours lay before you give the real ones back , cheers

Thank you , mule , hi tong po in the canary book I have it says to replace eggs with dummy eggs so they are all placed for sitting at the same time so they hatch together and should be equal size ☺

• Like 1

Im not exactly experienced but ive found taking the eggs away to be best......the first few clutches i had i thought no i,ll leave them its only a few days difference....but quickly realised that few days makes a massive difference to chicks.

I'd say if your going to ring them then swap them for dummys so when they do hatch you only have to hassle the nest once when you ring them,if not leave them be and if you put enough food in then there'll be ok as the birds have been doing it like this for a few years now :laugh:

Don't know what to do for the best now , she has made her nest in the flight , it is under the plastic roofing and I have added plastic corner pieces to try and keep her out of the wind I have also shut the finches in the shed bit as the little barstewards kept nicking her nest , will the canaries be on out overnight ? I presume they will as she chose that pan when there is 2 inside the shed☺

As long as she's not going to get soaked or blown to bits then leave her be mate,were nothing going to have any more frosts now so they should be fine but those little finches will be nothing but pains in the arse with other birds and their nesting :yes: ..

• Like 1

I,ve got a border hen with 3 chicks and 1 egg,sat out in the flight no nest material ,the cock kept pulling it out the pan,they are doing fine,just under the plastic roof,i have put a small bit of ply on roof above for shade in case we ever get a warm day.as been said its the getting wet that kills them off.

Thanks guys , so would you chaps leave the male with her all the way through ?

Thanks guys , so would you chaps leave the male with her all the way through ?

I would ,if you don't need to use him on any hens,i like to see both birds on the pan feeding youngens,that's if the cock is ok with the eggs and sitting hen,which most are,but that's just how I keep them,he will feed the young when the hen goes for a second clutch also :thumbs: