What Do You Lot Do With Your Dogs In The Summer?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sell them

Work them ... Me and the mutts don't like the cold

Mooching trough out they year for bunny's and birds..we won't be putting no dent in the population so that's does us..

Posted Images

In the summers, most of my hunting will start late at night. It gets 100 to 105 degrees in the hottest months of summer here in north central texas. If i don't hunt that night, i will normally take the dogs for a good run at dawn. I will get a thermos of coffee, load the dogs up on my little buggy (UTV) and drive half a mile to a little farm to market road and kick the dogs out and let them run behind me as I'm riding in the barditch drinking my coffee. It's a 3.5 mile straight stretch of road with a creek at both ends to water the dogs at after a nice run each way. Later in the day I might grab a couple of dogs and go to a pasture with a deep creek or stock tank and go swimming with the dogs. This is good training for them and teaches them to relax and swim effectively and efficiently instead of flailing about and frantically splashing about while trying to swim. My dogs need to be able to swim good because lots of pigs are caught around water, especially in the hot summer months. If given the chance, pigs will TRY to evade the dogs by running to the water. That's a few of my summer time activities with the dogs.

• Like 2

Same daily walks as winter but without the work. I make sure they can sprawl out and bask in the sunshine too. As a wild predator would.

Then just step the excercise up as the days get shorter. All the excersise in the world wont get your dog match fit but it certainly gets the ball rolling. ;)

do you keep them on leads or what ? Mine would be hunting on same walks if i liked it or not

I live in the middle of open countryside, what do you think Chris... ;)

Road walks and started to walk the local fells inspired by fuji but my half x loves a bit of seagull patrol on the beach. Daft f****r keeps him happy running up and down

Hope your enjoying walking the fells buddy ..It's maybe not for everyone but when the weather's fair its good craic ..even when its torrential rain and gales I still go haha..back off up into the Highlands of Scotland camping again real soon,change of scenery for me and the pooches..can't beat it ?

• Like 2

Road walks and started to walk the local fells inspired by fuji but my half x loves a bit of seagull patrol on the beach. Daft f****r keeps him happy running up and down

Hope your enjoying walking the fells buddy ..It's maybe not for everyone but when the weather's fair its good craic ..even when its torrential rain and gales I still go haha..back off up into the Highlands of Scotland camping again real soon,change of scenery for me and the pooches..can't beat it

Do you camp near a road Fuji or do you drop the car off in a village or pub or something and backpack the tent and gear into the wilds? Do you take dry food for the dog? I feed a fair bit of meat and bone but it would go smelly after a day or so. (Always looking for good ideas and I love the wild places)

I feed raw generally MF but when I go out in the sticks its dry feed with tinned meat..thankfully mine are greedy fookers and will eat anything I put down for them..and yeah I backpack my gear into the wilds buddy,I enjoy it and I get to see some great views and lots of wildlife doing so ?

• Like 2

Just wondering what everyone on here does fitness wise with there dogs when you don't hunt them.

I just road walk mine and stick them on the lure if the ground isn't too hard, and when I can let him have a run around the fields.

But other than that I let mine rest and recover from the season.

Do you lot do anything in particular?

Or have any advice for me as I have only been running my dog for the last 2 seasons.

i let mine out every day just to stretch there legs for an hour

I run mine down the creeks close to the water and mostly at night when its cooler. But here where I live it can be 80 at night and 100% humidity so ya kinda gotta be careful. Coldest and hottest place on earth except maybe Iowa in my opinion. This state sux!

I'm looking to go to Romania next year hopefully, highs of 40c and lows of -20c, spring and autumn are pleasant temps . Do you have a limit on working temperatures you work the dogs in? If so what limits you, do the dogs have a certain amount of time on frozen ground?Is there a max temperature say25c?

I try to not run them when its much over 50F. As far as the cold goes it don't really matter. My dogs run on frozen plow all winter long.

• Like 1

I used to go to Hyde Park until my dog Benson started fecking around

If not after the 1st you’d think after the second time you’d not gone for a third time lol

• Like 1