Trapping Rabbits

been setting a few traps to thin out a few young rabbits...

As you can see, other than the imbra my preferred trap is a fenn rabbit.

I can't say why exactly but I have a better catch rate when using these compared to a mk6.

Edited by heritage

They look perfect for rabbits! Those jaws look a lot longer than the MK6, so must connect better around the rabbit?

Are they scarce on the ground? How long ago did they stop manufacturing them?

i think that the shape of the jaws on the Mk6 is wrong the power is there but it is delivered over too wide an area causing it to dilute, if the jaws tapered down to about 35 mill it would give more of a whack and less foul catches

i think that the shape of the jaws on the Mk6 is wrong the power is there but it is delivered over too wide an area causing it to dilute, if the jaws tapered down to about 35 mill it would give more of a whack and less foul catches

Hi Micky, I have found the opposite....I get better kills with the Fenn Rabbit than anything else.... :hmm:

It is the orientation of the opposing jaws - lesser surface area, extra power = greater killing pressure on contact

Excellent traps but they lost favour as they were not approved for tunnel use,money rabbits in holes, limiting their versatility

OTC

• Like 1

every time we stop ferreting ,we know theres going to be kits around ,you all know its impossible to clear all the rabbits no matter what ,the phone never stops ringing ,bloody rabbits everywhere ,yet what we do the bloody farmers wont pay a penny im sorry but after 40 years the rabbits can stay ,untill at least fuel is paid ,beggar them ive spent £1000s on fuel & equipment , its the last season for me feck em tight feckin farmers yet the hands in the pocket all the time for the molemen lol rant over ,feck the rabbits :laugh::whistling:

• Like 1

I think it's just a case of selecting the right tool for the job,....

I use imbra's on full grown rabbits & fenn rabbits to do any mopping up of young.

This is only on private or domestic work though, if I'm on agriculture and there's a chance of me losing traps I'll stick with a standard mk6.

90% of my trapping is burrow trapping, 5% on runs / fences with 116's and the remainder is typically garden rabbits using fens & home made tunnels....