I was wondering if any of the Pighunters in Oz ever came across Dingo whilst hunting and how the dog's react?? I thought maybe the smell of another canine would be of interest to the pigdog's and vice versa, or maybe when a dog lugs a boar has a Dingo ever ran in on the catch?? I ask this as recently a fox ran across the field when my dog caught a rabbit, my dog did'nt see the fox as it came behind and came up about 10yds and realised it was'nt going to be an easy meal and made a hasty retreat.

ALL THE BEST

MATTI

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

umm well when i have been out looking for wandering livestock we were out with the sighthounds, and i saw a dingo, but it got into the bush before the dogs saw it, i actually thought it was a small roo to start with till it turned side on and went off

the farmer whos place it was said his sheep had all jumped one part of the fence into another paddock a few days before, which was signs of a dingo, then the other farmer had a few sheep killed, still hanging around

have heard of hunters going into dispatch a pig only to realise there is a extra dog in there and sure enough a dingo. the Dog n pig dvd series the first one had his pig dogs come face to face with dingoes, they get out of there pretty quickly

plenty of dingo's near me and even more wild dogs.they tend to just frk of before you even get close .but on accasions yo uwill get one in the light that will stand for you to take a shot.the wild dogs are really casuing havoc in se qld aust at the moment and the councils are dcarrying out baiting programs so if ya out ya have to watch ya dogs..i have a mate that traps for a local council here and he is allways getting plenty

caught a dingo pup once but let it go my dogs just thought it was another pup and a pup we had just wanted to play but i know a fox hunter whos dogs killed one which makes sense for a tough fox dog in the spotlight but iv seen plenty of foxes come in on a sqeulin rabbit while the dogs have been on it but they piss off fast once i turn the dogs around

Cheer's Disturbed, you guy's are lucky to have all that game and space to hunt, is there any sort of anti hunting legion's that bother you in Oz???

nah nothing like what you poor b*****ds have to put up with over there, most ppl are either ignorant of hunting and dont even know it really happens, or they know it happens but dont really know anything about it

few freaks here but, qld vegan society forum shows us there i splenty of them nutcases

but all in all we're ok here, think they'd get a flogging if they did half what they did over there

Depends on where in Oz you are to what the dingoes are like- the ones I seen up Darwin way were taller and rangey looking, some of the ones on the nullarbor were more kelpie in size, quite small, but the ones I trap around here are mid sized almost collie-like in hair and structure,

Also the smell of a domestic dog is different to the dingo due to where they live and what they eat.

Ive had a couple of experiences with them both when mustering cattle when I was a youg fella and in the same area hunting deer. the first was we were mustering on a friends property the country is mostly thick scrub and deep gullies, the cattle back in those days only saw humans about twice a year. I sent a cattle dog and a kelpe into one of these gullies to find strays when an almighty blue broke out, what had happened was that they either stumbled on to the local dingo pack or they were stalking the dogs and decided that was a good spot to belt the dogs. any way I had to ride into the scrub to scare the dingoes off. the dogs came out ok and kept working but were a bit more cautious about diving into scrub after the cattle the rest of the day.

The second occasion I was tracking a deer with my dog that I had shot about 15mins. before when there was a slight rustle from the bush behind me when I turned there were 4 huge wild dogs/dingoes appeared on the track behind me as I raised my rifle they vanished as quick as they had appeared, I remember thinking at the time how silent they are in the bush. the property owner reconed the would have smelt the dog and would have killed him but I was between them and the dog and that is what saved him

Stevemac.