Bedlingtons For Cover Work

Sire is dug to all the time mate I am not in to digging my self but my bitch goes to ground has had a few but that's not my game I generally use her for bushing with the lurchers

If it was an old school bred bitch,throwing old school progeny,you would not be able to keep it out of the ground,nothing to do with "my game".the sad reality of Beddy life is that the majority bred is bushing material only,then advertised as genuine "old school" working bred.Its about honesty and not the sale of another pup,how much are they?.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working beddy type,would work all cover

Got one going on 9 years old bushed out well for the lurcher before her demise. Good marking dog for ferreting never tells lies. very poor coat everything sticks to it even when clipped close. Ok in c

great dogs ..but you can get most xs its work and plenty of it that makes any dog more work more experience learned , any dog wont learn stuck in a kennel all day ,i personally love beddys

I had a couple of pure Beddys and a Beddy X Black n Tan, but iam going back 30 odd years, they all bushed well enough when putting Hares out for the running dog, but i dont see enough out working these days to have a valid opinion on them now, if for bushing and only bushing i think i,d be looking for a good Cocker x terrier or maybe Beagle x Terrier if i wanted it to sing abit.

• Like 2

im using a pure bred Bedlington bitch for bushing at the moment she doesn't bark when behind game but whines instead, she works on scent if theres nothing In the cover she wont go in but if summats in shes in there, always keeps herself busy and seems half decent at marking aswell so will be introuducing her to ferreting this coming season, but would deffo own another for cover work

im using a pure bred Bedlington bitch for bushing at the moment she doesn't bark when behind game but whines instead, she works on scent if theres nothing In the cover she wont go in but if summats in shes in there, always keeps herself busy and seems half decent at marking aswell so will be introuducing her to ferreting this coming season, but would deffo own another for cover work

No such animal as a pure bred Bedlington,grafting lads have added their Fells/Lakeys etc to breed their idyll,the KC brigade will never admit what they have added and their pedigrees will never show the real lineage.Any dog can be encouraged to bush to some degree or other,its down to the owners working standards as to what is acceptable.Im of the opinion that an honest bred Bedlington that as an history of genuine earth working terriers behind it,will bush with far more determination and to a far higher standard than many of their purer bred?,cousins,again each to their own,if the dog suits then thats all that matters,its a lack of honesty and greed that is the Bedlingtons major adversary.

The bitch i have at the moment is strongly granitor bred yes she has papers but her sire still goes to ground and her dam is a keen ratting/bushing bitch, i also owned a 'honest bred bedlington that has a history of genuine earth woking terriers behind it' but he is now in a pet home my bitch made him look lazy he also wouldnt enter cover when another dog was in there preffering to wait outiside hit and miss if he would enter when out alone, but as things stand ive only owned the two so i cant really judge as they are both individuals

• 2 weeks later...