Bedlingtons For Cover Work

has anyone ever owned a pure bred bedlington for any sort of cover work?? I know that bedlington whippet X's are sometimes used for bits of cover work and I believe they are quite handy little tools in this department so just wondered how a pure bred would differ or possibly improve cover performance??

any comments appreciated,

ATB,

Tom Heavy

• Like 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working beddy type,would work all cover

Got one going on 9 years old bushed out well for the lurcher before her demise. Good marking dog for ferreting never tells lies. very poor coat everything sticks to it even when clipped close. Ok in c

great dogs ..but you can get most xs its work and plenty of it that makes any dog more work more experience learned , any dog wont learn stuck in a kennel all day ,i personally love beddys

You know that's one terrier that i have always been interested in but unfortunately from what i have read their is not that many of the real hardy type's about. Their are people on here that use them for that type of work and from what i have read they rate them highly, i have only seen them ratting ect on utube but would love to see one in the flesh so to speak. atb daywalker.

Edited by day and night walker

Got one going on 9 years old bushed out well for the lurcher before her demise. Good marking dog for ferreting never tells lies. very poor coat everything sticks to it even when clipped close. Ok in cold weather but in wet cold weather ferreting the dog suffers.Very good temperament around people/dogs /kids etc.

ferretingpics515_zps11b377d1.jpg

Edited by darbo
  • Like 4

Personally I think there are far better bushing dogs out there like a spaniel and a lot more obedient

Ill guarantee that input of yours as "NO FOUNDATION" borne from experience.Ive owned countless bushers over the years and i cannot think of any terrier entered right that would not make an excellent bushing companion.Yet the terrier that stands out for me is the Beddy and its hybrids,it as a certain edge that no other type offers,i base that on experience with bushers over 30 years and not crass naivety.Any dog bred to bush,Spaniels,Beagles and terriers will do the job with distinction,there is no "BEST" to be had,thats a fallacy better fitting the nuggets about,they all do a job of honest graft,its then down to the owners hunting lifestyle and what fits his or her purpose.Bedlingtons are as good as most and better than others,if bred and entered right.

• Like 3

There's some about with a touch of Lakeland in them they are saposed to be producing good stock but not my type of dog

Why?,the fecking breeding of any useful hunting dog is irrelevant,its how it hunts thats the most important factor.So a terrier that looks and works like a Bedlington as a little Lakey in the mix,whoopy fecking do,the majority of honest bred Lakey,s had some Bedlington in their heritage,wake up and smell the roses pal,its how it grafts and not how its bred.The Bedlingtons about that graft with any sort of honesty have Fell in the mix,they better represent the terrier of old that was called a Bedlington than the KC nonsense bred now,Im so glad they are not the type of dog that the nuggets adhere to.

• Like 1

many years ago i had a pair of beddys we worked huge bramble/blackberry banks not many dogs could work that type of tight cover ,the best day the dogs brought back 16 live rabbits to hand ,all hunted & caught without even seeing them

• Like 2