First Trip For The New Lynx

So come Sunday, finally got to take the new .177 lynx out for a proper go :) after checking zero quickly on the farm track, I drove down to the farm, what a lovely day, the sun was shining, birds singing, and just a hint of wild garlic wafting up from the wood behind a house at the bottom of the track, the trip was delayed slightly, as I was engaged in conversation with the farmers wife, for about twenty minutes (why do they always appear when all you want to do is shoot lol?)

Anyway after putting the world to rights I head on down the track past the farm, with the intention of shooting a little wood that I have not shot in for some time, as I am strolling along two woody's get up off the track, and one of them lands in a tree overhanging the track about 25 yards away, I quickly cock the lynx and send a Bisley magnum straight between his shoulder blades, down he crashes onto the track stone dead, not a bad start thinks me :thumbs:

So with pigeon safely in the game bag, I head up to the little wood, I climb under the wire and into the wood, I decided to sit in the bottom of a dry ditch, with the hedge to my back and a good sized post in front of me to rest on/break up the outline, I am just thinking its time for a fag, when about twenty five yards in front of me a squirrel climbs down an oak tree that has a fair sized hole in it, and sits in the sun, the problem was he was in the most annoying place possible, even though I could see him, there were bloody twigs just obscuring my shot, just as I am thinking I am going to have to risk moving, I spy another one eating shoots at the top of a tree 35 yards to my right, so resting on the post I centre the crosshairs on his skull and let fly another Bisley magnum, which hits him with a crack and down he drops, no2 in the bag. ;)

A fag and a coffee later and missing a pigeon due to branches :icon_redface: I decide I am going to walk down the side of the wood and warm up a bit in the sun, as I walk out into the field, to my left down the side of the wood, two squirrels are playing chase me about 40 yards away, I creep a bit closer when one of them spots me and legs it through the wood, the other one sits in an ash tree looking at me, down on one knee, and crack goes another Bisley on a squirrel skull and number three in the bag, after going back into the wood I dropped a Magpie stone dead about 45 yards away and could I find him, I must have looked for about fifteen minutes, but the damn thing had dropped into a really, really thick holly bush, and I reckon must have lodged in the holly near the top, so all in all a good first outing for the Cometa, this rifle is really growing on me now, then it was time to go home,back to civilisation, and the dreaded thought of work in the morning :cray: if only we did not have to work and every day could be spent shooting, fishing etc, I am sure if I did not HAVE to I would never set foot in a city again :good:

post-42748-0-01396200-1430170623.jpg

post-42748-0-20120600-1430170640.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing, great write up, glad you have started to enjoy your rifle, its certainly looks good, i like eating squirrel, with the pigeon you got and them squirrels id have a nice game fry up with a tin of new potatoes on the side :)

I like eating them too mate, but in this case these are destined for food for Grendel, my redtail hawk, and the pigeon is in the ferret cage as we speak ;) I do however have some recently harvested squirrel jointed up in the freezer, going to try and get out on the bunnies this week, so am thinking a rabbit/squirrel stew is on the cards.

• Like 1

Good read that was,sounds like a good session and a bit of variety in the shots to get to know the gun a bit,good bit of feed bagged and ended with a pic! Well done and that stew sounds nice...

• Like 1