Not strictly cage/aviary birds but maybe birds is birds i dont know.........a young lad close to me keeps pigeons and one of his chicks has been born with a completely deformed foot......will it still be able to fly or is it more sensible to cull it ?

Edited by gnasher16

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top is my champion berlin short face tumbler cock Yellow bokhara trumpeter Black african owl Voorburg shield cropper youngsters Another bob with bsft Copper berlin short face Adult voorburg Yo

My black doo just found me a young roller I lost a week ago.

He had it on the top section of a group of nestboxes and its of the age where either the parent birds have f****d it off or its got out the nest voluntarily but it was on the floor just sitting there.

Posted Images

I'm no pigeon man but if it happened to one of my finches i'd keep an eye on it and see how it affects the bird,does it look in pain,can it perch to roost and then take the needed action or non action,some pigeon men on here might know better though.. :thumbs:

Guest Navek

my old man is a pigeon man and he's had a couple were the foot is like a clump foot and acouple were the foot looks normal but its like it has no control over it (as if it has no bones or ligaments in it so unable to move or stand on it ) they all get culled

He had it on the top section of a group of nestboxes and its of the age where either the parent birds have f****d it off or its got out the nest voluntarily but it was on the floor just sitting there......he,s only a young kid and new to pigeons but i looked at the bird this morning and it dont seem right to me just leaving it so think i,ll go round in the morning and do the right thing.....i just wanted to make sure myself before upsetting him !

• Like 1

my old man is a pigeon man and he's had a couple were the foot is like a clump foot and acouple were the foot looks normal but its like it has no control over it (as if it has no bones or ligaments in it so unable to move or stand on it ) they all get culled

Thats it the toes are all crossed over each other and the bird just seems to lean on the whole leg rather than stand on the foot i dont think it has any control of the foot at all to be honest.

Guest Navek

Thats it the toes are all crossed over each other and the bird just seems to lean on the whole leg rather than stand on the foot i dont think it has any control of the foot at all to be honest.

Best to do the right thing gnash.did he notice if the foot was like this when he rung them or is he not planing on racing them it also could have broken it's leg if fell from top nest box but it's more than likely a deformity if all the toes are crossed over them selfs

Hard to say gash without seeing it, but if he's a young lad check what type of nest pans he uses if clay or plastic unlined either with felt or nest material the young sometimes can damage legs , I always prefer the paper bowls, just a thought

Right thanks mate he is using the clay type so possibly your right i,ll get him some of the paper bowls instead :thumbs:

I found with the longer legged pouters if there wasnt enough nesting material or single hatch you would get splayed legs easily cured with 2 rings and bit if string.foot deformity is more likely somthing that happened in the egg and not curable.Once had a voorburg cropper hatch that had no bumhole just filled up till i culled it at a few days old!

Havent got any birds at mo . They were just show birds never worked them . Used to have 300 + birds in partnership with my stepdad Ian. Had swifts and dewlaps flying out . Lovely to watch the swifts .Ian had african owls and bokhara trumpeters .also had oddsn sods as foster parents. Will get some pictures when i go to me mums. Would love to have more havent got space here.