Sighthound Temperaments

Hi,

Been thinking of getting a dog in the next few months (mainly as a pet but would like to give lure coarsing/racing a go) so I have been considering a sighthound. Could anyone give their opinion on typical characters/temperaments?

As I've always had terriers - jack russells and fox terriers - I'm a bit worried I'll miss the cheekiness of terriers (they can be right b*ggers but it makes them what they are).

At the moment I'm thinking about a whippet or maybe a saluki, but over here in Spain there are a lot of Galgos and Podencos if on the offchance someone has any experience with them too?

Cheers,

Callum

Ive got beddy whippet dog hes very loving and lazy indoors but very driven and terrier like when out and about ,suffers small dog syndrome like my old jack russel and doesnt like to be pushed around by bigger dogs.also got saluki grey bitch another lounge lizard but not as loving to rest of family as she is to me ,more tolerates them. hasnt got the manic hunting urge of the beddy /whippet. Just lost my full saluki young so cant tell u about his drive as never took him hunting , but he was bonded to the wife more than me and he loved the kids . I could see when we were out walking he was torn between playing with the other dogs and checking on the kids.and he would keep coming back to check on them .he also seemed very intelligent but strong willed

I keep a few pure saluki dogs if they exercised regular off leash n worked they simply vanish around the house no chew whatsoever just sleep n eat very affectionate great with kids good guard dogs these sorts much better too be around if they kept as part of family IMHO

Hi,

Been thinking of getting a dog in the next few months (mainly as a pet but would like to give lure coarsing/racing a go) so I have been considering a sighthound. Could anyone give their opinion on typical characters/temperaments?

As I've always had terriers - jack russells and fox terriers - I'm a bit worried I'll miss the cheekiness of terriers (they can be right b*ggers but it makes them what they are).

At the moment I'm thinking about a whippet or maybe a saluki, but over here in Spain there are a lot of Galgos and Podencos if on the offchance someone has any experience with them too?

Cheers,

Callum

if you like that cheeky temp ,and a dog that loves running a lure, get a racing pred whippet . I had little bitch she was great little dog , full of life and loved running the lure. the ped show whippets are ok, but you better of with racing stuff , some of the males go 31lb and have bit of staff in them gen's back , great dogs :thumbs:

If you want a pet/lure courser a whippet if you want a smaller animal or a galgo if you want something a little larger would be my choice. Both should be easily available and the galgos are bred workers n the main so should be pretty sound physically.

Yeah, probably from their past lives as you said. Sounds strange but a lot of people here with dogs don't care for their animals the same way as the UK. Doesn't seem in the culture.

Every year there are thousands of dogs abandoned at the end of the hunting season (don't know if it's because they were no good or they can't be arsed to look after them) and lots are killed by hanging, burning and even by being thrown from cars. Absolutely mental but this kind of treatment explains a bit why the ones I see (generally rehomed) tend to be so nervous.

Obviously it's not everyone but must a significant number for the sheer amount of galgos abandoned - in the South it's more common, and seems like if you drive on a motorway or go to the countryside at the end of the season you're going to find one at somepoint.

Obviously it's not everyone but must a significant number for the sheer amount of galgos abandoned - in the South it's more common, and seems like if you drive on a motorway or go to the countryside at the end of the season you're going to find one at somepoint.

I'd go for one of them galgos then, sounds like you could pick one up for the price of a drive along the motorway :whistling:

Seriously though you can't go wrong with a whippet, quiet as mice in the house but really full on and a barrel of laughs out mooching :thumbs:

No animal should suffer cruelty in my eyes being it good at what its for or bad half the trouble with these dogs suffering I believe is that the owner has lost money betting their dogs and then take it out on the dogs and really only they self to blame arse holes