Acd X Grew

I know I've said it before but...although I no longer own lurchers yours is one of the few that occasionally tempts me back every time I see her. :thumbs:

Another comment I've made before but...although I have kelpies because they were imported to the UK because of their working ability whereas most ACDs were imported because they look like ACDs; it doesn't seem to effect their ability to produce quality lurchers. That's supposed to be a compliment to ACDs though it sounded a bit cack-handed! :icon_redface:

Thanks Neal, and your right they do produce good lurchers, until I got this little bitch for the last few years I always had ACD first cross greyhound, all good workers but this little bitch has been the special one, her prey drive, scenting and ability to catch considering her lack of top end speed is great, still going strong at 7 but sadly probs my last dally with ACD,

Are there any working ACD's in the UK and anyone breeding lurchers from them? I love the look of your dog.

Working ACD's are few and far between, my bitch's sire worked the farm and joined in on pest control, being as my bitch is 7 I would think the dog is no more or too old, most of the other stock are show bred, having said that I have seen decent ACD Lurchers out of a show dog, but prefer working dogs.

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last of the Summer Wine Ferreting Team haha

How refreshing to hear lads still willing to try, a walk on the wild side..... I had a decade of great sport, good times and loyalty from my Cattle Dog lurchers.   Wish that I could 'do it all' ag

Posted Images

I know I've said it before but...although I no longer own lurchers yours is one of the few that occasionally tempts me back every time I see her. :thumbs:

Another comment I've made before but...although I have kelpies because they were imported to the UK because of their working ability whereas most ACDs were imported because they look like ACDs; it doesn't seem to effect their ability to produce quality lurchers. That's supposed to be a compliment to ACDs though it sounded a bit cack-handed! :icon_redface:

Thanks Neal, and your right they do produce good lurchers, until I got this little bitch for the last few years I always had ACD first cross greyhound, all good workers but this little bitch has been the special one, her prey drive, scenting and ability to catch considering her lack of top end speed is great, still going strong at 7 but sadly probs my last dally with ACD,

Are there any working ACD's in the UK and anyone breeding lurchers from them? I love the look of your dog.

Unless your a lurcher loving cattle farmer your'll be bloody lucky to find a acd working how they should here in the UK,but a working bred bitch pup was imported a while back from Germany to produce a lurcher litter.The pup has been taught to ferret etc but she won't ever work cattle as the owner is a welder/fabricator not a farmer :laugh:,

• Like 3

What do you think it is that gives her the edge over the previous ones you've had? Is it the addition of whippet (temperament/speed differences), the different ACD used, the sex (if your previous ones weren't bitches) or just experience...hers and yours? Genuine question. I sometimes wonder if some of the lurchers I didn't get on so well with in the past would do better with me now that I'm older and calmer and more easily pleased. When my kelpies get something wrong I now tend to say either, "Oh well; never mind," or else I'll assume I've done something wrong and they've misread me or vice versa. :whistling:

Edited by Neal
  • Like 5

What do you think it is that gives her the edge over the previous ones you've had? Is it the addition of whippet (temperament/speed differences), the different ACD used, the sex (if your previous ones weren't bitches) or just experience...hers and yours? Genuine question. I sometimes wonder if some of the lurchers I didn't get on so well with in the past would do better with me now that I'm older and calmer and more easily pleased. When my kelpies get something wrong I now tend to say either, "Oh well; never mind," or else I'll assume I've done something wrong and they've misread me or vice versa. :whistling:

The main difference is the strength of prey drive in the bitch, all the others had good prey drive and they were first x greyhounds and were all good at what they were introduced to taking everything in their stride, the little bitch has the edge, I started her at 10 months on a days ferreting, catching and holding in nets, and leaving a few nets off, a week later took her bushing where I knew there was myxy, she caught ten in her first hour, since then she has never looked back. The first x greyhounds from original ACD x were from show stock but worked well, the grew x from a farm dog/pest control so worked, maybe thats the difference, all my originals were dogs, this one a bitch.

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose that's what makes it so hard for people (sometimes) to find a good dog of a certain type after having owned one already i.e. it can be difficult working out precisely why it was so good compared to others.

I prefer my old kelpie Rusty for his character (photo in my avatar taken about eight years ago but he's still just about bimbling about at over fifteen) but I must say the little bitch, Scout, has a higher prey drive. Like yours she started ferreting early and then I hit a lucky myxy patch (lucky for her and me: not the rabbits) when she was about a year old. Unfortunately, the numbers around here have been bad for several years so she didn't get the chance to fully capitalize on her early potential. That's probably why the new pup is more interested in pheasant, fox and squirrel. :hmm:

• Like 1

Another factor in the cross which I have found and its just my view, I have always picked the heavier built, shorter coupled pup, the one that is more cattle dog looking than greyhoudy or racey built, I think these pups posses a greater prey drive than the more racey ones I am willing to to forsake top speed for the stronger working ability and stamina, none have top end gears of a speed merchant but are fast enough to do the job. You will have some fun with the Kelpies, as long as you are out and about with the dogs, scenting and hunting thats the main thing, you can only eat so much rabbit haha

• Like 4

She was mate and i still miss her,her brother is still at it and helps catch hundreds if not thousands of ferreted rabbits each year and a couple of years ago i went out and watch him for the day and a craftsman at work it was and as good a ferreting dog as i ever did see on film,in the flesh or read about :yes: ..The man who has him has a acd bitch he imported so in time i'm sure we'll be seeing another acd x in my kennels :laugh: .

As it goes i lost a terrier out at work today,the first dog i've lost since i lost her and it sure brings it all back,"it's a hard old game at times and many give their lives for it"..

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

I've wanted to give this cross a try for so long but never had the chance till now. This is going to be a longer road than buying in a pup but I have found a young cattle dog bitch. I've had her four weeks now and I really pleased with her in every way.

post-23657-0-17223700-1433436223_thumb.jpg

post-23657-0-69884400-1433436286_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

what you planning on putting her to.and when pal?

The story that came with the bitch is that she was bred by an Australian guy who emigrated here with her parents. She's only 10 month old so it won't be for a while I'm afraid. she is surpassingly sensitive and well behaved for a young dog. My plan is to start her ferreting and bushing/hunting and see how she proves her self. As for a stud dog I've not decided torn between a big strong greyhound or a fast supple lurcher line. As i said its a long way of. Id be interested to hear from anyone with pups bred the same way i,e cattle dog dam. Regards Gary.
  • 5 months later...