Help: .25 Cal Spring To Gas Ram Conversion

Hello,

Just after some advice on converting my .25 Cal spring rifle into a GAS RAM.

I've looked around the net and there's no definitive answer on how to do it for a .25, as much as there's pages upon pages for .177 and .22: I don't honestly know how the rules apply for any other calibre.

My main concern is, I've only see that Theoben make parts to fit a .177 and .22 and although they *may* fit the .25 (I'm no gunsmith, so don't quote me!) but would they affect the FPE for more greater than 12FPE or less than what I'm getting now? Affect the accuracy? Any thing else to consider?

If there are genuine and preferably, licensed parts, for .25 cal rifles, this would really help me out- I'd love you forever! :D

My goal is to reduce the recoil for a comfortable shot as well as to increase the accuracy and see if I can shoot any further with the .25 cal due to such changes, as I can shoot with my .22.

Ideally, I'd rather have comments and suggestions from people experienced modifying and tuning rifles, especially of the .25 flavour.

I'm not looking to be educated on .25 calibers either, I know enough already ;)

Thanks!

White x

When I was a kid, and with no idea about laws, I had the girlfriend at the times old man put a 177 Theoben GS into my 22 Lightning XL, I actually ordered the wrong one in hind sight. I had no idea how much power it was outputting I didn't care back then, I just used it for rabbits and enjoyed shooting overall... I still have it in fact, but its in bits in the loft. However, when I got round to crono'in it, it was doing 15.2... hence... its now in bits. You wouldn't believe that a simple 177 strut could bang out a 22 that hard, I know why it does, its just the shock of it when Id grown up.

Anyway. My thoughts on your post is that perhaps you should let this one go.. I hate to say it, there isn't a .25 strut available, and so anything you decide to do, will perhaps hinder the rifle, either in more power, or a lot less. There maybe one out there, I havent looked. There is the theory though, that if you say put a 177 in a 25, the weight of the pellet is so heavy that it could perhaps sit just right... but a 177 strut in a 22, shoots fine, its just way to hot and the seals give in in the end, which is why its now in bits :)

Did I say its in bits? If I didnt, its now in bits. In the loft. In bits.

• Like 1

if you want a smoother shot cycle go for a spring tuned . If gas rams were better than a spring there would be more rams about . I have a lightning standard spring that broke ,then a gas ram that leaked ,then a tuned spring that is still ok . The the gas ram was better than the standard spring ,but the tuned spring is the best of all , as far as I feel . I will never fit a gas ram in a spring gun again but I still wonder about a hw 90 that I may try one day .

• Like 1

When I was a kid, and with no idea about laws, I had the girlfriend at the times old man put a 177 Theoben GS into my 22 Lightning XL, I actually ordered the wrong one in hind sight. I had no idea how much power it was outputting I didn't care back then, I just used it for rabbits and enjoyed shooting overall... I still have it in fact, but its in bits in the loft. However, when I got round to crono'in it, it was doing 15.2... hence... its now in bits. You wouldn't believe that a simple 177 strut could bang out a 22 that hard, I know why it does, its just the shock of it when Id grown up.

Anyway. My thoughts on your post is that perhaps you should let this one go.. I hate to say it, there isn't a .25 strut available, and so anything you decide to do, will perhaps hinder the rifle, either in more power, or a lot less. There maybe one out there, I havent looked. There is the theory though, that if you say put a 177 in a 25, the weight of the pellet is so heavy that it could perhaps sit just right... but a 177 strut in a 22, shoots fine, its just way to hot and the seals give in in the end, which is why its now in bits :)

I'd make sure it's in bits just to be on the safe side. Take it to bits and put it in the loft in bits, lol...

I agree with what you say, a .177 strut will almost certainly take a .22 or .25 well over 12ft lbs.

• Like 1

I had a good feeling that this would be the case, more so, if it wasn't going to fire pellets into FAC specs, it would be firing pellets like a BB gun, bouncing off targets :D

Much appreciated for your comment anyway :thumbs:

if you want a smoother shot cycle go for a spring tuned . If gas rams were better than a spring there would be more rams about . I have a lightning standard spring that broke ,then a gas ram that leaked ,then a tuned spring that is still ok . The the gas ram was better than the standard spring ,but the tuned spring is the best of all , as far as I feel . I will never fit a gas ram in a spring gun again but I still wonder about a hw 90 that I may try one day .

I have considered tuning it up but then I've always thought that all springs will wear over time, no matter if it's cheap or expensive.

However, I never considered that Gas Rams could leak, whether I've missed articles on it or it's rather unheard of.

I think I'll give Mattybugeye a shout when I've got my funds together or try and head to SFS and see what they can suggest and do for me.

Thanks for the help pal, really appreciate a new perspective too.

:thumbs:

I have considered tuning it up but then I've always thought that all springs will wear over time, no matter if it's cheap or expensive.

However, I never considered that Gas Rams could leak, whether I've missed articles on it or it's rather unheard of.

I think I'll give Mattybugeye a shout when I've got my funds together or try and head to SFS and see what they can suggest and do for me.

Thanks for the help pal, really appreciate a new perspective too.

:thumbs:

the xs spring are stupid powerful if only they would loose a bit of power . If the spring does loose a bit of power a washer can bring the power back up easy if the gun has a largish air cylinder like lightning ,hw 97k ,95 or 80 ect . If I go hunting I often dont cock my gun until I see something I did got the ram to leave the gun cocked ...but it didnt hold up to long periods of staying cocked .

Edited by barrywhite
  • 3 weeks later...