Same Old Question? (Maybe)

Hi All

have read and read about advantages and disadvantages of .22lr and .177HMR.

I realize the .177 is much louder even with the moderator fitted, what I really need an answer on is:- If you are shooting rabbits at 120-150 yards how much does the noise affect the remaining rabbits in the area, do they all bolt or do the majority still stay around, I have watched lots of videos with the.22 shooting at about 60yards and the rabbits all tend to stay around you can carry on shooting them.

I have not seen or cannot find/confirm videos of .177HMR shooting rabbits and viewing what the remaining bunnies do?

Any one with experience of this with the .177 I would really welcome your views.

Kind Regards

Gary.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's 17 HMR.   There isn't an answer to your question, it's about the acoustics of the specific area and the history of the rabbit population.   You can blat away at them all day in some places at

Basc lol they fuckers have already sold your soul to the devil along with lead based ammunition

First off it .17HMR.

A high velocity .22lr will be just about as noisy as a HMR, its just a different sort of crack.

A sub sonic .22lr with a moderator will be much quieter.

HMR is a very effective rabbit control tool, as is the .22lr, they tend to be used in different environments.

It isn't so much about noise, as what you need to use, if you are talking about bunnies 120-150 yards I don't see the .22lr as a contender, you need a HMR, so whatever noise it makes you are stuck with.

:thumbs:

Thanks Deker, I know where you are coming from, subsonic 22 for shorter range, 177hmr for long range, my question is though, if we were shooting them at 120-150 yards with HMR then what is the reaction of the other local bunnies?

I am not saying that I cant shoot them at shorter range with sub at 22, but just wondered what effect the noise has out to 120-150 with hmr.

Else where I have seen recommendations for 22 at night and 177hmr during the day, thats ok, but gain do you get 1 shot off with the hmr then the bunnies all sod off?

Regards

Gary.

It's 17 HMR.

There isn't an answer to your question, it's about the acoustics of the specific area and the history of the rabbit population.

You can blat away at them all day in some places at distance, in other places after the first shot it's a ghost town!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 4

All is clear now, having different areas to shoot I will go for 22lr and see how I get on and how many times I can get in range, if i need the 17 for longer distance I will get that and i suppose if they all sod off after the 1st shot I can go off aound the other areas and come back to them at a later time.

Thanks for the info, never thought about the acoustics of the actual area you are shooting in but it all makes sense from what you have said.

No substitute for experience, my question answered,many thanks again for your time, trouble and patience! (.17) :-)

Shotgun shooter mainly but coming back into rifles after last using .22 and .303 (Enfield) in the air training corps, how things have changed, wonder if I would still get my crossed rifles badge?

Kindest Regards

Gary.

The effect of the noise on rabbits varies, sometimes they are not disturbed. I think it is more often the "thwack" as the round strikes close by that bothers them. I've had one go down and a buck try and mount it after it fell - I got him as well ! :)

The bit about .22 for night and HMR for day - again variable depending on location. Using NV with the HMR means you don't have to so critical in your range estimation (which is difficult at night).

• Like 1

I've taken a few foxes with a hmr between 40-100 yards. It does the job well I just personally only go for headshot. If foxes are high on the agenda why not put in for a .22 CF like the little .22 Hornet or like me a .22-250 all are very capable rounds as are many others providing their used within their limitations

HMR is a small low power round for fox. It will kill it but you need to keep distances relatively short and shots accurate.

Many forces will no longer authorise it as good reason for foxes although if you have it authorised for other reasons with AOLQ, then there's nothing to stop you shooting them with it, provided you ensure clean kills. Do otherwise, and you may fall foul of cruelty legislation.

However, there are better tools for foxing - think most CF's between Hornet through the .22X's to .243 depending on distance, noise and ammo cost considerations.

@ James, If you have a PCP Airgun why not go FAC Air for close rabbits and HMR or Hornet for long? I would have thought a good mod on FAC air would have been as quiet as .22LR subs and it would be cheaper not to have buy a 2nd gun.

BTW, if you don't want to reload, .17 Hornet is reputed to be a good out of the box round for fox at short to medium range. It's flatter shooting than .22 Hornet but carries less energy.

HMR is a small low power round for fox. It will kill it but you need to keep distances relatively short and shots accurate.

Many forces will no longer authorise it as good reason for foxes although if you have it authorised for other reasons with AOLQ, then there's nothing to stop you shooting them with it, provided you ensure clean kills. Do otherwise, and you may fall foul of cruelty legislation.

However, there are better tools for foxing - think most CF's between Hornet through the .22X's to .243 depending on distance, noise and ammo cost considerations.

@ James, If you have a PCP Airgun why not go FAC Air for close rabbits and HMR or Hornet for long? I would have thought a good mod on FAC air would have been as quiet as .22LR subs and it would be cheaper not to have buy a 2nd gun.

BTW, if you don't want to reload, .17 Hornet is reputed to be a good out of the box round for fox at short to medium range. It's flatter shooting than .22 Hornet but carries less energy.

Where do you get that information, the new Home Office guide lists it as appropriate/suitable for foxes!

As a blanket statement there are not better tools for foxes, the HMR is the BEST tool for foxes in many circumstances, as other calibres may be in other circumstances.

a hmr will dispatch a fox to 150 yards if the accuracy is there i saw a chap shoot one stone dead at 172 yards checked with a rangefinder prior to the shot whilst zeroing and practising