Brownies For Tea

Took the lad down to the river this morning to catch some wild brownies for tea. Its a very snaggy small river and we're probably the only ones who fish it as it is vastly overgrown with steep banks covered in nettles. So travelling light with an extendible landing net is the order of the day. The limit here is two fish over 10" and we caught our first one within 15 minutes of starting, last another 20 minutes later and caught our limit soon after. Back home within the hour before 9am:

P1010068_zpsyrqdibvm.jpg

P1010069_zpshhyhmfgc.jpg

We just cook them simple filled with some freshly squeezed lemon and herbs, all wrapped in foil and baked for about 20 minutes. They taste fantastic as long as the river has been running clear for a week or two.

Chris

• Like 7

Result :victory: .............what you catch them on ?

I must confess that they were caught on freelined worm. On this part of the river you're allowed to fish for them from the 1st April using worm, lure or fly. But due the snags and the inaccessibility issues and all the overhanging trees the worm is the only way. As part of the club which is mainly coarse fishing on 11 miles of river we have just opened up a further trout section for fly only where the banks are low and clear and there is a good head of wild brownies.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

i have never eaten brown trout before, love rainbow trout is it similar. ive been doing a fair bit of reservoir fishing lately at derwent for stocked rainbow as my last year fishing the rivers around Durham was a bit poor, just plagued by small brownies, barbell and the odd chub.